Suffolk Bushcraft Group Daniel Boone Challenge 23rd May to 26th May 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I know... but.... I got to work out what I want first...

On my list for Boonie is

Wooden Bowl
Wooden Plate
old style eating irons might make something like these..I know... but.... I got to work out what I want first...

kf-160.jpg

Make some ember tongs

maybe make some sugar cones...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
We do have a lathe in the woods to make the round things, failing that you could come and use mine, its electric though. And I am sure that the eating irons could be made, you have got a forge afterall

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats what I thought...just got to get off my bum and do it.....lol

but you know how much i like to fiddle..lol

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ooooo you'll have to post a pick when you get it Sam,

I am so loving this Boonie School way of camping.. :)

Thats a shame bud.. we will have to catch up soon.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
YEah i'll pop over your way soon bud , just now got to get this new job sorted :), and settled in there..

I ve been playing with some tallow and a spoon that I have carved, and some cotton wick... and came up with this

DSC_0241.jpg

will have to carve some more, probabley deeper for the Challenge :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Just had the idea that we could dig some clay from the fields and make some clay oil lamps and fire them in the fire or bread oven.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Just remembered that I built a Bowie knife a couple of years ago and never used it. This will be the perfect opportunity.
I'll need to make a sheath.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just had the idea that we could dig some clay from the fields and make some clay oil lamps and fire them in the fire or bread oven.

Yeah could be some fun, will have to get teh clay oven sorted this summer... Ie door ect in place :)

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Nice one Russell, that would make a lovely Start to a Nesmukk set :)

You mean another nessmuk set.

7700B580-2A91-4741-AD1D-DB7371BC41C1_zpscm1wbjxi.jpg

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would of said either as well.. :)

I been watching the vids from JS Townsend and Son for food's may have to try a couple of them.

heres just one of them

[video=youtube;fKNGPMefJ_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNGPMefJ_A[/video]

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
There cant really be a correct knife, as long as it was around during that time in question someone would have been using it.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
There cant really be a correct knife, as long as it was around during that time in question someone would have been using it.

Thats the thing with this challenge.. a lot of the kit we use nowdays, is the same as then with a few alterations, maybe a differnt materal.. the idea os to try to tempt people away from the modern kit and try something a bit differnt,

My way of thinking is there is a lot to be learnt from the old methods and materials, the challenge even brings up new or should I say old ways of thinking how we do things when camping.....I like doing things as close as I can without useing moden things, but thre is a cost so some time things have to be a bit moden...lol

I am not saying that it ok to turn up with Ti and a jet boil... thats not the idea... the idea lose that side of it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE