Successful Days Surveying Saves Heathland

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
:lmao: :mosquitos:....:)

very true ! I'd then be saying , " OK ....I didn't play nice, sorry, but it was YOU who flooded the place ! Can't we have the non-biting ones back ?....knock up a few new ones maybe ... ? The Wifes in a humph and some stow-a-way bloke called JD is having a hissy fit and god only knows what Bushcraft Betty and the rest of 'em 'll do when they turn up ? :goodnight: !"

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
UPDATE

I went back up today as the weather seemed more promising with it being forecast as mainly cloudy with intermittent sunshine. Besides, I wanted test out a new daysack I bought especially for herping (more about that later).

DSC00079.jpg

As it happened, it was cloudy with intermittent rain. I did spot a fair few female adders and a really nice one that had an almost yellow colouration. They were all very aware so moved off before I photographed them. Did get a snap of the large yellow female, but it wasn't a good one as I was some distance away. Can you spot her?

DSC00075.jpg

In the pic, when blown up, you can see she has already detected me as her head is up, and she moved off slowly.

DSC00075-Copy.jpg

I wanted to see her close up, so I lay down in the heather and waited for her to return. I was so busy listening for her moving and watching an amazing little jumping spider in front of me, that 1/2 an hour went by before I heard the tell tale and almost silent noise of a snake moving through dry vegetation. She was really close and to my left. She eventually came so close that I didn't want to move, the grass and heather tops slightly moving as she came within a foot of my head, before moving off into denser heather. Unfortunately, she never came fully out into the open to bask, so the distance shot and some great first MK1 eyeball action was all I got.

I did see a huge number of lizards though.

DSC00077.jpg

I will get back there in late August when the young are being born. I mostly saw females out, which, in this weather, suggests they were taking every slim opportunity to bask and develop their brood. Hopefully it will be a good strong year for successful breeding in this location. Judging by the large females I've seen. It certainly looks promising.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE