Sub Zero Sunny Saunter On The South Downs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
In the words of Wallace "twas a grand day out Grommit", ok for Hugo, Rockmonkey & I it was anyway.

The day started off in the grips of a good haw frost and sub zero temps, to the point we couldn't walk up the lane as we normally do as it was akin to a skating rink, so up the fields it was - shame:rolleyes:

DSCN1615.jpg

DSCN1616.jpg

So cold in fact, the horses and ponies in the paddock had highlights added by Jack Frost to their coats

DSCN1618.jpg

Where we were headed, beyond the furthest most hill in the picture

DSCN1623.jpg

DSCN1628.jpg

One of the many skating rinks in the fields, still at least there was no cloying mud this week as the ground was frozen iron hard.

DSCN1624.jpg

Up the track and despite it looking soggy, it was like walking on rock, well, in most places;)

DSCN1634.jpg

View out towards the hills

DSCN1638.jpg

Early Periwinkle in the farm yard, albeit it's south facing and has an old wooden barn behind it

DSCN1639.jpg

further up the lanes and tracks we arrive at our first destination for the day, the Piney Woods as we call them, in reality they are a mix of a Redwood plantation and naturally seeded Ash & Sycamore,

DSCN1642.jpg

we tried doing some carving while we were in these woods, not a chance, the wood was frozen solid, so we stashed the wood and headed on our way

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1657.jpg

nearing the top of this path

DSCN1660.jpg

and out into glorious sunshine and a view along the South Downs

DSCN1665.jpg

A shrafter in his element

DSCN1666.jpg

Gorgeous landscape

DSCN1675.jpg

where had come from

DSCN1677.jpg

Old farm that is no longer a farm, there's a Spitfire down there

DSCN1681.jpg

couple of general landscape shots

DSCN1682.jpg

DSCN1683.jpg

Up past the old pits

DSCN1685.jpg

Looking south towards the English Channel

DSCN1690.jpg

Lunch stop, and time to break out the Monkey Boy stove and my curried spoon

DSCN1696.jpg

Fed and watered it was onwards and downwards

DSCN1697.jpg

not long before we were back in the woods

DSCN1698.jpg

and then after a short walk, we were at the bottom the hill and in the still icy coombe

DSCN1703.jpg

and then on our way down the hill and back to the cars.

DSCN1706.jpg

as always it was a great day out, we covered just under eight miles in total, roll on next week, by all accounts, we could be bimbling in the snow

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lovely day. I wanted to do that sort of thing today, but I'm laid up with asthma attacks so a walk in cold weather is not for me, unfortunately.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps, it was a great day to be out there, chilly at times, but superb nonetheless

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Days out, like today, makes you feel connected to what we once lived with on a daily basis!
Some days, it's just good to be alive!:approve:
Great pic's as always Kep, roll on next weeks snowy bimble!, finger crossed for snow!

RM

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks for posting up the pictures Mark, a grand day it was I enjoyed it immensely with you two guys.
Also thanks for lending me your spare cup. :lmao:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
@Hugo, i still have no idea why i packed a spare cup, i mean, i had three with me yesterday - why?, was a great day out though.

@Sam - was great being out there in the cold, im hoping they get the weather forecast right for tomorrow and Saturday and, we are 'supposed' to be gettting a right dump of snow down here any thing from four inches upwards, yup, 4" of snow down here is a significant amount and the world will grind to a halt, id like to be going to the Sussex meet this weekend, but a rather important family birthday (no not mine) prevents me from going, would be more than my life is worth to miss it

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Nice pictures. The old pits look similar to something just north west of ditchling beacon? what/where are they? Im assuming reasonably recent from the edge definition, so probably chalk quarrying?

I've got an overnighter booked further to the east on friday, looking forward to it in a kind of "Im gonna get a cold nose" way :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE