Stuff to make in bushcraft camp!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Andy, they are a lot easier to carve than they look. All you need is a good sharp carving knife. Preferably one with a straight edge and sheepfoot or wharncliffe style blade. I would not use a pocket knife for this unless you've put a lot of work into reprofiling the edge.
The thinner the blade, the easier it is to carve with. The wood is 1" by 1".

Any chance of a step-by-step on them? I have tried to do similar things and always have trouble figuring out the faces

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Call me a cynic, but please tell me the difference between priests, batons, biddles, and throwing-sticks.
Aren't they all just...........

'sticks' ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Any chance of a step-by-step on them? I have tried to do similar things and always have trouble figuring out the faces

At the moment I don't have time but I'll have more free time around the middle of July and get something up. If you can find a copy of Woodcarving Illustrated summer edition, it shows how to carve these with just a pocket knife (although it's a lot harder to do with a pocket knife than a good carving knife) . The article was written by Tom Hindes.

WCICurrentIssue.jpg

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Hoodoo, I'll have a look around see if I can get that issue. Do you use a straight blade or is a curved edge better (shape not grind)? I don't really know what the knife types mentioned earlier in the thread are lol

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks Hoodoo, I'll have a look around see if I can get that issue. Do you use a straight blade or is a curved edge better (shape not grind)? I don't really know what the knife types mentioned earlier in the thread are lol

Here's the shape I prefer for detail carving. The thinner the blade, the better. I can carve walnut all day long with any of these blades with nothing but stropping occasionally. Don't put a secondary bevel on these or you will have a long day of carving and a poor one to boot. If the steel is a bit thick, though, you can convex the edge to smooth it. The edges should be stropped ultra smooth.

The Carving Jack is ultra expensive but handy for the field because it's a folder and you can carry it in a belt sheath. Some of the other blades are handy as well. I love the chisel blade for doing balls in cages.

carving_blades1b.jpg

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
Thanks for the info and the link to woodcarving illustrated.
I've already done the more usual stuff spoons (god so many soons), a couple of Kuksa,spatulas,chopping boards,canoe paddle,etc and have always wanted to try my hand at something more ornate/intricate but could never decide what,now I have some inspiration.
Cheers Mike B...

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
All this activity would make me thirsty by the evening. So, I would add a good fire, pleasant company and a good malt whisky!:)

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
You are right about the Carvin' Jack been expensive but I am not sure you relise how expensive they are this sind of the pond. The left handed ones are about £100/$200 over here. That's why I got mine from a US online store and it came in at £61 including P&P. I did get away without any customs though. Probably due to the fact that its packaging was damaged in transit.

Its a cracking knive though and I like the fact that it does come in left handed.

Here's the shape I prefer for detail carving. The thinner the blade, the better. I can carve walnut all day long with any of these blades with nothing but stropping occasionally. Don't put a secondary bevel on these or you will have a long day of carving and a poor one to boot. If the steel is a bit thick, though, you can convex the edge to smooth it. The edges should be stropped ultra smooth.

The Carving Jack is ultra expensive but handy for the field because it's a folder and you can carry it in a belt sheath. Some of the other blades are handy as well. I love the chisel blade for doing balls in cages.

carving_blades1b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE