Suggestions.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I always thought it'd be fun and educational to put the celtic tribal place names of people on their location.

Rather than just being made up, by a few full members, they have historical significance, leading back to our ancestors.

Like this map shows:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient.../iron_01.shtml

Mine would be Brigantes [No 10] as Im from Yorkshire, which roughly translated means 'Hill Dweller'

So someone living in Norfolk would have been Iceni, [no 16] or 'Horse People'

And also it would be a good idea to make ages shown, as mandatory. I'd like to know if Im talking to a 15 year old or a 40 year old, or a 70 year old.

Just airing ideas that have been dwelling in my head for a while...
:lmao:

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
As to the age thing, what doe it really matter? For knife sales then yes I can see an argument but anything else I see no reason to be ageist for general conversation.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
As to the age thing, what doe it really matter? For knife sales then yes I can see an argument but anything else I see no reason to be ageist for general conversation.

Ageist?! Im not interviewing you for a job.

Becaue in the real world, we all speak completely differently to a 14 year old than you would a 40 year old. Id have thought that obvious.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Don't know about the tribe thing; can't see London anywhere for a start! Interesting link though, so for that thanks.

South West London would have belonged to one of the tribes Dave. Im not sure exactly where you are, but you may have been Atrebates, who at different times ruled, Silchester (Calleva Atrebatum) becoming the capital of a Roman civitas that administered the area of modern Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Surrey and north Hampshire.
Or their territory originally stretched from what is today West Sussex, Hampshire and Berkshire.
Translated it would mean 'settlers' or 'inhabitants'

Last edited:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ageist?! Im not interviewing you for a job.

Becaue in the real world, we all speak completely differently to a 14 year old than you would a 40 year old. Id have thought that obvious.

i try not to make a difference for age in conversation when learning. Too much assumption that those younger know less than me and actually one of beautiful things about the anonymity of the Internet is that I can listen to what others say without judging them by their age sometimes.

i don't see the need to talk to people differently. I think as long as everyone converses in a pleasant and reasonable manner that thats fine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The 'Celtic' bit is a total conundrum wrapped up in a confusion.
The Celts were the people who lived outside the civilised city states of Greece…..that's right over the other side of the Continent from us.

Celtic came to mean the pan European culture that was outside the Roman sphere of influence….that's culture not the peoples.

The inhabitants of the British Isles were British tribes…..and the evidences they left behind show that they had their own very differing cultures. Then again, the British Isles have always been a sought after settlement area. Probably why it's such an overcrowded (relatively speaking) place now. So incomers who brought other cultural elements kept things fluid.
Celtic is undefined, amorphous, not a good sound description, is what I am trying to say.
Call the tribes British and it'll have a lot more meaning.

Tribal boundaries were always disputed anyway….just look at every blooming hill and there are fortified areas. So any attempt to claim such and such an area for a specific tribe at an unspecified time is just not reliable.

Age ? Dave, you never ask a lady her age :D

M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
i try not to make a difference for age in conversation when learning. Too much assumption that those younger know less than me and actually one of beautiful things about the anonymity of the Internet is that I can listen to what others say without judging them by their age sometimes.

I don't see the need to talk to people differently. I think as long as everyone converses in a pleasant and reasonable manner that thats fine.

I can understand that pov Stew, but I still think it better to know the age of the person you are conversing with, or are organising to meet.

Persoanlly I dont want to turn up at a meet for a week, as a 42 year old, with a bunch of strangers, who I discover to be teenagers. Maybe thats just me?

Im not assuming that someone younger would know less than me. And I never suggested as much. You've assumed that.

When Im in a conversation with someone who is shouting in raised Caps at me, online, I want to know if he's 12 or 57.

Generally speaking, I'd never get into an argument with a 12 year old. :)

And face to face, you would deal with that different age situation very differently.

I dont see any convincing reason why it wouldnt be helpful to apply the same rules of society to the forum.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The 'Celtic' bit is a total conundrum wrapped up in a confusion.
The Celts were the people who lived outside the civilised city states of Greece…..that's right over the other side of the Continent from us.

Celtic came to mean the pan European culture that was outside the Roman sphere of influence….that's culture not the peoples.

The inhabitants of the British Isles were British tribes…..and the evidences they left behind show that they had their own very differing cultures. Then again, the British Isles have always been a sought after settlement area. Probably why it's such an overcrowded (relatively speaking) place now. So incomers who brought other cultural elements kept things fluid.
Celtic is undefined, amorphous, not a good sound description, is what I am trying to say.
Call the tribes British and it'll have a lot more meaning.

Tribal boundaries were always disputed anyway….just look at every blooming hill and there are fortified areas. So any attempt to claim such and such an area for a specific tribe at an unspecified time is just not reliable.

Age ? Dave, you never ask a lady her age :D

M

LOL, quite right, Sorry Mary, I assume your response would be 21 and a bit?

As far as celts go, I understand what you're saying. They would never have described themselves as celts.

There are some interesting videos about the definitions of celtic peoples though.

I think Barry Cunliffe is recognised as the leading authority at present?

[video=youtube;G8FM9nMFbfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8FM9nMFbfI[/video]

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I can understand that pov Stew, but I still think it better to know the age of the person you are conversing with, or are organising to meet.

Persoanlly I dont want to turn up at a meet for a week, as a 42 year old, with a bunch of strangers, who I discover to be teenagers. Maybe thats just me?

Im not assuming that someone younger would know less than me. And I never suggested as much. You've assumed that.

When Im in a conversation with someone who is shouting in raised Caps at me, online, I want to know if he's 12 or 57.

Generally speaking, I'd never get into an argument with a 12 year old. :)

And face to face, you would deal with that different age situation very differently.

I dont see any convincing reason why it wouldnt be helpful to apply the same rules of society to the forum.

Equally I see no convincing reason to make it compulsory to share your age. ;)

For meets - maybe ask first.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Equally I see no convincing reason to make it compulsory to share your age. ;)

For meets - maybe ask first.

Well, I dont belive that you would treat a 12 year old in a face to face conversation, as you would a 45 year old, or a pensioner.

Would you?

So why wouldnt it be helpful to apply those same rules of society to a conversation on a forum?

It wouldnt be helpful because............go on.......

[And if you're so against the idea why have you listed your own age as 33?]

Last edited:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Well, I dont belive that you would treat a 12 year old in a face to face conversation, as you would a 45 year old, or a pensioner.

Would you?

So why wouldnt it be helpful to apply those same rules of society to a conversation on a forum?

It wouldnt be helpful because............go on.......

[And if you're so against the idea why have you listed your own age as 33?]

Perhaps make a poll in the 'Other Chatter' section and see what more people want. ;)

I never said I was against showing my age, I asked what does it matter in terms of making it compulsary to display it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cunliffe doesn't claim that the British were all Celtic….he makes the differentiation between a European culture and indigenous tribes, and their connections to that Europe to which our islands were once attached.

Age ? we could do it with a sort of list….
Too young to vote.
Old enough to drink but still get carded.
Have children older than you were when you had them.
Watched the Moon landings.
Remember watching the first Dr Who.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
One thing comes to mind to me quite quickly on the age thing [and I suppose anything else]. This assumes people are telling the truth! maybe I'm saying I'm a 34 year old male - BUT am I really !!!?????

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On the age front for job interviews, well employers aren't supposed to take that into account. As I had to.point out to.a small company the other month who were advertising a job where they wanted a young person. You can say young minded but not specify an age. Will you also want to ask race and religion too?
Personally I've found that we have some members who were about 16 who had more knowledge and bearing than many twice their age, and sadly also the inverse where they're were older folk who should know better.
Also some.female members don't like giving away their age or sex as some folk treat them differently, sometimes negatively.
What's wrong with taking folk as you find them?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cunliffe doesn't claim that the British were all Celtic….he makes the differentiation between a European culture and indigenous tribes, and their connections to that Europe to which our islands were once attached.

Age ? we could do it with a sort of list….
Too young to vote.
Old enough to drink but still get carded.
Have children older than you were when you had them.
Watched the Moon landings.
Remember watching the first Dr Who.

Got hammered on VE day?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE