Stupid alert: Spyderco Bug lost to an airport security waste bin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I fly about once a monnth. I found I had left my tanto folder on the keyring. So threw my keys in a my rucksack with phone, charger, loose change, basically anything metal in the one pocket. Sailed through customs going and coming back. So pretty much its the luck of the draw and possibly wearing a suit helped.

Shame you lost it though.

S

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I recently had to 'donate' a Gerber Applegate folder (4.5" blade) to airport security.......

OK, it was on the way back from Afghanistan, at Bastion airport. but I had flown with it from the UK, and passed through security at Kandahar with it (in a locked Pelican case) with no problems....

So, I thought about it, queried the fact that it had been in a locked case, not on my person, then with no other choice 'donated' it. Then proceeded to check in my rifle, body armour and helmet......

Actually, it was no great loss, it wasn't that practical a knife, even in Afghanistan ! Sharpened pencils a treat though !

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Flying out of Turkey to Amsterdam a few years back I was stopped by a large group of paramilitary looking policemen at the entrance to the airport and forced to unload all of my packed hold luggage, my Woodlore knife was wrapped up in my sleeping bag, they confiscated this and informed me that I would be able to collect it at my destination. Having seen the movie 'Midnight Express' I wasn't about to argue but was pleasantly surprised to find it waiting for me in the office of baggage reclaim section at Schiphol.

:)
Flew back from Turkey this year with a nice sword in my hold luggage. They had the bag opened and admired it and waved it about before handing it back for repacking. Nice chaps.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a good mate in the bomb squad who was given several items that had been confiscated at check in in an airport. I assume it was something to do with him liaising with airport security as he's totally straight down the line.
Anyway...

I'd just like to say that the Leatherman Fuse someone else paid for and I now own is ace, thanks very much, whoever paid for it:)

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
i had a leatherman micro on me keys and was told to go to over sized parcels when we got to the us we were looking for the smallest box on the cara it was ok in the luggage but not were i could use it on the plane like pocket or hand luggage

Kwaidan

Jan 4, 2012
S.E. London
Flying out from Gatwick a few tears ago security found a cheap pen knife I'd left in my rucksack. They did offer to take my details and post it back to me (for a charge) but I didn't bother.
So I thought that was the norm. Maybe no more?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I had a bungee taken at John Lenon airport - probably used it to catapult Ryan Air planes up the runway....

I'm not bitter, honest........

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Beware wallet tools, they go as well as it is too easy to forget they are there, oh and taking business flights somewhere as a normal traveller makes one the perfect target for hassle at the departure gate. Trying to explain that if someone is going to cause a problem in flight, the likelihood is they would dress to blend in, just means in the UK you get even more hassle for being aware of security, only the UK though as it seems other countries employ something called common sense. But this seems to be something Britain is good at, the jobs worth scenario where sense flies happily out the window. One thing I have discovered with British gate security, is complain, say anything other than making noises of co operation and they will single you out for as much hassle as they can give, as it seems they like to display their power and will do so on the innocent with impunity. But try explaining whilst they give you hassle they miss the covert just means you get more.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
i go through airport security 6 or 7 times a day at least (working there)! it is very much luck of the draw and who is on duty... my first week i left y sak in the rucksack i took to work, it was taken off me by a guy i spoke to a few times and was told to collect it on the way home...

today however my brand new titanium spork was taken aswell:( nothing with a pointed metal edge it seems is the new rule. back to eating pasta with a spoon!

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Technically and legal is no match against a carriers rules...

If they say no blades on your person whilst you fly with them then you've one of 2 choices... bin it or kiss goodbye to your flight

Surely (if you have time) you can turn round post it to the house and join the queue again?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE