Sunday 18th Oct - Coniston - Canoeing - anyone interested?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Hi,

I've been reminded that I promised to organise a wee paddle some time ago for a few Apache's to get together! :rolleyes:

So, hopefully we'll have a few Apache's together on Coniston 18th October (providing it doesn't snow!). Of course all are welcome, even red plastic boats!

I thought about setting off 9-10am for a nice gentle paddle, I'll crank up the firebox around lunchtime on a beach somewhere (should be delivered by then) and make gallons of tea. If we can get a dozen or so canoes I may be persuaded to knock up a bacon sandwich or two for lunch!

A good collection of canoes and some nice weather would make a decent day out. I'm flexible on times so whatever suits others.

Add your name if you can make it (I'll post on SOTP as well).:D

Lostagain

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm thinking about getting one, but the list of extra kit you seem to need ramps the cost of getting started up somewhat.

Just a PFD and a paddle is all you need Mark, you'll have plenty of dry bags already I expect :rolleyes:

Unless you go for the white water side of it and then you need airbags and drysuits etc.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any recommends?
I've been to SOTP but there's way too much contradictory advice for my tiny brain!

Depends on what you fancy doing really, I got a little 12ft Old Town Pack solo boat which is spot on for camping trips. After being used to carrying everything I still find myself chucking everything in just because I can, loads of room.
My kind of paddling is just mooching about on mainy still waters like the Lakes and lochs, so the little Pack is perfect for that.
A lot of folk use a 14 or 15ft for soloing as well, Stus' Apache is one to look at or something like a Mad River Explorer. Go for Royalex if you want to keep the weight down, not the most robust of canoe materials but the weight is a big advantage for me.
Anything over 15ft and you're looking at tandem boats.

You'll probably get a better clue from the more experienced.

There's loads of info on SOTP, maybe have a look at the reviews.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Well like I say there's too much contradictory info on SOTP for me.
I had in mind an Apache boat, I was thinking the 16' to be honest but I'd be doing much the same as you.
I was thinking more in terms of what paddle and PFD to go for really.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
You won't go wrong with a 16' Apache for flatwater Mark. PFDs and paddles are more personal though, and It's best to try them on and handle them in the shop if you can. Carlisle Canoes is the nearest shop to you.

I'd lend you one of my canoes, but I've left the padlock key in my shed with my paddling gear. Julia won't go into my shed for any reason, she reckons that she wouldn't make it out again. I was back in the UK this weekend, and I met her and the kids up in Ayrshire, but she wouldn't bring my axe for me because it's in my shed, so I'm gonna have to buy one over here in Sweden, where for some reason GB axes are more expensive than in the UK.

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well like I say there's too much contradictory info on SOTP for me.
I had in mind an Apache boat, I was thinking the 16' to be honest but I'd be doing much the same as you.
I was thinking more in terms of what paddle and PFD to go for really.

PFDs are rated to the users weight so if you get that right you should be okay. Palm brand seem to be popular and also the Delta Ranger is a nice one for bushy folk.

Paddles are all styled differently depending on what kind of water you're going to be paddling and how you want the power to be delivered I believe. Basically I have a short squat blade for messing about in the shallows, launching and landing etc, then I have a nice narrow beaver tail which I use when I'm out in the open water.

Like I say though I'm still learning it all myself so take all this with a pinch of salt as I'm sure the more experienced will chip in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE