sugar fix

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Does anyone else on here use "crystallized fructose fruit sugar" instead of regular sugar?

It's my preferred sweetener, I use it in coffee, tea, water & lemon juice, cereal, cooking, for sweetening yoghurt.

I use loads of the stuff........

Sainsbury's is where I have been purchasing it for as long as I can recall without issue...

Lately I have been experiencing difficulties in obtaining crystallized fructose,

My stocks ran out about a week ago. Its been off the shelf in My local Sainsbusy's for around 3 weeks now. When I inquired why & the assistant checked the computer & the stock status is OH (On Hold) her guess was possible supplier issues ... she couldn't give more than that...

I have priced it "on line" & it's around 3 times the price more with P&P

So today I went on a quest to find some fructose fruit sugar... How hard can it be????

Harder than you might imagine:~
My local Health food store doesn't stock it & none of the little shops on my local High street do either,
so I had to go a little further afield to my nearest Tesco's, got the last 2 off the shelf (2x250g not my usual brand but will do) when I inquired if they had any more in stock was fobbed off with:~ all available stock would be on the shelf.

so is it just me??? or are there any other Fructose Junkies having problems getting their fix?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sucrose (from cane or beets) is the disaccharide sucrose. This is a glucose connected to a fructose.
In your metabolism, glucose must be converted into fructose to be of any value.

Most of the sugar in grapes, wine grapes in particular, is fructose.
If you can find a shop selling wine and beer making supplies, you might find grape sugar.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The digestion of Sucrose starts already in the mouth. The enzyme Amylase splits Sucrose into smaller chains, or in other word, simpler sugars, like Glukose and Fruktose.

The 'sweetness' of Fruktose and Glukose is a little bit different from Sucrose. But still nice.

You should try Xylitol. Not only sweet, it has a 'cooling' flavour too!
And it protects your teeth from the bacteria producing the acids that cause decay!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Amylose and amylopectin are the two glucose polymers in starch. Amylase can cleave the chains at any point. Chew a soda cracker for long enough and it will taste sweet.
A different enzyme can handles the alpha 1>6 links in the amylopectin branch points.
Anyway, split sucrose (different enzyme again in the central metabolic pathway).
Glucose is altered to become fructose, and with the original fructose, the two move on to their metabolic doom.

In my case, they could be demolished for their energy value but they weren't.
Instead, they became a part of the 2 extra inches that I have grown this winter from eating too many bagels.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What ? Bagels made you 2" taller ??? :)

Wider? Or the effect described by some of the email spam I get in my junkmail? :D

Or both. :lmao:

Sugar is a basic chemical, the body converts it easily into energy. Unfortunately, it's a lazy way to get energy. When I had Lymphoma a few years ago, I looked into sugars, starches, and grains. My research left me with no doubt that I cut them from my diet completely.

I'm ok, and enjoy my dads whole strawberry jam, granola, fruit etc. But I wouldn't go out of my way to find fructose. It's no different from any other sugar, and was on the avoid list above sucrose.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Taller? I wish. I have shrunk nearly 2" in the last 50 years. Belt link issue since an artisan bakery opened.
One merit of starting with sucrose is that it costs you energy to set it up to be broken down.
The equivalent of lifting and placing firewood on the chopping block.

Look at my avatar. That wood was a chore to bust up small enough for the hydraulic splitter.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
You should try Xylitol. Not only sweet, it has a 'cooling' flavour too!
And it protects your teeth from the bacteria producing the acids that cause decay!

seriously xylitol? Blergh! I have a problem with the after taste of "most sweeteners" I can't detect any after taste with Fructose & I use it successfully as part of a weight loss program .... I too am a supporter of the "sugar is the new saturated fat' fad" except I go one step further & say they are both in it together.... But if you want to lose weight fast... Chocolate, fat, bread, any processed food containing sugar & sugar itself & Starch are definitely the enemy, I eat mostly low GI foods I eat loads of Eggs, tomatoes, onions, Blackberries, muesli with coconut milk & fructose, whole wheat wraps instead of bread BLA BLA BLA....

My other go to sweetener is Agave nectar, I like to buy it in bulk on its own from Sainsbury's no other shopping & laugh when they ask do you have nectar card, Naw hen just a sweet tooth... doesn't always go down too well... but makes me chuckle...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Xylitol is being used here as a sweetener in some brands of peanut butter (one of North America's food groups.)
Be aware that xylitol (even though a natural wood sugar) in treats will kill a dog (kidney failure).
I don't know if the pathology is even remotely similar to kidney damage from grapes.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
seriously xylitol? Blergh! I have a problem with the after taste of "most sweeteners" I can't detect any after taste with Fructose & I use it successfully as part of a weight loss program .... I too am a supporter of the "sugar is the new saturated fat' fad" except I go one step further & say they are both in it together.... But if you want to lose weight fast... Chocolate, fat, bread, any processed food containing sugar & sugar itself & Starch are definitely the enemy, I eat mostly low GI foods I eat loads of Eggs, tomatoes, onions, Blackberries, muesli with coconut milk & fructose, whole wheat wraps instead of bread BLA BLA BLA....

My other go to sweetener is Agave nectar, I like to buy it in bulk on its own from Sainsbury's no other shopping & laugh when they ask do you have nectar card, Naw hen just a sweet tooth... doesn't always go down too well... but makes me chuckle...

I gotta admit the GI for onions surprised me?

List-Of-High-Glycemic-Index-Fruits-And-Vegetables-770x402.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I get my fructose from pretty much any sweetened processed food on the market. High fructose corn syrup has replaced table sugar in most foods here (way, way, way cheaper)

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I gotta admit the GI for onions surprised me?

List-Of-High-Glycemic-Index-Fruits-And-Vegetables-770x402.jpg

Yea that is a surprise to me too Santa, I need to take what you said with a pinch of salt, & I'm going to stick up for my wee onions here.....

I suppose it just depends where you look most other sites will rate onions as Low GI

onions are also considered as a "speed food"

( ref: slimming world ) shut up! not me, the Wife.

http://www.slimmingworldsurvival.com/list-of-s-and-p-foods/ (speed & protein )

"GI of Onions:~

The majority of vegetables have a low-GI ranking and can be eaten freely without causing fluctuations in blood sugar levels. One of the few vegetables that is not low-GI is the potato, which particularly when baked or mashed, ranks very high on the glycemic index. Onions have a rank of 10, and therefore are considered to be a low-GI food."

source http://www.livestrong.com/article/285366-onions-the-glycemic-index/

33829438494_9624e32d9c.jpg

I always thought There was more sugars in an onion than in an apple. Allegedly F*ck knows where I got that from? BUSTED I'm glad I looked it up before blurting it out.

which is better an Apple or an onion? there is only one way to find out Food fight
check out this site ...

http://www.sparkpeople.com/food_vs_food.asp?food=24_40_apple_versus_onion

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/apples-and-onions/

So lets here it for the onions?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Xylitol and s a natural sweetener, has no nasty aftertaste.
Agave syrup? A natural Fruktose Glycose mix.

Let us not forget Honey, in my opinion the tastiest sweetener! With different flavours, all lovely!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I get my fructose from pretty much any sweetened processed food on the market. High fructose corn syrup has replaced table sugar in most foods here (way, way, way cheaper)

Yes & way way more UnHealthySo High-fructose corn syrup is made from corn starch, which consists entirely of glucose. After the starch is extracted.
Sleekit manufacturers are covertly using HFCS as an ingredient in sugary drinks, & passing them off as "sugar free"
Corn syrup is in actual fact very very fattening more so than regular sugar, your body produces insulin in order to convert this into energy & a by product of this is the production Fat cells.... Manufacturers are aloud to call it fructose because there is 55% converted fructose in the end product.... its the other 45% that is pure glucose.... which causes a rapid spike in blood glucose levels and has a Glycemic Index value of 100.
In comparison regular sugar comes in at a GI rating of 58, so regular sugar is only 3 points above the low GI range (of 55 or below)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_syrup

What I am talking about is crystalline Fructose which is 100% pure fructose & is derived from fruit Not Corn & has a GI rating of only 19....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/177865-crystalline-fructose-vs-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Corn syrup is different from HF Corn syrup. Chemically and it digests differently. No manufacturer calls a product 'sugar free' if it contains HFCS?

I think you guys should spend a few minutes on how Krebs Cycle or Citric Acid Cycle works.

Glucose is THE fuel for our cells. We need it. If you eat sucrose, fat, proteins ( carbo hydrates of different lengths) they are all converted to Glukose by our enzymes.

Lose weight ? Burn more energy than you ingest. Can be done two ways. Move the same and eat less. Or, move more and eat the same.

It is all about energy intake and expediture., not some GI !

Glucose has a value of 100 because that is the base line.

GI is just a pointer, what is more important is the Glycemic load.

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Xylitol and s a natural sweetener, has no nasty aftertaste.
Agave syrup? A natural Fruktose Glycose mix.

Let us not forget Honey, in my opinion the tastiest sweetener! With different flavours, all lovely!

A natural Fruktose Glycose mix.?

That statement sounds a bit miss leading in order to produce agave syrup from the Agave americana and tequilana plants, the leaves are cut off the plant after it has been growing for seven to fourteen years. The juice is then extracted from the core of the agave, called the piña. The juice is filtered, then heated to break the complex components (the polysaccharides) into simple sugars. The main polysaccharide is called inulin or fructosan and is mostly fructose. This filtered juice is then concentrated to a syrupy liquid, slightly thinner than honey. Its color varies from light- to dark-amber, depending on the degree of processing.

Agave Nectar has a 76% fructose level. Any glucose which is present is naturally occurring There is no added Glucose (Glycose) in this product...

It can taste a little honey like so for me it's a last resort low GI alternative to regular sugar, If I have 100% pure crystallized fructose I will use that. Unless I am making energy bars from Muesli then I use Agave as a glue to hold it all together.

Again honey, not just the fact that its made from regurgitated bee spit, but also I don't like the taste either...

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A natural Fruktose Glycose mix.?

That statement sounds a bit miss leading in order to produce agave syrup from the Agave americana and tequilana plants, the leaves are cut off the plant after it has been growing for seven to fourteen years. The juice is then extracted from the core of the agave, called the piña. The juice is filtered, then heated to break the complex components (the polysaccharides) into simple sugars. The main polysaccharide is called inulin or fructosan and is mostly fructose. This filtered juice is then concentrated to a syrupy liquid, slightly thinner than honey. Its color varies from light- to dark-amber, depending on the degree of processing.

Agave Nectar has a 76% fructose level. Any glucose which is present is naturally occurring There is no added Glucose (Glycose) in this product...

It can taste a little honey like so for me it's a last resort low GI alternative to regular sugar, If I have 100% pure crystallized fructose I will use that. Unless I am making energy bars from Muesli then I use Agave as a glue to hold it all together.

Again honey, not just the fact that its made from regurgitated bee spit, but also I don't like the taste either...

Heating is quite common in sugar production.
Agave syrup has about 50% Fruktose.
Our prefernce for taste is important. I love honey from Citrus groves, and Heather. But my favourite is Forest honey. Dark, almost black, a heavy taste. The commercial standard does nothing for me.

I like the taste of the dark Agave syrup.

I follow a very strict diet. It goes like this: I eat only what I like. I do like all fruit, most veg. Never touch Broccoli.
Very little red meat.
I read those food fads. Goid entertainment. Best one so far was the one Gwyneth Paltrow invented.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE