are we still allowed to be survivalists?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
bushcraft v survival - one and the same or different?

as a child I was a cub then a scout - in both due to the rarety of such things as gas stoves we practised what would be considered a basic skill - firelighting with nothing but matches and what was to hand for tinder then cooking tea on it. looking back at the old scout handbook - that was a survival manual but we didn't know it at the time and we regularly made bivvi's out of natural materials and proper safe fires.

as a teenager I watched eddie magees short lived series on survival for kids where he took kids my age into the woods and showed them how to survive for a few days and what they could eat to stave off hunger. good waching and probably only in the yorkshire tv area as thats where magee made his name tracking barry prudom around malton. next came peter duncan doing lofty's survival course and the excellent 'now get out of that'.

This led to a purchase of the big old lofty book and a subscription to survival weaponry and techniques a grand old publication which was part bushcraft/survival/self sufficiency and part survivalist manual with weapon tests and such long before the hungerford and dunblane incidents. Both of these and the magee book stressed that survival is a way of life and effects everything you do, forward planning, suitable training and expecting the worst meant that I always thought ahead and as usual overpacked when compared to my companions.

The army added a little to my general knowledge but the basics have remained the same for the past 60 years get an old raf or sac manual and see - if anything we are now a bit squeamish regards where our food comes from - in my day we had to catch and kill a sheep to feed the platoon.

As I left the army a new buzzword was springing around - bushcraft - centered around our buddy ray mearsafter his little 10 minute sequences on bbc2's 'tracks' programme - these were often to tame to be called survival so it was downgraded. Some people especially americans and UK forces regard it as a bit wimpy but his first book was a survival manual afterall so I can forgive him wanting to live comfortably, the tracks team tried to find a replacement when he left and went solo but that too fizzled out.

TV tried a few copies where they stuck people in different climates and scenarios which was very reminiscent of the earlier 'now get out of that' or even the 'adventure game', hugh mcmanners tried to take the mears slot but the public didn't like his idea of a bucket of blood being a suitable challenge prize regardless of its nutritional value and it soon went away. next came the daft desert island reality tv shows and the 'survivor' franchise neither inspired much confidence leaving the floor free for ray to mop up.

It takes him where he wants to go but I'll be honest while entertaining lenny in the jungle or joanna on the tropical island were more educational than rays stage managed extravaganza's. Hopefully he'll go proper back to basics so the general public understand what its all about and go wonder around the local forest rather than the amazon basin. Maybe then people will pay more attention to polution, conservation and the enviroment on their doorsteps.

worldwide interests in aboriginal and woodcraft skills are picking up - there's a lot of web based slagging off of dear old Ray - its a shame as they have many decent gurus like ron hood or doug ritter.(Maybe the american survivalist fraternity should realise that they're part of the reason the likes of al quaeda have the knowledge to improvise explosives so readily to hand with publications such as the anarchists cook book).

I dont do bushcraft per se - I do do survival - I teach the kids that its camping without the kit - bushcraft I regard in a similar vein as the difference between a tent and a caravan. I can do both the ray mears and the rambo type stuff if and when they're called for.

survival is having a sewing kit and plasters in your wallet, a swiss army knife and some matches at all times, checking and planning for the worst regardless of how sunny it is or how full the fuel tank is - in short its doing.

bushcraft is to me anyway mainly learning with a bit of practise to make life a bit more comfortable while camping or surviving. its nice to be able to use a firedrill to make a fire but its probably more important to have dry matches or a firesteel and the knowledge to make them work for you.

In short I regard bushcraft still as survival with an even bigger rucksac - its learning what should never have forgotten. As a scout leader I used to teach 18 year olds stuff I learnt as an 8 year old - too much PC not enough common sense. I love the nordic right to roam and have a fire - unfortunately our current crop of teenagers would burn the uk forests down in milliseconds. :(

I'm not trying to pan bushcraft as its allowed all those ninpara survival schools (yes such a company did exist up on the north yorkshire moors) to rebadge and find a new willing audience under names such as woodsmoke etc.. I hope the rise continues but also that it acknowledges and teaches the basics as it goes on.

I hope it makes sense - I didn't want to go on too long - hopefully the responses will pad out the arguaments.

Improvise Adapt Modify Overcome :)

tea and buns

Dave C

another intersting thing I've noticed is that the original survival schools were primarily ex forces run - now the bushcraft schools are often run by second and third generation survivalists who've never had the military experience and so approach it with a little more panache - I was taught to saw my way out a downed aircraft and kill every russian paratrooper in my path - now I would be told not to tread on the bluebells - I try to practise a mixture of the two :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You can call yourself what you like mate... ;)

It's a subject that's been discussed from time to time here. I think the general consensus is that "survival" is more bare-knuckled trying to stay alive, whereas "bushcraft" is about being comfortable and enjoying your surroundings. Survival is what you have to do, bushcraft is what you want to do.

Another distinction I came up with in previous discussions is that survival is "goal-oriented" ("we need to get a fire lit in the quickest and most efficient way possible") where as bushcraft is more "process-oriented" ("I want to light a fire using this particular technique").

At the end of the day there's a lot of overlap and it's probably not worth worrying about that much. But I doubt that many of us will ever need to saw ourselves out of an aircraft and take on the Russian army... ;)

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Dave,

I started out exactly the same way, the 70's and 80's was when survival training was what it was badged as.

For me those skills never leave you (if you practice them) and are still valid.

there have been several threads about the difference, if any between survival and bushcraft, have a nose in the archives.

For me survival is all about being in a bad situation and having the skills to get back to civilization.

Bushcraft is about having the skills to go in to the wild and live in comfort, still have a way to go yet, with a minimum of kit, rather than a big rucksack :)

In theory I have the skills to;
Find, and make potable, drinking water - survival/bushcraft skill
Build and maintain a fire - survival/bushcraft skill
Build a shelter and a bed - survival/bushcraft skill
Trap meat/fish - survival/bushcraft skill
Identify certain edible plants - survival/bushcraft skill
Make cordage - survival/bushcraft skill

The list goes on but the skill sets remain applicable to both labels.

The difference for me between the two labels is one of situation only and in theory if your bushcraft skills are good enough, bar an accident, the survival situation shouldn't occur - probably wishful thinking on my part but good planning and preparation mitigate most potentially bad situations.

Good post Dave, bound to provoke debate :)

Moduser

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
moduser said:
For me survival is all about being in a bad situation and having the skills to get back to civilization.

Bushcraft is about having the skills to go in to the wild and live in comfort, still have a way to go yet, with a minimum of kit, rather than a big rucksack :)

This is the way I see it.

For me, Bushcraft also touches many traditional skills that are not necessary to 'survive', but enable a comfortable living in the 'wilderness' - carving, constructing semi-permanent shelters, leatherwork, flint knapping, making cordage etc. etc. etc.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
it just seems that the americans have given our craft a bad name - rebadging it seems to have saved it - but who are we kidding :) its bushcraft but we practise survival skills

another bad trait is that everything has to be SAS nowadays especially on ebay - now I've worked with them on occasions and I dont think they cared what underwear they were wearing :eek:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Personally I see Bushcraft and Survival as two different things. Indeed they are related I beleive Survival is an aspect of nature is life taking - the odds are against you - do what ever is necessary to stay alive or is used in a combat situation of an escape & evasion situation. Bushcraft on the other hand is- the land as life giving and that providing you have the knowledge of our ancestors, you can live comftobly in the environment. This disincludes the needless distruction or defilement of the land and is about being at one with it and giving back some of what you take.

Yes it seems nowadays people are attracted more to the survival aspect of things. I think the media has wrongly attracted people into this, by inspiring an aspect of romantisism in it and encouraging people to prove 'how man they are' etc, etc.

I'd agree with you that Ray Mears is a bit or a porker now and I think hes become a bit of a greedy ******* since he'd been on telly, what with tracks, Ray mears extreme survival and the establishment of Woodlore, etc, but regardless of his physical and financial state, I think hes in the right frame of mind with the outdoors. Hes got more of a spiritual connection with indigenous peoples and the land, which is somthing more than the American outdoorsman have. I'l make an acception with Tom Brown though.
My dad had an old Eddie McGee book and to be honest after going through it over the years I'v come to the conclusion old Eddie is a bit of a 'fantasizer'. Although all is forgiven now the poor old bugger has died.
Lofty Wiseman's book the SAS SURVIVAL HANDBOOK, I think is one of the best. Its crammed with really good ideas. However I dont agree with all of them, but most, I still remain sinical.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Flip side of the same coin IMO, just wait till someone labled as a "Bushcrafter" by the press goes on an orgy of violence with a hand carved wooden spoon and it will evolve into another word ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Guys, pack it in will you. This isn’t the place to discuss if someone’s put on weight or if they make more money than you like them to. I’m happy for you to express your opinions on survival and bushcraft, everyone’s got one but please make sure it’s in keeping with the tone of the forums. It gets tiresome having to go through posts removing comments that are inappropriate.

There’s some great points raised already and I can see the makings of a good thread, a lot of differences in perspective are derived from where you come from and how you gained your initial knowledge and experience, some people find it easy to separate the two, some don’t and they see it all as one but applied in different ways, depending on the situation.

Yes, there did used to be a lot of military based survival schools, there’s still a few of them about, some have moved over to bushcraft, maybe by choice, maybe some through necessity and there’s a lot of schools that come from a different angle, most don’t miss out the important stuff on how to survive, it’s just not all they teach, they try to lead people into a life long journey rather than a short sharp shock of an education.

In this world there’s a place for everyone and may different points of view, there’s lots to learn from a lot of different people, we generally gravitate to people that fit in with how we want to be taught, that’s the beauty of freedom and the great thing about having a variety of companies and people we can turn to for help in learning bushcraft and survival.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are in my book Dave! People get strung out by words and prejudices. Ignore them and call it whatever you want if you enjoy it

Red

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I must be on the wrong track, completely, I just see it as an interesting and absorbing hobby, in a sphere I know little about...I missed out on that bit.

Goals and a list of achievements, just leave me cold.

Enjoy it, if you will, but why lose sweat on its definition? I cannot see the point, I do not know if there has to be one.

Ceeg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That’s just how most people see it, they do what they enjoy, they do the things that they enjoy, some are into hunting, some into mycology more than shelter building and some are into everything they can be. We all take from it what we can and what we want to.

You’ve got it right British Red, call it what you want and enjoy it. Seagull, there doesn’t have to be one, it’s down to the individual.

To me it’s all much of a muchness, I use BBQ lighter fluid for a fire if I think it’s appropriate or I use a match with carefully prepared tinder if I think that is, or I find myself with just the one and I have to make it count! If I mess that up I can fall back on rubbing sticks together. It’s great having choices on how to do things and when to do them, sometimes we don’t though and that’s a different kettle of fish and that’s what defines things in my mind, but that’s just me.

leon-1

Dave this is something that you will recognise.

"The Situation Dictates"

I heard this from someone not that long ago and I thought that it summed it up pretty well.

"If you are in a situation and your skills and knowledge are at a high enough degree to just about prolong your life then you are surviving, however if you are in a situation and your knowledge and skills are such that you can exist quite happily, you have ceased to be a survivor because you are now living the life and are not just surviving."

Bushcraft to me is the practice of aquiring the skills that will allow me to not "just survive", but to live quite happily:)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The dictionary generally describes survival as 'coming through an unwanted, miserable situation in one piece'.

For me, learning the skills necessary to do just that was important enough. Now that I have mastered the majority of those skills, and can 'survive' without having to suffer unnecessarily, I have tanscended from a survivor to a bushcrafter. It is to me, the difference between surviving and thriving.

Survival is forced upon you by circumstance. Bushcraft is a lifestyle choice. The skillsets may well cross over between one and the other but it is the mindset that makes them different.

Eric

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
we are all here with different ideas of what is or isn't bushcraft / survival, like is beach combing bushcraft, is using a Bovril cube survival. For me, well I just want to learn about this planet that i share with you all. It all comes down to "whats in a name" and dont judge to harshly just because i prefer a Ka-bar to an Alan Wood
(I actualy prefer a brusletto or a Jarvenpaa ) but that too is just in a name. some of us remember a time when all we had was survivalism but personaly I like to have the choicesome days survival some days bushcraft, throw in a bit of E&E or stalking or camping or bird watching and it all equates to a love of the Great Out Doors
p.s. I do not say the last bit as a religeous statement just an observation

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Eric_Methven said:
The dictionary generally describes survival as 'coming through an unwanted, miserable situation in one piece'.

For me, learning the skills necessary to do just that was important enough. Now that I have mastered the majority of those skills, and can 'survive' without having to suffer unnecessarily, I have tanscended from a survivor to a bushcrafter. It is to me, the difference between surviving and thriving.

Survival is forced upon you by circumstance. Bushcraft is a lifestyle choice. The skillsets may well cross over between one and the other but it is the mindset that makes them different.

Eric
I've spent the last ten minutes trying to explain what you have just done so. but much clearer than I ever could :You_Rock_

To me the art of survival is to find yourself in a horrible situation and no matter how miserable you get, staying alive despite all the odds. Bushcraft is the art of learning not just surviving, but making sure that your survival is as comfortable as your skill and knowledge is able.

We all laugh at the old films like the Swiss family Robinson where a few months after they are marooned, they have constructed a house with fences, corrals wash hand basins, washing machines etc. But to me that is the art of bushcraft taken to the extreme. Take an uncomfortable life threatening situation and make it as good as you can.

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
Hey, I just love to backpack as far away from the maddening crowds as I can get. I'm not interested in racing from point a to b, with as little as possible, or living as rough as possible and being macho about skills. It's about walking in the backcountry, seeing places few others get to see, and having a great time.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
demographic said:
Flip side of the same coin IMO, just wait till someone labled as a "Bushcrafter" by the press goes on an orgy of violence with a hand carved wooden spoon and it will evolve into another word ;)

sounds good - all we need a few mushrooms in a field stew then a half starved crafter running rampant in the neighbouring caravan site in search of protein :)

maybe we could say that survivalists wear DPM and crafters wear OD then :bluThinki

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I go to work to survive, it is something I have to do to put food on the table.
I do DIY in the home to improve my situation, I don't have to, if I lived in the woods it would be bushcraft I suppose.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I have been looking through the back stuff that I'd missed over the years and read the various discussions - I think that basically every skill is a survival one - its only when we use it everyday that it becomes bushcraft. a bit new labour I suppose :)

then again though if we use it every day surely it stops being bushcraft and just a normal part of life like cooking on a hob.

I guess survival will remain my state of mind - and bushcraft will be how I go about it.

survivors need to do it - crafters just want to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE