'Survival Tin' romance....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
He! He!

I love these debates! - to get back to the original theme of the thread...Hat's off to you 3bears for a very interesting experiment and thank you for posting your conclusions. Now I'll add my thoughts to the fray!...

As a - soon to be retired - "combat pilot" and amateur bushcrafter, I have my own views, based on experience, on the bushcraft vs survival debate...I have attended most of the aircrew survival courses (which nowadays come under the SERE umbrella) as well as general military survival courses in Jungle, Desert and Temperate environments (and a very basic Arctic course, in a Scottish winter - which I don't count - as it was informal and I am not credited with it).

Survival is what it says on the tin (no pun intended) - the postponement of death - and it's not a pleasant place to be. "Survival" totally depends on your environment. To me, bushcraft is about living - nay, thriving - away from the normal trappings of civilisation and gaining a sense of self satisfaction whilst doing so.

A lot of military training - even at the basic level - and even though a lot of soldiers don't realise it - involves divorcing the mind from the body. Take the standard army CFT - 8 miles, carrying up to 50lbs and a rifle, in under 2 hours. To a fit soldier it is a boring, mind numbing exercise - to the unfit soldier it can be torture. Success in the CFT is the same for both the fit and unfit soldier - i.e. - let your body be carried along by the rhythm of the squad and let your mind think of higher things - what you're going to do this weekend, money saving strategies, how you're going to pull that girl you saw in the club last week...anything other than how much your feet hurt etc. This translates directly to operations. As an "old soldier" it is very easy for me to say that things weren't as tough as it was in my day - and I would be wrong. I am in awe of the young men we have in the army who can patrol in theatres such as Helmand, requiring intense concentration for hours at a time, whilst carrying 100lbs + in 50〫C + temperatures. These are, so called standard infantry soldiers and not "special forces" and the point is that they are trained to put up with this level of discomfort for months at a time. One of the reasons I'm retiring is that, in my late 40's, I can no longer divorce the mind from the body - it hurts - and the brain knows it! A couple of years ago I was on a SERE level C course with an RAF navigator of similar age to me. At the end of it we both looked at each other and we didn't have to say "Never again!" - the look was enough!

The point of the last paragraph is that most military survival tins I have ever come across are designed for trained soldiers to keep the body going (their minds can go on longer than most of us). In all the courses I have been on I have only used one item from a survival tin and that was a space blanket in Arizona - when we were lying up, in open desert, after a hard march at 3:00 am without shelter - I was gibbering! - and the blanket gave me warmth - though I wasn't the least bit comfortable! With that experience in mind, I keep a "liberated" vacuum packed space blanket in my upper right hand jacket pocket - just in case! One other thing I always have with me is a button compass (on a K&M match case) - Once in the jungle I left the camp with a shovel to answer a call of nature in the early hours. When I'd finished, I realised that I had no idea where the camp was - I was completely disorientated. I could have blundered about in the dark looking for it and gotten further lost - but I remembered my training and sat until dawn (getting eaten alive in the process!) when the camp awoke and I could locate it by sound (20 yards away!) - It's always useful to know "which way is up" when you can't see!

In UK (or for me now, France) - fish hooks? Nah! I'll hike to the nearest Burger King. Signal mirror? - it's in my shaving kit. Whistle? I can blow louder with two cold fingers in my chops! The most important survival tool I have is my iPhone (with GPS included) and a power monkey charger. I appreciate that if you're going bear watching in Alaska or the Yukon then your priorities may differ (Sat phone?). I will always take my hat off to legendary educators like Lofty and Ray - but I think that even Lofty would agree that his survival tin is a scattergun design to cover as many bases as possible. If you need the reassurance of a survival tin then fill your boots - horses for courses - but from someone who has carried them in anger, as it were, I would suggest that most survival situations in Western Europe require basics like shelter, warmth (both of which include your clothes), water - and, above all, communication.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
A good few years ago back in the early 90's I went on a 3 week trip to the French Pyrenees with a mixed group of friends and friends of friends. It's an excellent area to go walking in with some good scale to the mountains... Circone produce some excellent guides to walking there.

Anyhow I had a SAS style tin as part of my kit 'just in case'. One day found us stopping by one of the numerous Lacs (Tarns) for some sun a rest and an overnight camp...

A lot of the lac's have small fish in them I suppose trout and I thought It would be good fun to break out the SAS Tin and use the fishing kit to catch some fish to Augment our diet of Saucisson, La Vache Qui Ri, Pain Blanc, vin rouge and 33 Export. There is a hunter gatherer in all of us...

I delved through the tins contents knocked up a line with a suitable small hook and used the scalpel to trim some of the foil from the condom packet as a basic lure. Then proceeded to spend a couple of hours not catching any fish.. However my endeavours did attact one of the girls in the group to wander over and take a look at what I was doing.. There followed a very brief conversation on the merits of the SAS tin and a classic 'whats the condom for" question.

Suffice it to say no fish were caught... Skinny Dipping was in order and the condom was useful... I'd like to say to round the story off with gusto and say that the girl is now my wife but she's not.

Now to me that's a better story on the merits of the survival tin than Squirrel hunting in an 80 acre wood... Or some contrived gibberish about breaking your ankle and knocking back pain killers...

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Now to me that's a better story on the merits of the survival tin than Squirrel hunting in an 80 acre wood... Or some contrived gibberish about breaking your ankle and knocking back pain killers...

"a good reputation is hard won, and easily lost"

Oh well, I guess it is true then.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> the mention of dpm, rat packs or smocks seems to get this 'i must belittle your opinion because maybe deep down i'm worried you are either more manly than me or could be perceived to be more manly than me by others, so therefore will dismiss everything you say as total rubbish and promote myself as superior vbia a non-military aspect' type of response. <Snip

So true...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As the key to getting by with little kit is a major theme on this site it amuses me somewhat that items such as the fishing kit, snare wire and condom in a survival tin are dissed as not needed in the UK.
Use your imagination folks!
The fishing line and snare wire are also good for heavyweight repairs of gear - a friend once wired his boot back together to make sure he could get off the hill in reasonable time (and avoid a cold wet night with posible hypothermia waiting for rescue), I have repaired a rucksack harness with the wire and fishing line.
Or shelter building
Or turning a survival blanket into a poncho so it gives protection as you walk back to safety etc etc
The condom can - as well as the obvious - be used (with the end snipped off with the scalpel blade) to keep a dressing/wound dry and under reasonable pressure in adverse weather conditions
I could go on but as the possible uses for the contents of your average Survival tin are endless - if you stop thinking along narrow lines - I dont have the time before I head off for work!
Think of a Survival tin as an insurance policy ... you try to tailor your insurance to your personal needs - so be it with the tin - you try to carry as little insurance at as little cost as makes sense so be it with the tin - you try to make sure the insurance covers every eventuallity (fully comp) - so be it with the tin - you only think it has been a good year if you do not have to use the insurance - so be it with the tin - but you know that if it all goes pearshaped you have the insurance to fall back on........
Of course the contents of you insurance policy do not have to be kept in a tin - but it does stop them getting crushed, soaked, insect damaged etc
It is a realy bitter pill to swallow if you go to make a claim and find that your policy has been invalidated!
Have fun out there :)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
As the key to getting by with little kit is a major theme on this site it amuses me somewhat that items such as the fishing kit, snare wire and condom in a survival tin are dissed as not needed in the UK.
Use your imagination folks!
The fishing line and snare wire are also good for heavyweight repairs of gear - a friend once wired his boot back together to make sure he could get off the hill in reasonable time (and avoid a cold wet night with posible hypothermia waiting for rescue), I have repaired a rucksack harness with the wire and fishing line.
Or shelter building
Or turning a survival blanket into a poncho so it gives protection as you walk back to safety etc etc
The condom can - as well as the obvious - be used (with the end snipped off with the scalpel blade) to keep a dressing/wound dry and under reasonable pressure in adverse weather conditions
I could go on but as the possible uses for the contents of your average Survival tin are endless - if you stop thinking along narrow lines - I dont have the time before I head off for work!
Think of a Survival tin as an insurance policy ... you try to tailor your insurance to your personal needs - so be it with the tin - you try to carry as little insurance at as little cost as makes sense so be it with the tin - you try to make sure the insurance covers every eventuallity (fully comp) - so be it with the tin - you only think it has been a good year if you do not have to use the insurance - so be it with the tin - but you know that if it all goes pearshaped you have the insurance to fall back on........
Of course the contents of you insurance policy do not have to be kept in a tin - but it does stop them getting crushed, soaked, insect damaged etc
It is a realy bitter pill to swallow if you go to make a claim and find that your policy has been invalidated!
Have fun out there :)

Good points well made, What you seem to be advocating is that as a Kit of bits of: wire, string assorted plasters etc etc... It's useful if the exhaust falls off of your van, you need to wire up a flapping boot sole, repair a rucksack etc ad infinitum... I agree but you might consider that a repair kit.

Repairing stuff might be considered a long way from Survival (as in the prevention of death / injury due to adverse outdoor circumstances or climatic conditions) but possibly adjunct to it...

John you have your MLTB summer IIRC would you consider this as an adquate 'survival kit' for Mountain use in the UK mountains?

http://www.bcbin.com/products/product_details.php?category=bushcraft&product=Survival Kits

I personally wouldn't. While it has a lot of 'useful stuff' good for jury rigged repairs on kit and such like.

For 'survival' in the UK mountain environment it has a lot of stuff that is really just dead weight All be it in a handy easily carried tin. I'm not sure exactly what you're going to do with the wire saw, and fishing kit if benighted on the Cullin ridge for example. Even the matches, cotton wool and fireball striker would in reality be of little value unless you'd brought some form of fuel with you to burn..

A bit like trying to claim on your house and contents policy after wrapping your 1965 MGB roadster around a lamp post...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good points well made, What you seem to be advocating is that as a Kit of bits of: wire, string assorted plasters etc etc... It's useful if the exhaust falls off of your van, you need to wire up a flapping boot sole, repair a rucksack etc ad infinitum... I agree but you might consider that a repair kit.

Repairing stuff might be considered a long way from Survival (as in the prevention of death / injury due to adverse outdoor circumstances or climatic conditions) but possibly adjunct to it...

John you have your MLTB summer IIRC would you consider this as an adquate 'survival kit' for Mountain use in the UK mountains?

http://www.bcbin.com/products/product_details.php?category=bushcraft&product=Survival Kits

I personally wouldn't. While it has a lot of 'useful stuff' good for jury rigged repairs on kit and such like.

For 'survival' in the UK mountain environment it has a lot of stuff that is really just dead weight All be it in a handy easily carried tin. I'm not sure exactly what you're going to do with the wire saw, and fishing kit if benighted on the Cullin ridge for example. Even the matches, cotton wool and fireball striker would in reality be of little value unless you'd brought some form of fuel with you to burn..

A bit like trying to claim on your house and contents policy after wrapping your 1965 MGB roadster around a lamp post...
Yup - Summer ML, BCU level 4 canoe coach, certs (from a fairly toytown org I will admit) in Survival and mountain survival instruction and a CSE (grade 1) in geography :D.
Plus over 30 years experience as an outdoor skills instrucror of one sort or another.
The key is to tailor your insurance to the situation if I am driving I have car insurance, if I am canoe coaching I have canoe coach liability insurance ...and my house is insured separately :)
A bog standard kit is full of useful things but if (as I have been) I was up in the mountains I would deffo back up the "wonder" kit with a "wander" kit with activity/location specific items.
IIRC RM had a scenario on the Cairngorm plateau where his rucksack failed ...he went down into the woods to build a Roycroft pack.... using the survival tin (wire, sewing kit, fishing line etc) and fixed the thing on the spot without deviating from the route I had left with "a responsible" person so in the event of being overdue the MR boys would have had a better chance of finding me! :) Kit failure can be one of the instigators of a real 'mare in the hills possibly leading to terminal situations.... a stitch in time saves nine afterall:)

The wire saw can make a not too weak belay for your pack/gear so you do not tip it off the ridge in the dark while you wait out the night.... actually I would advocate that you use your rucksack liner and pack as shelter (get inside them for protection and warmth - as well as your survival bag!) while your rope is used as ground insulation and perhaps a personal belay, and your gear is tied together (fishing line?) and secured separately but close to you. On a ridge as narrow as the Cullin can be you want nothing left liable to end up taking a quick trip down .....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Makes you wonder how all those mountaineers manage without a bit of fishing line and wire saw, that said they seem to do quite well wearing gortex in the rain and not freezing to death without a fire or a woodburner in the tent...they must be a hardier breed than a typical bushcrafter. ;)

Can you recommend a good wire saw that will cut more than a few fat twigs without snapping?

I think Johnboy summed up the reality concept of a UK based survival tin in that its far more suited to repairs than actual survival within the UK.

John, you know your stuff around hills and mountains, what did or would you carry as emergency kit in the hills where the likelihood of exposure (fast killer) and being in an open and non-wooded environment could bring your life to an end as opposed to padding around a bit of woodland which realistically is not a UK concern/life or death situation?

Thank you Johnboy, its now a repair tin for me and I will put one together :)

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Fin and John I heartily agree with your comments.

Fin you make some great comments for a pilot. I am a ground based and also done quite a bit of survival and SERE stuff. It is a bit different but has many similarities. The reason most of people have a kit/tin is so that if you have to ditch kit. it is easy to grab one thing rather than to route through all your pockets and kit to find stuff especially if people are shooting at you. I have also been in a fair while and definitely know much harder it gets with age and being broken in body, but it still be fun especially looking at the younger guys doing things the hard way experience and knowledge make some things easier:)

John I have also used items out of my tin or pocket for not their intended use and I most definitely agree with improvisation, I have to do various forms of it every day mainly to avoid being caught doing something that other wouldn't want me to (Sergeant Majors mainly) :)

To everyone I will say this is you have anything lint your pockets except small change and fluff then you are carrying some form of survival kit just not in a tin. You carry fags and a lighter to stave away boredom and to have fire. A small pocket knife can be used as any knife just for smaller and lighter tasks. even keys can be used to put groves in things to make sticks easier to break if too hard.

IMPROVISE and USE YOUR KNOWLEDGE....I thought that is what we all want?

SURVIVAL is different from BUSHCRAFT I think for everyone. One is to live and to get out of a situation. The other is enjoying nature in any of its forms.

looks at most instructors and figure heads of our world most say improvisation and knowledge are keys, without knowledge we are dead.

3Bears I liked the way you tried to check what was used and unused to survive. If you had hit some difficulties it could have been a lot different and maybe you would have used a lot of the items. But you did practice and test what you have got and hats off to you.

I have loads of kit and different types out outdoor and survival kits for different situations, I do not like to go out doors without some form of kit even if it is a lighter and small knife. BUT my knowledge is the key to it all.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> the mention of dpm, rat packs or smocks seems to get this 'i must belittle your opinion because maybe deep down i'm worried you are either more manly than me or could be perceived to be more manly than me by others, so therefore will dismiss everything you say as total rubbish and promote myself as superior vbia a non-military aspect' type of response. <Snip

So true... QED.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Makes you wonder how all those mountaineers manage without a bit of fishing line and wire saw, that said they seem to do quite well wearing gortex in the rain and not freezing to death without a fire or a woodburner in the tent...they must be a hardier breed than a typical bushcrafter. ;)

Can you recommend a good wire saw that will cut more than a few fat twigs without snapping?

I think Johnboy summed up the reality concept of a UK based survival tin in that its far more suited to repairs than actual survival within the UK.

John, you know your stuff around hills and mountains, what did or would you carry as emergency kit in the hills where the likelihood of exposure (fast killer) and being in an open and non-wooded environment could bring your life to an end as opposed to padding around a bit of woodland which realistically is not a UK concern/life or death situation?

Thank you Johnboy, its now a repair tin for me and I will put one together :)
Spare warm clothing (hat, gloves, body garment such as a good pullover, duvet jacket, fleece etc), survival bag, spare food (min 1000Kc), torch, whistle, phone, FAK, SAK/leatherman - and a small rugged container with lots of multi perpose bits and odds of things that could be useful - wire, string, needle, thread, multi strand wire saw (most work well if used as intended), candle, razor blade, mini compass etc etc, travel/activity insurance.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE