Stuck window SEAT altea xl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Our SEAT Altea xl has got a window stuck open about inch or two. It sounded gritty before it failed. I'm guessing some multi strand cables have snapped and been stripped by a pulley in the door. The motor sounds like it works just the mechanism isn't moving the glass. I can't force it shut neither.

Can anyone suggest a quick fix until we can get it into a garage? I've seen on YouTube just how complicated the job of removing the door panel is. I'm certain I'm not keen on doing it myself. I just need to shut the window until someone else can fix it. It's for security and to stop it raining in when it next rains in a day or so I reckon.

I suppose if I can't do that I'll have to try to get.my local independent garage to sort it temporarily.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Similar to me happened on a Mondeo with elec windows while on hols in france. cable had snapped-same noises as you got. Took two of us to lay hands flat on window inside and out to work it back and forth and up and down til it freed from the snapped cable then up it went. Fastened it temp with some wooden slivers til we got home. The French wanted 400 E to put new complete motor assembly in. Cost me £26 off ebay and 2hrs when I got home thank you very much! Good luck-don't take it to a garage-easy job for diy.

Tom.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I'd have gone with gaffer tape.
My reasoning is, nobody but experienced car thiefs can nick a car these days, and had they been interested in my car, they'd have taken it anyway. Taped window or not.

The smackheads who are out to empty your car of valuables would have just crashed your window anyway if they'd spotted something interesting inside.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's held up with cardboard slivers right now. Getting a garage to do it. I've checked out the YouTube vids on taking the door cover off and replacing the regulator that's needed. That's 18 minutes of something I'm just not going to do. Although the German guy was very funny in an intentional way.

BTW who in the SEAT/ VAG thought it a good design to do the door the way they did?! 2 hours for a garage or someone with the right temperament for it. I'm too cautious so I'd take 2 days. My lass is the opposite and would have taken a Birmingham screwdriver to it after 15 minutes! Safer to take a £180 hit than wrecking the car.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE