Surprise tree find ''Bladdernut'' & others

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
During a walk through Shropshire I had a nice surprise when I stumbled unexpectedly across a nice collection of unusual trees, the small arboretum held 120 types of Birch, there were information plaques displaying the Birch’s uses culinary/medicinal etc. Among the many trees was a peculiar one called ‘’Bladdernut’’ (obvious why when seen, small nuts retained in bladder-like air-filled capsule), a tree I have not seen before though apparently common in America/Asia, the nuts are edible and the air-filled capsules were used for rituals by Native American Indians, some trees I couldn’t ID and names were in latin only but there were some nice types of Sorbus Trees, Sorbus Dodung/Sorbus Cashmiriana/etc: plus many other unusual trees. The ‘’Bladdernut Tree’’ was new to me but other members may know it well. After research on returning home I found the place is on the web (no connection obviously) and is directly on the public footpath immediately south of the Mill House, sadly I have no photos as trees were stumbled on unexpectedly while walking but this link is the place http://www.ngs.org.uk/gardens/gardenfinder/garden.aspx?id=21796

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nice find. it is surprising how many arboretums and tree collections there are around. At work I have osage orange, golden rain tree, strawberry tree, and a very fine collection of Japanese maples, plus some stuff I can't identify (and which isn't labelled).

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What a lovely surprise to find while out on a bimble. I love being surrounded by trees and going into an arboretum is to me like a car fanatic walking into a sports car dealership. I like seeing new species especially if they are mature and grand looking.

Orric

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
What a lovely surprise to find while out on a bimble. I love being surrounded by trees and going into an arboretum is to me like a car fanatic walking into a sports car dealership. I like seeing new species especially if they are mature and grand looking.

Orric

yes me too, and when the find is unexpected it somehow feels more rewarding than when planned, the 'surprise' element adds to the walk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE