Survivalist Les Stroud

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Have anyone seen these programs on Discovery?? :wink: It's about survival-expert Les Stroud who takes the challenge to survive/live in the wild, for 5 days... Only equipped with an SAK, carkeys and a few other stuff + camera equipment, which he was not allowed to use, for survival.

http://www.exn.ca/OneWeek/watch/

All episodes can be watched on the internet, though quality is not the best! :biggthump Interesting programs and very usable! :wink:

Watch them! :) :biggthump :wink:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
http://www.wildernessfilms.ca and Les' email is canoe@surenet.net Les talked with us @ Equipped for help in this series. Les is very competent in the Canadian Bush, but actually took crash courses from local instructors for each area he visited. Les abhors the survivalist, expert persona and when he makes a mistake it shows up in the film ( his bark shelter in the first episode was built at a poor angle to his personal dismay.)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Les abhors the survivalist, expert persona and when he makes a mistake it shows up in the film ( his bark shelter in the first episode was built at a poor angle to his personal dismay.)

how very refreshing, its much more interesting to watch someone who does not edit out their mistakes and try to make thems selves look like a bush superman.

no one gets it right all the time not even the indigenous people

thats why i used to like watching les hiddens very very knowledgable but not afraid to show when things go wrong

that way people know what to expect and are not dismayed when their tinder will does not light first time in the rain and put off the outdoors, which is what happens if TV indoctrinates them to belive that there are superhuman outdoors men out there who never faulter

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I agree Stuart ... you can learn so much from seeing the mistakes of others.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Adi watch me and your learn loads :wink:

The how not to variety.

We suffer from a cult of the celebrity. if its on the telly it has to be true and their way is the only way. I met a lad on a recent course. he is a film editor. he told me a story about a very famous actress that took nearly 20 hours filming to do 4 minutes of dialog.

She went on to get an oscar. You can make anyone look good if you take enough time and throw enough money around.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Stuart said:
thats why i used to like watching les hiddens very very knowledgable but not afraid to show when things go wrong

I contacted ABC to find out if Les would be doing anymore programmes but, alas, he will not. He's now back teaching the army as a reservist.

I still maintain that the 'Bushtucker Man' series were the best I've ever seen, if not for the useful information about outback Australia, then just for the awesome scenery and - I'll get beaten up for this - the atmospheric and almost-cool music!

Glad someone else enjoyed watching the films as much as I did.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
MarkG said:
Can any one tell me how to save the files localy I hate streaming. (I really should know how to do it but...)
I don't think it is possible ... the server streams the content to you and prevents you from having access to the full files.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Does anybody know other online survival/bushcraft/wilderness shows?? Like Les Stroud's... :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE