Success with the bowdrill!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

speckledjim

Mar 30, 2007
Edinburgh
I have been very fortunate to live in a place which is so near the countryside, I live in a place in southwest Scotland which is surrounded by ample mixed Woodland of varying age and nature. I have had access to this area since I was six years old, but it is only now that I realise the true value of the area and the nature which can be enjoyed, observed, and resources which can be utilised.
Over the past couple of weeks I have been concerned with fire making, and the pursuit of proficiency in fire making by different means. I think the benchmark to which any bushcrafter measures himself against is the ability to make fire by friction. In this case I think I am no different to anyone else, I remember seeing heroes like Ray Mears do this on his numerous television programmes and was fascinated and amazed at the same time. I knew that I had to gain the skills somehow. The first attempts I made were nothing short of a disaster with barely a wisp of smoke been produced during anyone sitting. My technique and the woods which I used were completely wrong for the situation, it was only until my father insinuated that I would never have any success with this method and that I simply wasn't up to the task that I relished the challenge and really started making an effort. I found as much information as I could on bushcraft UK, and a book entitled bushcraft essentials by Ray Mears and set it my business to make this a reality!
I have once read on the tag line of a user of bushcraft UK, that if something doesn't work, pause, change something, and try again. I found this motto of great use to myself, as I pledged to set about the task with patience. And it was with this in mind that I set about my challenge.

It seemed for my first successful attempt, willow upon willow was the choice to be made with regards to wood. I suppose that this makes sense because both the hearth board and the spindle wear away at equal rates. I found a nice piece of dead standing material in the copse next to my house where the river is lined with willows. And an ingenious solution to the bowdrill slipping on the spindle, came in the form of the Egyptian bowdrill method courtesy of bushcraft UK. A regular clump of sun dried grass was used for the tinder bundle.

When finally, completely exhausted with hands sore from trying I finally managed to create my first ember, I tentatively placed it into the tinder bundle I had created tightly packed and dry as a bone, smoke billowed out of the bundle in my hand, tears welled up in my eyes as the smoke entered them, but finally flames were produced and with my father as a witness the record was set straight. It was a truly wonderful day and I managed the feat a total of six times before my arms gave way and no more fire could be produced. It was on the seventh time that I had prepared materials for a proper fire, and for the life of me I could not get the ember this time. In the end a spot of teamwork with my father as an assistant produced an awesome ember and the fire was produced once more. We sat by the fire we made in the dwindling evening sunlight, glowing with the gentle heat of the fire, the exertion with which it took to make it, and from the sense of satisfaction of our newfound achievement.

The fire was all the more appreciated as a result, every lick of flame, every crackle of wood, all seemed unique, and all the better for the way it was made.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Hi speckledjim - I'm impressed that you stuck at it and earned your fire :)
I found it a bit exhausting so admitted defeat far too soon... but one day...

And a nice story, beautifully told - we'll enjoy having you here! What are
you going to try next?

Welcome to the forum,
Jo

speckledjim

Mar 30, 2007
Edinburgh
I think that I will try the flint and steel approach, I think it sounds quite fun, but more importantly it seems like a lot less effort and my poor old arms are taking the strain! Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I'm sure I will enjoy being here.
Thank you.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
It is a rather fantastic resource this place! Your story was very interesting and of
course as I've had a go of using the bowdrill method (I was hopeless and my knee
caps hated the process - agony) it was nice to see a successful outcome.

There are lots of bushcraft videos on YouTube, some of them are snippets from Ray's
programmes - there's a lovely clip on there from Wild Food showing him getting
fire using flint, fungi, grasses and birchbark. It's fantastic although the comments
that people feel the need to add are a bit bizarre to say the least:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaHNWaBmNJU

Plenty of other ones on there from different people, including Dryad Bushcraft and
even a few from people on this site. Also some spoof ones of varying (humour) quality.

Jo

bartjen 2

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2006
belgium
he what a way to goooooo; i remimber the first time i made a fire with the bowdrill it feels like you're on the top off the world. Woliw is very good but trie sycamore and ash they work also very well and the drill will last longer it needs al little more effort do;
greets

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great story Speckledjim,
You'll always remember your first successfull fire from the bowdrill, its a fantastic feeling isn't it.
I think that by saying you'll never succeed, your dad was trying to preserve his little boy for as long as possible. He now realises that he has lost his boy and gained an equal - just think how I felt when my 13 and 10 year old daughters did it :(

ATB

Ogri the trog

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Well dome Jim!

I have produced an ember myself but wasted it being too hasty and not allowing it to develop enough and even though I didn't see flame I still got such a buzz.

Nice one.

Jun 24, 2007
Sussex
Well done..When others show you how to do it, it always looks easy. They never say how long it took them to master it. I know after having tried for four days on a course how difficult it is but when you get that ember you know....you know something the others don't. Achievement.
Keep at it.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Well done fella, I have a piece of Hazel drying out at the mo for my drill and hearth board from the last Delamere meet. I can't wait to try it out.

Simon.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Well done Jim. Even better that you used some dead standing wood for your set. Now the knowledge is there no need to carry the kit with you.

Cheers

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE