Surprising chicken facts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We are huge fans of chickens - they are great fun, hugely productive, cheap to own and easy to care for. We strongly commend them to anyone looking to produce their own food.

There are though some things that we really didn't know when we started chicken keeping years ago and took us by surprise!

Tonight Fiona overs a few cautionary surprises for those considering chicken keeping

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yep, I can agree with that. I often tell people hens can make a lot of noise especially if they are used to roaming and then shut up. I really miss the every day noise of hens about the place though. And their poo for the compost heap.

The other point I'd add is the dealing with a sick or elderly hen, either dispatching it yourself or getting hold of someone else. Quite a few people don't seem ready for that.

• Love
Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The other point I'd add is the dealing with a sick or elderly hen, either dispatching it yourself or getting hold of someone else. Quite a few people don't seem ready for that.
That's a good point. Time was it was a point of honour to give "the final kindness" to everything by your own hand

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Chicken mad fact… Hens sometimes “change” their sex and display rooster like behaviours crowing and fighting as if they have spurs sometimes even growing long colourful tail feathers and a comb!

Dad had a chicken that did this we were baffled for a long while. Turns out it’s something to do with their ovaries becoming damaged and sending out testosterone instead of oestrogen. :dunno:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chicken mad fact… Hens sometimes “change” their sex and display rooster like behaviours crowing and fighting as if they have spurs sometimes even growing long colourful tail feathers and a comb!

Dad had a chicken that did this we were baffled for a long while. Turns out it’s something to do with their ovaries becoming damaged and sending out testosterone instead of oestrogen. :dunno:
We've seen it and it manifests exactly as you say - even to hens treading other hens. It always seems to happen when there isn't a dominant cockerel and definitely where there is reproductive damage or abnormality

Last edited:
Reactions: FerlasDave

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Good video. I kept hens for a few years on my plot. I was amazed how calm they became once they got familiar with you many a time they would jump up onto my lap and fall asleep. Nothing better than a fresh egg and that little feeling of triumph when you collect them.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good video. I kept hens for a few years on my plot. I was amazed how calm they became once they got familiar with you many a time they would jump up onto my lap and fall asleep. Nothing better than a fresh egg and that little feeling of triumph when you collect them.
We currently have tiny chicks that run into our hands :happy:

Reactions: chjo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE