Sulphur

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I actually got to pass a pet shop today so I went in and asked for "Rock Sulphur" and they didn't look at me like I was mad but just passed me little plastic pot for £2.20 that had a 4 oz lump of it in.

When I unsealed it it turned out to be processed rather than a lump off a volcano like I really wanted but it's still perfectly usable for matches etc.

It's a dearer than getting it from a garden centre but if you can't get to one easily then the pet shop stuff is a handy source.

ATB

Tom

PS I got absolutely screwed for two packs of uncolored wooden spills at the tobacconists in the market hall, a quid fifty a pack! The sooner I skip dive some suitable pine the better!

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
TOMBEAR, WHAT ABOUT USING THE LITTLE WOODEN STIRRING STICKS FROM A,AHEM, MACd'S. FREEBIES...
ARE YOU DOING A TUTORIAL FOR THIS BATCH OF MATCHES?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi leaf man
not been in a McDs for a while (not through prudety just I'm more of a pie man or if I'm flush a nice bit of cod ;-[D) so not sure what theirs are like.

Yup gouing to do a few tutorials when I get more time, which will be about from 2 o'clock on Wednesday when I become redundent/a kept man with a years pay in my @rse pocket :-{D

I'm just getting some materials together at the moment. I'm hoping to copy some of the originals in the Bryant and May collection as theres some regional varriations. I'd like to get some proper volcanic sulphur to see if the impurities make any difference to how well they work, all the anal retentive stuff...

ATB

Tom

PS would anybody be interested in a tutorial on making wire brushes, the sort for cleaning/drying drinks tubes and such like, just I need to make a few more for myself, maybe with horse hair if I can scrounge some (chasing the neighbours hosses with a pair of scissors I draw the line at!)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If you can find something long enough for the bristles you can make them as big or as little as you need, they are a absolute doddle

All you need is wire, a drill (hands best but electric will do fine), a fixed point (I use a broom handle in a vice ) and what ever you want at the working end, I use green pan scrub, sponge and the plastic bristles from a pound shop scrubbing brush, super glue to tack the bristles in place and some thing to cut the wire and trim the bristles or sponge to fit. I find the sponge ones particularly useful for drying out the tubes on water bladders before they go into storage. I'll give all the details when I put up the pics, It really is so easy I feel embarased at coughing up for bought ones in the past.

More when its ready if some one doesn't beat me to it.

ATB

Tom

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Gardeners use sulphur for acidifying soil.
Its in a powder form.
The last one I saw was in a 40kg tub.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE