Survival Skills without camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blufor

Nov 27, 2019
Lancashire
Hello. So variation in situation - I want to enjoy nature with as little discomfort as possible. I tried camping, hated it. I just want the skills to survive in the wild should I ever unfortunately find myself in that situation. I can imagine people like me will be the first to die in an Armageddon situation heh

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Actually, the first to die will be the ones at ground zero ;) And you don't get to choose where the asteroid hits, so you can draw what comfort you can from that :lmao:

Welcome to the forum. You could be an interesting case. In order to acquire skills in survival techniques, are you prepared to accept a level of discomfort at least comparable to your camping experience? One can read about staying warm and dry, making fires in wet weather and finding/building shelters, but until you have done them in at least somewhat uncomfortable conditions you won't fully appreciate what you have read. Knowing that you can do things in less than ideal conditions, knowing that they may be harder than the books make them sound, because you have done them before in those conditions, will help a lot with your mental fortitude, which is probably the biggest factor in survival.

Having said that, if you stick to the UK you can survive just fine with some extra warm clothes, a blizzard bag, some cash and cautious approach to hiking alone.

Blufor

Nov 27, 2019
Lancashire
Actually, the first to die will be the ones at ground zero ;) And you don't get to choose where the asteroid hits, so you can draw what comfort you can from that :lmao:

Welcome to the forum. You could be an interesting case. In order to acquire skills in survival techniques, are you prepared to accept a level of discomfort at least comparable to your camping experience? One can read about staying warm and dry, making fires in wet weather and finding/building shelters, but until you have done them in at least somewhat uncomfortable conditions you won't fully appreciate what you have read. Knowing that you can do things in less than ideal conditions, knowing that they may be harder than the books make them sound, because you have done them before in those conditions, will help a lot with your mental fortitude, which is probably the biggest factor in survival.

Having said that, if you stick to the UK you can survive just fine with some extra warm clothes, a blizzard bag, some cash and cautious approach to hiking alone.

The reason I'm really here, is I love watching Ray Mears, Les Stroud as odd as that might sound, hehe. and I really want to have the skills to survive like they do. Would you say this website can help? I even got myself a flint/steel to test myself in a very limited setting (my local park LOL)
Yeh you're not wrong. the idea of surviving an asteroid haha, but what if its something more mild, say massive civil unrest/nuclear war/zombies lol

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, I'm here to learn!

Reactions: Erbswurst

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Hello. So variation in situation - I want to enjoy nature with as little discomfort as possible. I tried camping, hated it. I just want the skills to survive in the wild should I ever unfortunately find myself in that situation. I can imagine people like me will be the first to die in an Armageddon situation heh
Like anything else in life you have to learn how to camp. It doesn't just come. If you hated it, you weren't doing it right.

Learn to camp first, then start on the survival skills. I've been learning for &! years now and I still haven't learned it all.

Remember, if you get into a survival situation, you put your rescuers at risk as well as yourself.

Blufor

Nov 27, 2019
Lancashire
Like anything else in life you have to learn how to camp. It doesn't just come. If you hated it, you weren't doing it right.

Learn to camp first, then start on the survival skills. I've been learning for &! years now and I still haven't learned it all.

Remember, if you get into a survival situation, you put your rescuers at risk as well as yourself.

Don't worry fella, I'm not going to take stupid risks and put myself and others in danger, I know my limits. For me its just about at least having some BASIC survival skills should the world happen to go to **** heh. Sure its unlikely, and Im not a full blown prepper, but I imagine its a huge motivation to why some people learn bushcraft. - May I ask what your motive was?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Didn't have a motive. Its been part of my life since I was a child in the post WW2 period when camping and basic survival was part of everyday life.

Over many years I've seen people at risk who were totally unaware of the fact. I think you should stay indoors where it is safe, cosy and warm and watch nature on TV. Alternatively start again with summer camping for a few seasons then a winter camp and learn the skills from experienced practitioners. Maybe take a course such as offer by Paul Kirtley. You can find recommendations of such courses on this site, along with much other advice, but it is a huge subject. It may cost you to take a short cut but it may be worth it. And it will be fun- if only in retrospect!

Two points to ponder:-
"If you think tuition is expensive, try ignorance".
"When the boat is sinking it is too late to learn how to swim."

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden

I think the first to die outside Ground Zero will be the Preppers.

Suffocating to death, locked in their hermetic bunkers, eating all those beans!

Blufor

Nov 27, 2019
Lancashire
I think the first to die outside Ground Zero will be the Preppers.

Suffocating to death, locked in their hermetic bunkers, eating all those beans!

haha they might turn into ghouls or supermutants and dominate the wastelands!!! What a lovely fate. If you don't get the reference, sorry, I'm a bit of a Yoomer, gen Y - Fallout franchise is set in a universe which saw a devastation of a nuclear fallout and the chaotic aftermath of humanity. Entertaining if you're into that sort of thing.

=======

Thanks for the advice oldtimer, taken on board!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Dan, if you do travel up to Scotland you're welcome to get in touch, if you want, to meet up, just send me a PM.

Winter is definately here! Temps here at the moment are just above zero, Monday and Tuesday last week were circa -8°.
I've been up here for 17 years, originally from Dorset, in that time the coldest it's been, at about 800' above sea level, was -21°, lovely clear blue skies and still. I had a friend visiting around that time and he went to start his car one day at about 11a.m. and couldn't believe it was -16°. My lowest camp out temp. was at a friends birthday bash where a few folks had said they'd camp out, in the end I was the only fool left outside at -18°, not a bad nights kip but, 1) I had previous experience, one of the reasons for moving up here, and 2) I was properly equipped!

As others have said, It really isn't the place to start off with in the winter, I had some truly awful nights camping in the winter in Dorset when I was a teenager, inexperience and very, very basic camping equipment being the causes, I'll bet the kit you've got is better that what I had then though!

I'd recommend spring and autumn for your first trip up here, nowadays I very rarely camp out in the summer, I just leave it to others to feed the midge's and ticks!

There's some lovely places near you to get out for a night or two, take what you've got, don't go too far from your vehicle and find out what works for you, or doesn't, enjoy yourself and be safe.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Okay folks, I know I posted, but we are kind of getting a long way off topic. I think that Blufor might be better served with a new thread in the Bushcraft and Survival Skills sub forum.
I recall that there were a number of threads that talked about what skills people should practice, what was a good place to start. I think search is still broken, but I will have a look around using Google and see if I can find something.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Now let's see, I once saw something like an executive summary of survival basics:
- oxygen is good
- maintain 36.5C
- pure dihydrogenmonoxide
- something to munch

Reactions: Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you are not keen on the camping side of things... ie overnighter. .. perhaps some day courses would suit you . There are plenty around. Find a bushcraft school near you and book yourself in for a basic Bushcraft session. You will learn firelighting and basic shelter building among other things. You can then practice those skills on your own and perhaps then go on a more advanced course later on.
Remember learning how to light a fire on a nice sunny day with dry wood and kindling with a firesteel is only one aspect of the skill. You may find that courses at different times of year will give you a much wider skill base.
I'm sure once you get started it will become addictive and you will want to go further and further!
I've learned camp skills and been bushcrafting for years.
I'm still learning and I'm over sixty...(Just!)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Address the issues = food & water, shelter, clothing. Personally, I'd make fire as #1.

I always make it a strict policy to take only top quality food and drink.
Must make a little celebration out of it, no matter how small.
I used to travel alone. No more. Need to make more of a social occassion of the trips.

a) Most bush food, you can practice in your kitchen. Worth the efforts and disasters are easily cleaned away.
Then on day trips, the skills make you look good. Just don't burn it.
I batch cook and freeze it. The menu depends on what thaws first. . ... .
e.g. You need to be able to make really good, fast, hot bannock with lots of raisins. Big carbs for cold days.

b) Now time for an overnighter. CClaycomb has done yoeman's service to collect archival knowledge threads.
Cooking and heating fire types. Eat while you ponder other things. Again, top quality not junk.

c) Overnight in the rain. How about that? Ready for it? Extra tarps for wind and rain.

Blufor

Nov 27, 2019
Lancashire
If you are not keen on the camping side of things... ie overnighter. .. perhaps some day courses would suit you . There are plenty around. Find a bushcraft school near you and book yourself in for a basic Bushcraft session. You will learn firelighting and basic shelter building among other things. You can then practice those skills on your own and perhaps then go on a more advanced course later on.
Remember learning how to light a fire on a nice sunny day with dry wood and kindling with a firesteel is only one aspect of the skill. You may find that courses at different times of year will give you a much wider skill base.
I'm sure once you get started it will become addictive and you will want to go further and further!
I've learned camp skills and been bushcrafting for years.
I'm still learning and I'm over sixty...(Just!)

Thanks man, I'll do a course when I have time, but I have a fond memory of taking my first girlfriend camping and it was a disaster, we had this romantic notion that it'd be wonderful and cute thing to do, but it really didnt work out that way haha. Of course, I was a novice and didnt know what I was doing. Alas, I shall endevour to get improve and persist and perhaps my next camping trip will be enjoyable :)

Blufor

Nov 27, 2019
Lancashire
Address the issues = food & water, shelter, clothing. Personally, I'd make fire as #1.

I always make it a strict policy to take only top quality food and drink.
Must make a little celebration out of it, no matter how small.
I used to travel alone. No more. Need to make more of a social occassion of the trips.

a) Most bush food, you can practice in your kitchen. Worth the efforts and disasters are easily cleaned away.
Then on day trips, the skills make you look good. Just don't burn it.
I batch cook and freeze it. The menu depends on what thaws first. . ... .
e.g. You need to be able to make really good, fast, hot bannock with lots of raisins. Big carbs for cold days.

b) Now time for an overnighter. CClaycomb has done yoeman's service to collect archival knowledge threads.
Cooking and heating fire types. Eat while you ponder other things. Again, top quality not junk.

c) Overnight in the rain. How about that? Ready for it? Extra tarps for wind and rain.

It's funny really, we assumed it would be fine as long as we had a tent, but we ended up sleeping in the car for heat purposes, I really didnt know what I was doing. Anyway - as for eating wild stuff, Im no where near that level. I guess a few Ray Mears episodes doesn't cut it, lol

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We have many species of wild berry bushes ripe in season for serious foraging or just hand-to-mouth.
I'll pick, clean and freeze sometimes as much as 10kg/25lbs for a winter.
Other than that, I'm not interested in foraging. I bring delectable foods from my house.
That would be cheeses, various olives & fruits like papaya, mango, winter pears.
I like my bannock. Premeasured ingredients. Meaty stuff might have been batch cooked and frozen.
Even with melted snow, our bush water is quite clean in the mountains (no beaver and livestock turds).
With a hot petrol stove, lots of pasta is always on the supper list.

I refuse to hike with anyone so frantic that they can't stop, that they must walk as far as possible in a day.

Heat? I learned with 2 cheap sleeping bags, one inside the other.
Sleep in the car is OK, you figure out what to do, maybe it takes many trips.
I have a fabulous bag now, partly down, partly synthetic, wide in the middle (barrel bag).
The butane stoves fit in my boots for stability.
As long as I could get my arms out, I could cook just about any "tent food."

Alas but the lengthy trips are things of the past. I have no appetite to cope with the bears at night.
I moved to a little mountain village with wilderness less than 30 minutes in every direction.
So my day trips last until dark. The New Coleman 533 petrol stove is more than just a novelty.
Very hot and very reliable even in snow. Fresh hot drinks are real treats.
Bushcraft skills for fire and shelter are great to fool with on bad bird days.

It was -20C at sunrise and little better all day. Since I have been physically repaired,
I'm looking forward to next summer to get out for longer and longer walks.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The important bits of kit.
A decent temperature rated for the season bag and a good mat. Things have improved massively since I started with nothing more than newspaper under me!
Get the best you can afford. Then a tent. Forget the festival tent things.2 person tent for one, 3/ 4 person for two people for comfort.
A pan set and stove, doesn't have to be an expensive set or stove just get what you can afford or use what you have or can borrow.
Plate mug bowl knife fork and spoon.
Torch headtorch tent light or any combo.
You are set for a good night.
Practise putting up your shelter before you go in your garden or a park. Have fun!
If you want to, go with a mate who has camped before.
Don't let one bad experience put you off. We have all had a miserable night at one point in our camp careers. The good times make up for it and you are more likely to have more good times than bad.
You were unlucky to have a bad time on your first try, but that is a learning experience. All part of life's rich tapestry.
Now you have an idea of what not to do... go and do it again and do it better this time. Most of all have fun and if things go wrong there should be a nice bottle of something to take the edge off.... not get drunk mind! That's dangerous ! It's like falling off a horse... get straight back on and keep going! :) :)
One bit of advice...... never cook inside your tent. Keep the cooker outside to cook. A spill or flare up can present a serious problem!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE