Stuff you never throw away or hoard.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Anyone else here keep little bits of electrical wire, the odd nut and bolt, a screw here and a screw there.?

I once threw out some beds, not before i had stripped every screw from said beds. I also keep little bits of leather, old guitar strings, old shoe laces. I seem to have a drawer full of Batteries that never seem to work when i try them?...Keys? got loads, dont know what the open.

A cupboard stuffed with bubble wrap and used padded envelopes. 2" pieces of paracord. The rubbish spanners and allen keys you get with flat pack furniture. in fact, Just rummaging through my drawer i found a pair of shoe laces that i'll be sticking on my training shoes after this post.

So who else hoards crappola...Just in case.?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I hate throwing anything away, been 'forced' to dig out the man cave ( garage ) I have old tools from Dad that I will never use but can't throw out, thinking of offering the old spanners etc to the old water treatment works not far from here ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It cost my Son1 over a £1,000 to Pickfords to flit him from one flat to another not half a mile away just two months ago :sigh: He is, to my absolutely certain knowledge, the sixth generation of gatherers of, "That's a good thing. It might come in useful".

M….who has a loft, a garage and four sheds and a greenhouse :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
It cost my Son1 over a £1,000 to Pickfords to flit him from one flat to another not half a mile away just two months ago :sigh: He is, to my absolutely certain knowledge, the sixth generation of gatherers of, "That's a good thing. It might come in useful".

M….who has a loft, a garage and four sheds and a greenhouse :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:
A Grand..? For flat..? I remember when i got my first flat the flitting was done with a wheel barrow and a childs buggy. :lmao:

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
The comfort in knowing you are not the only wacko is like a cosy blanket, this is why i forum with you freaky folks, i hoard all of the above but i have a particular thing about airtight containers of all shapes and sizes i just can't chuck em out, i really thought by the time i reached 40 i'd understand what i was keeping them all for

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... M….who has a loft, a garage and four sheds and a greenhouse :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

My mother died in In 2002, and in 2004 we were still clearing the house.

One day, with some trepidation, my brother-in-law opened the access hatch to the loft.

"Thank God she didn't have a loft ladder!" he said.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Accumulating jars of nuts, bolts & washers from castaway gear makes sense.
Bought Fiskars grass clippers 3 weeks ago. Rotating blade unit to cut horizontal/vertical/etc.
20 minutes and the one single bolt connection for function undid itself and fell out in long grass.
Found it. Added a lock washer from a jar of such bits and it will not happen again.
Pennies and minutes and all sorts of repairs can be made so quickly.

Some aboriginal native ladies do beadwork. Colors kept in stupid little flat paper packets.
Gave them 100 small chemistry lab test tubes with home made racks from scrap lumber. Sponge rubber stoppers.
Assets disposal auction for the test tubes, might be all of $1.50.

badoosh

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2015
manchester
I never throw anything out without an autopsy. Even save the buttons on the rags we use at work. LOL
And my sheds full of "you never knows" and when it's needed I usually know were it is even when I've not been near it for years...
I love it.....��

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
My latest water bottle is a 500mm washing up liquid bottle that was destined for the bin , great wee thing, good tight screw top and pop lid, my other water bottle is a 500mm plastic lemonade job, I have a 58 pat bottle some where that I don't use because of the foul taste, but I still cant throw it out.
Probably my worst habit more than hoarding is picking up junk for jobs I never seem to get round to, mostly brass ammo cases, 303, 7.62, 243, 5.56 or 22LR cases, actually anything and every thing goes in to my pocket for whistles or other odd jobs, and a rare find these days 1940's 20mm cannon shells off the beach for the top of fishing priest's or walking sticks. I made a lovely Lodge pole pine canoe pole once especially trimmed down to 30mm to take a brass Aden shell for the pole foot, I cant even remember why I need a 50cal, but that doesn't matter, I just know I need one for something some day.

Last edited:

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Being a long term recycler nothing goes to waste here, anything with any potential use is kept, much to SWMBO's annoyance. Perhaps it's due to being brought up by my father, WWII generation, with a 'make do and mend' mind set. I've got to admit it gives me great pleasure in being slelf sufficient and not having to go into town, or further, to buy something.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I never throw anything out without an autopsy. Even save the buttons on the rags we use at work. LOL
And my sheds full of "you never knows" and when it's needed I usually know were it is even when I've not been near it for years...
I love it.....��

I recently made a shirt and the buttons came from the tin containing "Buttons, various" ... an Xmas bickie tin, full of rescue buttons...
The zip for the last pair of trousers I made was second use too....from another big tin...

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. And save everything! Everything!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My mother died in In 2002, and in 2004 we were still clearing the house.

One day, with some trepidation, my brother-in-law opened the access hatch to the loft.

"Thank God she didn't have a loft ladder!" he said.

It took my cousin nearly three years to clear out my Aunt's house….I've already apologised to my sons if I croak it before I've redd out my stash of good things :)
Andrew said he was going to contact every charity available to come and take stuff away and then hire a skip. Jamie just said that he hoped there was still a Polis Amnesty for the knife collection :rolleyes:

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE