Supposing, supposing.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Supposing a friend walking along a beach found the well decayed carcass of a dolphin.

Supposing he took the bits that looked useful, like ribs.

Supposing he gave me one and I thought it looked just the thing to turn into a small firebow.

Would that be legal ?

cheers,
Toddy

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I'm trying to think how it would be illegal?

If it's a public beach, is not general wahed ashore stuff unowned?

I suppose there could be issues with some stuff found on beaches either on public health grounds or due to ownership, but as said remains pose no greater health risk by being removed and the original owner is by definition dead without a cliam on any estate.....I can't see where an objection could come from!

No doubt someone may know otherwise!

Nigel.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Supposing a friend walking along a beach found the well decayed carcass of a dolphin.

Supposing he took the bits that looked useful, like ribs.

Supposing he gave me one and I thought it looked just the thing to turn into a small firebow.

Would that be legal ?

cheers,
Toddy
Statute Prerogative Regis, 17 Edward II (AD 1324) states that although the Crown has sovereign dominion over the sea around the British Isles, it has no general property in the fish and marine mammals in it except for cetaceans and sturgeon. These are ‘Royal Fish’ and belong to the Crown. An exception to this is if they become stranded or their bodies are washed ashore within the limits of a Manor, such as the Duchy of Cornwall, in which case title passes to the Lord of the Manor. The chief requirement of the Royal Prerogative nowadays is that stranded ‘Royal Fish’ are reported to the Receiver of Wreck who will then pass the information to the Natural History Museum, London and other relevant bodies. The Receiver of Wreck can be contacted via the local coastguard.
In Scotland, "northern bottlenose whales", "long-finned pilot whales" and "cetaceans less than 7.5 metres (25 feet) long" are not classed as ‘Royal Fish’.

here

I think cetaceans might be the property of the crown? I would have thought the only real concern is that a lot of dolphins that are found are taken away for autopsy to discover cause of death and identify if there is a pattern to their strange habit of stranding themselves, or other causes like nets etc. If you butcher the animal for it's bits it might give a false impression of its last moments!

Is dolphin bone exceptionally good then? is there not an equivalent that would appear on the roadside or from the butcher?

Leo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The supposed dolphin was well and truly deid. In fact I suppose that it was rotted enough to be disarticulated (falling to bits)

Thing is though, I agree that HM is unlikely to mind me having a bit, but would HM's constabulary view things in the same light ?

Off to help take down a larch tree.

atb,
M

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I suppose that after taking all reasonable steps to endeavour whether the item is protected or property or otherwise illegal - its yours to do with, until it becomes different.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As I understand it CITES stops you importing or trading said items.

I don't think it can stop you picking them up off a beach and using them.

I was in discussion with the Natural History Museum a while ago about obtaining some whale bone for making a replica artifact, they had no problem with the idea, as it was for education use, but unfortunately had no spare bones available at that time.

EdS

As I understand it CITES stops you importing or trading said items.

I don't think it can stop you picking them up off a beach and using them.

I was in discussion with the Natural History Museum a while ago about obtaining some whale bone for making a replica artifact, they had no problem with the idea, as it was for education use, but unfortunately had no spare bones available at that time.

True its not illegal in itself but the problem is of providence. You've got to be able to prove it came from a legitimate source - especially as it inew bone. Should someone want to make trouble they would only need to dates it then ask "this dolphin bone is x years old, would you care to explain how you came by it?"

Although to be honest I think you'd be ok.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i think its the best use of it toddy, plus if anyone ever asks you've got an interesting story that starts "one day this dead dolphin washes up on the beach"
don't see how its illegal tbh, your not trading in dolphin bits after all and its technically refuse!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It certainly would be if you kept your mouth shut and told no one and got on with it.
Like all crimes, it's only illegal if you get caught.
My signature line sums up my attitude to 'laws'.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, but we try to set a good example for the children who also read the forum.

That's one of the reasons BcUK will not promote or condone any illegal activity.

cheers.
Toddy

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Careful Toddy dolphins can break your arm with their wings.

Sorry that's swans isn't it.

Also a man will give you £5 (1965 price) for dragonflies!

{ignore me I had a long week}

More sensibly if it works could you scrimshaw it?

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
given the above posts..............if your dog brings a bone home from a carcas on the beach, one can hardly be held responsible.......so if it's ok for a dog to take a bone....!!!!!

Smoggy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE