Survival cake

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I had a look at the survival cake recipe in articles,
But does anyone know where to get cocos flour, I have never heard of it and neither has tesco....

Any one?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
8thsinner said:
I had a look at the survival cake recipe in articles,
But does anyone know where to get cocos flour, I have never heard of it and neither has tesco....

Any one?
Inside the coconut right at the pointy bit of the coconut itself is a tiny seed which can be dried, roasted and ground into flour. This is I think the “cocos flour” mentioned. Where you get it from I have no idea. :confused:

On the other hand Coconut flour is made from the dried and ground flesh of the inside of a coconut

This came up in a thread last year
here and no one worked out the location of the cocos flour, I think it was replaced or left out and gave satisfactory results

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it must be coconut; 100g of cocoa flour would be too much in that recipe, and while the rest would keep quite well the cocoa can go stale a bit quicker.
Did anyone get around to making it?
Cheers,
Toddy

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I guess I will try it with regular dessicated, I don't fancy having to go through 3-400 coconuts just to get that little seed.

I will let you know how it turns out and test it for a while over christmas too.

Do you think living on this and water for seven days is adequate......lol

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
8thsinner said:
I guess I will try it with regular dessicated, I don't fancy having to go through 3-400 coconuts just to get that little seed.

I will let you know how it turns out and test it for a while over christmas too.

Do you think living on this and water for seven days is adequate......lol

You can survive without food for weeks without permanent side effects, ;) a week will just mean a new couple of holes in your belt, and you'd be on the way to an Peter Andrex six pack :p

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
No worries, Le Chef is here ;) >> I wrote the article.

The cocos flour, as mentioned in the recipe is actually cocount - also mentioned in link below. Had to translate everything, as it was a dutch article :rolleyes:

Coocount is basicly the cocos you find in coconuts: the white flesh (Bounty bar :D ), which is dried and shredded.

Original thread here

I saw the (poor quality) pics disappeared from the original thread, if anyone wants to see them, let me know.

Hope this helps guys (and gals) ;)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
There's a halal butchers and grocers round the corner from my flat - they sell a lot of odd flours - I don't recall seeing coconut flour, but they did have yam flour and plantain flour (the banana kind, not the small broad-leaved plant kind) in their flour section when I was looking for plain flour the other day (seems kinda boring now :) ) - so that kind of shop might be the place to try - I expect Central Asian and possibly Caribbean shops to be the places that might sell such a thing...

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
apparentrly cocaine is made from cocos leaves... watch out for that one. the bolivians are working on leagalising the whole cocos growing malarky too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE