Suffolk Bushcraft Daniel Boone Challenge - 25th to 27th September 2015

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Great weekend guys, thanks to Dave and Bryan for coming along. Unfortunately I had hurt my back last week, and decided that I couldn't do the two woods part of the challenge, so Dave and I did two nights at Price. Bryan joined us on Saturday am. Dave setup his Polish Laavu half, and Czech bedroll, I used my Full Polish Laavu, using the modified setup I showed here, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131473 and Bryan used a DD 3x3 and Czech bedroll.
On Saturday we went exploring and foraging,Sloes, Corn, Apples and Plumbs, we also found some mushrooms, but were not 100% certain they were eddible so didn't use them. We also found a red stone, a flint perhaps, that threw a spark better than the normal black flint. We then returned to camp for a late lunch. After lunch we collected firewood for the evening, mostly dead standing Hazel, but also some dry fallen Oak. My evening meal was a stew made from sweet potato, foraged sweetcorn, onion and carrot,and boiled ham, it hit the spot nicely. I also tried the egg on a skewer successfully, also drop scones and fried ham and eggs for breakfasts. It was a quiet weekend, but I enjoyed it very much. Thanks guys.

If anyone can I'D the mushroom and Bracket fungus I would appreciate it. The Bracket was found on the tree above the shooters perch.

Daniel Boone Oct 15 002.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 004.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 006.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 009.jpg

Daniel Boone Oct 15 012.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 013.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 014.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 015.jpg

Daniel Boone Oct 15 017.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 018.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 019.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 020.jpg

Daniel Boone Oct 15 024.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 025.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 026.jpg Daniel Boone Oct 15 028.jpg

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I would love to do this challenge but it's a bit far for me. Might just do it anyway out of curiosity!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I thought you might try the egg on a skewer while you were away... how did it go? Did it work first time?

Looks like a great weekend... like the challenge element of it.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I thought you might try the egg on a skewer while you were away... how did it go? Did it work first time?

No problem with the skewer at all, all you need to do is make a tiny hole in each end of the egg with your knife, before pushing the skewer through. After about a minute, try to turn the egg so that it cooks more evenly. Had a great time cheers.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland

I'm going to make a prediction dewi. EXPLOSIVE egss!

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Thanks to Colin & Bryan for their company for this great weekend. I reckon the Boone Challenge concept is a good one, and not being laden down with loads of gubbins is a great way to encourage sharing ideas and having a go at stuff. I certainly came away knowing more than when I arrived. My sloes are in the freezer right now, and I'm looking forward to making that sloe gin (which will be another first for me).

(I reckon you ought to post your report in the days out bit though Colin, 'cos it may get missed tucked away in the Suffolk bit)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks to Colin & Bryan for their company for this great weekend. I reckon the Boone Challenge concept is a good one, and not being laden down with loads of gubbins is a great way to encourage sharing ideas and having a go at stuff. I certainly came away knowing more than when I arrived. My sloes are in the freezer right now, and I'm looking forward to making that sloe gin (which will be another first for me).

(I reckon you ought to post your report in the days out bit though Colin, 'cos it may get missed tucked away in the Suffolk bit)

Good idea Dave, I'll do that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE