Surviving "the bomb"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......So for anybody planning to bug-out in the event of Nuclear Armageddon or looking for a place to go build an off-grid cabin or bunker here's a link to a Nuclear Blast simulator.

Back when they were constantly updating the scenarios of a nuclear exchange (during the Cold War) some places survived some scenarios but not others. There were of course a few places (in the US) that NEVER survived. DC of course, most large cities, and most of the state of Nebraska (central to Strategic Air Command)

There was only ONE place that ALWAYS survived: Most of the state of Idaho. Only a single low priority military target in the state, no nationally/internationally significant cities, low population, and the rest of the state was/is protected by mountain ranges or other natural boundaries.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Me, if I survived the initial blast and radiation, I would do my best survive, like most of us, but would take a bullet on first sign of radiation disease.
Chance for a nuclear world war? Zero. I doubt even terrorists and N. Korea would use them. Threaten yes, use no.

Edit: living on Grand Cayman, a place nobody would even think of nuking, our danger is the cessation of importation of food and fuel. All our water is desalinated using electricity generated with bunker oil, 99% of food imported.

Most people here would die within a month or two in a such scenario.
Me and my family, some Caymanians, Jamaicans and Filipinos would make it.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No. Boats need imported fuel.
Those nationals I mentioned are coming from simple ( more "primitive") backgrounds and have the skills. Older Caymaniand too? Me and very few from North America and Europe have military survival training.

The rest hardly know how to cook from scratch. Modern people. Women shudder if they have to touch anything else than a deboned, skinless, plastic wrapped chicken breast.

But fresh water will be the biggest problem for everybody long term. To do an evaporation still is easy, but the containers from plastic disintegrate within a year, and metal type oildrums rust to nothing in the same period.

No fresh water where I live (Seven Mile Beach strip) and the only decent ground water is in East End and supposedly in West Bay, areas I would not venture into in case of extreme circumstances.
Food? For me easy. Can get Iguanas on land, fish in the canal. Shoot and snare birds. Fruit and veg from the garden.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
Cheshire
Views so different on NATO in the east that they queued up to join.

Quite agree. Interestingly enough, I did 14 yrs in the RAF during which time we were given our yearly dose of how evil the Warsaw Pact was etc....Fast firward to 2000 and after leaving the mob and having been a copper for ten years I ended up in Kosovo as part of the UN Police working alongside Russians, Poles, Ukrainians, Hungarians,Bulgarians,Czechs, Slovaks, Azerbaijanis....you name it...they were there. What did they all have in common?....even the Russians...?.....they were glad to be freed from the yoke of the Soviet Union"........and were subsequently able to work alongside Brits, Yanks, Frogs, Spanish...you name it, they were there. Something that ten years earlier whilst I was in the RAF would have been thought impossible.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
True. It was a quite stupid generalisation of those people. But a very large majority never were Communist, and would hardly obey the officers in case of war. At best thy would be very unwilling soldiers, prone to defection at the first opportunity. The Czechs for example deeply hated the Soviet boss, tried to break away in the early 60's, but got invaded.
( I was an officer in the Swedish Army -79 tp -82)

The knowledge about the own "reluctant WP soldier" during the Cold War made the likelyhood of Nuclear attack more likely, as those officers and soldiers were handpicked from the believing Communists.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Cannot boats be rowed, paddled and sailed without using fuel? One of the mistakes that the Eastern tribes loosely known as Sea Peoples made was to adopt the use of motors thereby tying themselves tightly to the land's cash economy. Peoples almost everywhere with access to a coast, from north to south lived well without modern goods. No reason that latter day survivors could not.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To adopt a motor boat to a sail boat is beyong most people. You need a mast and associated winches, cleats and do on, plus a keel. Not easy to do on a glassfibre hull.

Rowing is more feasible, but difficult if the boat has high sides.

Of course some skilled person would make a living making small sailboats, but it would take time before enough were made before the numbers could contribute to the food supply.
The small sailing boats used by our local sail club would be very precious in the beginning I think.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Last year I made some mental exercises what to do in case the Ebola spread worldwide, including to this small Island, and did indeed make some prophylactic preparations.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Weren't a flotilla of motorboats sailed to the West Indies in WWII because they had insufficient fuel for the whole journey? Of course a lot of things would be difficult but humans are ingenious. Leeboards are good.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
To adopt a motor boat to a sail boat is beyong most people. You need a mast and associated winches, cleats and do on, plus a keel. Not easy to do on a glassfibre hull.
You don't need most of this. Lookup crabclaw rigs.

Most displacement hulls are readily adaptable to sail, just don't expect them to be fast.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats what I was thinking. People in the past didnt have fancy rigging, -yet they sailed.

And we have one big advantage over them; we have access to sailing texts.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
What I do find odd is the insistence of some that across the North Sea in the early Dark Ages that they didn't have sails. Afloat the power of the wind is obvious and even a leafy branch can be used as a basic downwind sail. Crabclaws are interesting, add a basic double hull and you have a fast sailing boat but sprits are easy. http://www.christinedemerchant.com/sail_sprit_sail.html

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Getting parts and materials after a breakdown of transport will not be possible.

Easier to build a boat from scratch using local resources will be the best option.
Remember, we discuss a scenario after a devastating event.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Tree trunks, fire, chopping tool, possibly tree roots for sewing and there is a hull or two. Sails of whatever, bed sheets from a now defunct hotel perhaps that also might provide plywood sheeting for another hull possibility.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE