Stuff you never throw away or hoard.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I qualify most things as "come in handy gear" nuts, bolts, bits of scrap, wood. I can't pass a skip and have never walked past a discarded elastic band. People may mock but 9 times out of 10 if someone needs something I will reply "hang on I've got something like that" admittedly the wood pile is getting silly now though can barely turn around in the shed! Good straight sticks are fair game too I see one and come back with a junior hacksaw, because a dozen walking sticks I don't use isn't quite enough.
It's a family trait, when asking my dad for some decent thinners and degreaser last week, he produced an unopened tin of thinners, marked with A&P shipbuilders, a local shipyard that closed before I was born. And a can of something called inhibisol, with the reply "it's good stuff they banned sale of it years ago" the Apple never falls far from the tree does it?

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Keys.
Still got keys from clients houses 20yrs ago, keys to ex in laws etc etc. Sometimes they come in useful as try out keys on other clients jobs before taking an angle grinder or drill to the errant lock :D
The various keys for window locks and security fittings also come in to play more often than one might expect.

Tools.
I am a chippie so it makes sense, right? :)

Rob.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Keys.
Still got keys from clients houses 20yrs ago, keys to ex in laws etc etc. Sometimes they come in useful as try out keys on other clients jobs before taking an angle grinder or drill to the errant lock :D
The various keys for window locks and security fittings also come in to play more often than one might expect.

Tools.
I am a chippie so it makes sense, right? :)

Rob.

When I was a very young child my mother had a container with masses of keys in it, I asked her why we had so many keys and she said that they used to belong to her father.
So I asked her "Why did my granfather had so many keys" and she replied (in that flippant offhand way that parents sometimes do when kids keep asking Why) that...
"He was a cat burgler" (he wasn't, he was a plasterer general handyman if I remember right).

Several months later she was talking with a friend who asked her what her father did, before she managed to say a thing I said loudly that "He was a cat burgler"
When she asked wherever I got that notion from I replied that she "told me it when we were sorting out keys"

Just goes to show that little kids remember all sorts of daft flippant replies.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
This thread makes me feel very at home here. :-D

Two years ago at Christmas I was given these two identical tins from separate, un-related members of my family (one from my wifes side, one from mine). I think they're trying to tell me something.

James.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE