Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Been to Perris this morning looking at Targets for the Garden.... got talking and he had a Buck Trail Antelope #55 there... had to try it and did a deal......got it in for someone and he did not turn up ... my gain ... dont really like the idea of a Recurve.. but hey it was cheap....

It feels nice to hold very light, and quite quick..

DSCN0129.jpg

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well, I brought a load of other stuff as well, some 6 brass piles, 36 off 4" Flecthings, bear fur arrow rest, 12 nocks, it all came to £180...with some barttering, guess what tho lost my stringer, so will have to buy another one.. its Rather a pain to string with out one....being 60" and 55# Oh and the Black Hole target..

Shoots nice tho.. may keep it..lol

He did have some nice Bikkerstaff bows there as well, but out my price range at the mo :)

Hi All,

Russ here from Colchester I posted in the newbie section and was pointed here by a few folk. Good to see there is a group fairly local. Have some very basic skills in bushcraft mainly from another life in the military many moons ago. Love wild camping and spending time outdoors. I have always wanted to have a go at primitive fire starting and having read a number of articles on BCUK and other website about the hand drill and the materials. I have found some Elder and what I think is wild clematis (Not 100%) on the clematis.

First attempt at the elder Drill was very straight but I think the drill is too narrow and short so cut a larger piece about as thick as my incex finger and the length of my elbow to finger tips.

First attempts as to be expected left nothing but sore hands. One thing I have heard mentioned is season the wood. Can someone explain what seasoning wood is, I assume it's just leaving the wood to dry out if that is the case for how long. Do I have any hope of success with fresh wood?

Any advice is greatly welcome.

Best Regards
Russ

I am not an expert but from what I've read, green (fresh) wood is just too wet and soft, you're really only going to get results with dry or dead standing wood.

Can anyone give me a lift to the meet next week?

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
Any one have advice on the length of whoopie slings I was thinking of starting off with 4m in length which would give a maximum under 2 meters (when loops and buries are taken into account) this would be used with dd tree straps on a bbwb xlc.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Any one have advice on the length of whoopie slings I was thinking of starting off with 4m in length which would give a maximum under 2 meters (when loops and buries are taken into account) this would be used with dd tree straps on a bbwb xlc.
hi, seanl.
What length is your ridge line ? I made my whoopie slings so when they are connect to my hammock they are equal to my ridge line length. This works very well for me as I connect my ridge line to my tree hugger's. I will gladly show you my setup this weekend and my reasons for doing so +&-

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
hi, seanl.
What length is your ridge line ? I made my whoopie slings so when they are connect to my hammock they are equal to my ridge line length. This works very well for me as I connect my ridge line to my tree hugger's. I will gladly show you my setup this weekend and my reasons for doing so +&-

From the web site the ridge line of hammock is 111 inches or 2.8194 metres, I think I will wait till the weekend and have a look at your setup.

I have also got some tubing for making tensioners for the ridgeline and guy ropes, what length of tubing do you normally use for purpose.

Thanks,

Sean

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE