Suckering?!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
I've been brushing up on my floral knowledge with a load of field guides, but i keep coming across phrases like "reproduction by suckering" "sucker shoots" etc. etc.

It may seem like a fairly stupid question, but, what exactly are sucker shoots, and in what way do they sucker? :D

Many thanks,
Ed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basically a new, viable plant that grows from the roots of an old one.

Like Rowans send up suckers around the main stem, or roses might send up a briar from the rootstock that the Hybrid Tea was grafted onto.

cheers,
Toddy

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
tomatoe plants (amongs others):rolleyes: :D:D produce shoots at the junction of the main stem and the leaf -`branch` which are refered to as suckers !!

which can be cut off and produce a new plant - ie `cuttings`

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Its New York street slang fella!
C da C.

Yeah coined by Herbert Huncke to describe playing a cat for a fool ;)

Basically a new, viable plant that grows from the roots of an old one.

Like Rowans send up suckers around the main stem, or roses might send up a briar from the rootstock that the Hybrid Tea was grafted onto.

cheers,
Toddy

tomatoe plants (amongs others):rolleyes: :D:D produce shoots at the junction of the main stem and the leaf -`branch` which are refered to as suckers !!

which can be cut off and produce a new plant - ie `cuttings`

Ah-hah!! Now it all makes sense. I had some strange visions of tentacle-like stems lol!!!

Cheers for the help!

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Don't gimme no backtalk, sucka...
mr-t.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE