Supplier of OG Ventile?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Ok, thanks.

I'm trying to get a SAS style smock done up in OG ventile, which is not proving as easy as I hoped. I've offered to supply the fabric, I just wanted to know where to get it from. Right, I'll phone SASS and try to help them see the error of their ways...

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Spacemonkey said:
Ok, thanks.

I'm trying to get a SAS style smock done up in OG ventile, which is not proving as easy as I hoped. I've offered to supply the fabric, I just wanted to know where to get it from. Right, I'll phone SASS and try to help them see the error of their ways...
Go for it,i found them to very helpfull.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Spacemonkey said:

Darn it, that didn't even occur to me. Reckon we'll have to compare smocks when mines done... :cool:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Dunno. :rolleyes: . I only sent the cheque off on saturday..... :eek:

But!!! Only a guess here, as they currently own the patent, would that make them the only manufacturers ? If so, i have a couple of different weight of ventile in other smocks and they both seem good, but the lighter one (L24 i think) is the more comfortable...

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I've asked for a sample of SASS's OG material in case I can't get them to work the ventile. I've also asked Ventile for some prices on the various grades and whether they'd flog me the mil grade weight, which is normally minimum quantities only. I can only hope...

Which grade do you think is the best compromise for weight to abrasvie strength?

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I would add comfort as a criteria as well.

I have two ventile smocks of two grades.

The lighter one i think is the L24, and that is really comfy - flexible and water resistant. As a double layer in the right spots it would be superb.

The heavier one i think maybe the L19 or heavier. When this gets wet, it really stiffens up, and i would say is more uncomfortable.

All this assumes, of course, that i am right in which grade is on which smock.

Either way the standard grades seem to be very hard wearing, and my lighter smock is the preferred one. Used with a good synthetic layer it's very good.

The talbot site suggests that the best all round grade is the L24, so that is the one i went for. I will be doubling on the shoulder and elbow areas for good measure though.

Interestingly, or not, is that none of the manufacturers actually say which grade is used on which article....

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Spacemonkey said:
And according to their site I have thrown away lots of green ventile material. I had about 20 green surgical gowns which were water proof, and awfully like the ventile gowns they mention. Grrr....

:lmao:

Aint that just rotten luck....

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Well, 6 metres of L24 has just arrived. It's quite fine as well, so i think it'll make a nice copy of a sas smock.
It's finer than the cloth on my other smocks so i reckon they are a grade higher than first thought...

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I can see why they say that the L24 is the most popular choice for garments around the world. £11 a metre. BUT that is for first grades, so i reckon the £21 a metre for L28 is for firsts as well. Have you thought of asking if they have seconds. It's normally just a hiccup in the colour, so it's worth checking out ?

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
All but one lot of seconds I've had from ventile.co.uk have had no fault I could find, the other one had a bit of red thread marking the fault and it still took a big magnifing glass to spot the uneven weave!

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
dtalbot said:
All but one lot of seconds I've had from ventile.co.uk have had no fault I could find, the other one had a bit of red thread marking the fault and it still took a big magnifing glass to spot the uneven weave!

How much were they charging for the 2nds, and what grade, i f you don't mind my asking ?

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Don't remember exactly but it was somthing around £6 -£7 a metre for L24, its a bit hit and miss what colour seconds they have at any given time but they are good, friendly and fast people to deal with. Told them what I wanted, invoice came the nest day, they would have my cheque the day after and the ventile turned up the following day.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
QUick update:

I have spoke to SASS at the weekend and they told me the OG cloth they use is 100% cotton gaberdine that has had a water resistant treatment to MOD spec. It is the same material the MOD uses. Anyway, they sent me a sample which arrived today and i have tested it. Under a running tap, all the water just beaded and ran off. Not a drop seemed to be absorbed. I left it in a cup with half a cup of water held in the cloth. Not a drop soaked through in 6 hours. I then held some over a cup of boiling water, and water vapour was easily seen passing through. Once dried an hour later, the tap test was done again with the same result.

The conclusion? An excellent cloth for the purpose. Lightweight and good enough water resistance and breathability for my liking so I will comission an SAS style smock and S95 style trouser in this cloth for £150.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE