Stuff to make in bushcraft camp!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
tent pegs
digging stick
whistle
wood knife-fork-spoon
chopsticks - I like to make em pointy to stab my food..
walking stick
cup/kuksa
Ask Eric, he made the list

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A couple I'd add, would include.

Withies for binding bundles of things,
Cordage from thin fishing line to thick, strong cord,
Traps & Snares knowledge of triggers and springs help in all sorts of craft projects,
Pot hangers, obvious!

Probably more but that will do for now.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Seats, Beds, pot hangers, candle holders, tongs (for coals, food etc), flint tools, Priest, fishing hooks, containers, a mess :D, bowls, carved toys, throwing stick, needles (if you've got some bone), toothpick....:lurk:

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
dreamcatchers. nettle chordage (with red bark. dreamcatchers are supposed to have red cordage) willow or similar for the hoop and a slice of alder branch with the middle poked out woven into the web to represent the spider. feathers hung below. simple project which uses lots of bushcraft skills and materials to create something nice totally from natural materials.

suggestion; how about a pure picture thread of all the different things you have made while in camp using camp materials?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Wood spirits are fun and easy to carve with a small carving blade.

woodspirit3b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
hoodoo,
they look good, how did you do them ? It's something i would like to have a go at but have no idea how !!
:D
Andy

Andy, they are a lot easier to carve than they look. All you need is a good sharp carving knife. Preferably one with a straight edge and sheepfoot or wharncliffe style blade. I would not use a pocket knife for this unless you've put a lot of work into reprofiling the edge.
The thinner the blade, the easier it is to carve with. The wood is 1" by 1".

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Thanks Hoodoo, now to convince the wife i need a new knife, and believe me it's not gonna be easy. I get complaints when i look through tent catalogs, probably cause my running tent total is now 6.

Do you think that my SAK would be suitable ?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Thanks Hoodoo, now to convince the wife i need a new knife, and believe me it's not gonna be easy. I get complaints when i look through tent catalogs, probably cause my running tent total is now 6.

Do you think that my SAK would be suitable ?

I know that Martin uses the small knife blade on a SAK that he reground to a wharncliffe profile.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I know that Martin uses the small knife blade on a SAK that he reground to a wharncliffe profile.

Sorry, I missed the question. Regrinding the small blade on a SAK is a great idea. And carving little critters out of twigs is another neat thing to do around the campfire.

littlebookofwhittling1b.jpg

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
here are a few more things you could make:

- needle (from bone or antler)
- snares
- drinking mug
- birch tar
- fishing hooks

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I also carve heads for fun - mine are more Easter Island meets Nigera with Celtic overtones than Gandalf crossed with gnomes...
I call them Juju sticks....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE