Stupid question but...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I belive it because of the type of cut they are used for, to cleave, as its used to cut bone rather than slicing meat

Re stovies edit above, Ahh! in that case i have no idea,I should have read the thread location,

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I thought cleave meant the complete opposite...or is that a different spelling??? Suppose i'd better look it up...

'Cleave' has numerous meanings.

verb (used with object)
1. to split or divide by or as if by a cutting blow, esp. along a natural line of division, as the grain of wood.
2. to make by or as if by cutting: to cleave a path through the wilderness.
3. to penetrate or pass through (air, water, etc.): The bow of the boat cleaved the water cleanly.
4. to cut off; sever: to cleave a branch from a tree.
–verb (used without object)
5. to part or split, esp. along a natural line of division.
6. to penetrate or advance by or as if by cutting (usually fol. by through ).

–verb (used without object), cleaved or ( Archaic ) clave; cleaved; cleav·ing.
1. to adhere closely; stick; cling (usually fol. by to ).
2. to remain faithful (usually fol. by to ): to cleave to one's principles in spite of persecution.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It means both to stick to, and to 'part from' or 'cut', the cling or stick meaning is older than the split or cleft meaning.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Okay...dont you just love the English language...one word two totally opposite meanings...Thanks JD you're spot on (left me OED at home)...and Red, Sticky Willy...I ask you...Sticky Burr was always my tag for it.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
fuse is a very similar word that leads to just the same sort of confusion, if something's fused it's either burnt through or stuck together, i love our language

cheers

stuart

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
It's a wandering, winding willie of a plant, and it sticks to everything. So it's Sticky Willie :D

Cleave to or cleave from. So it's cleavers, not cleaved.

cheers,
M

So does the singular remain Cleavers?
I refuse to be drawn into the world of sticky willies...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We call it sticky willie or if asked to be 'proper', Goosegrasss. I hadn't heard of it as cleavers until a few years ago.
Scot's Presbyterian schooling......."cleave unto his wife; and they shall be one flesh", so I knew of the word in that meaning.
Right enough, I also knew it 'cos at the battle of Bannockburn Robert the Bruce held his ground against the heavily armoured English knight, neatly side stepped him at the last moment, rose up in his stirrups and he cleaved de Bohun from crown to nape straight through his helm with his axe. Totally different meaning.

cheers,
M

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I love the fact that you guys know the older meaning for cleave. I'm glad of that, it proves there is hope that our language will evolve but still keep some of the old about it.

The English language is one of the most complex tongues around. It is down to the huge vocabulary and the multiple, sometimes conflicting, meanings. I love to use precise English that has conficting meanings in a context that leads the listener one way but it also means the opposite. Precise English with imprecise meaning or context. Play on words.

I must admit I prefer the older meaning to cleve than the newer one to divide.

BTW I never knew the name for those viney plants with the sticky balls or burrs. To me they were always meant to stick on someones back without them realising as a kid. I still hven't grown up with that, still do it now. Was a good year for it too!

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
It must be an old anglosaxon word: the dutch verb `kleven` (or the german equivalent `kleben`) means the same. The plant is called ´kleefkruid´ here in Holland, `the herb that sticks`

Cheers,

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE