stropping compound

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

BCpete

Hey there,

As some of you may have looked at my other thread on making a strop, which wasnt a very exciting thread but i was wandering if you had to use some sort of paste or compound or something on your strop for it to work more effectively? Ive used mine without any paste and it seems to have taken the whats called "wirey edge" of my knife after sharpening but wondered if stropping paste helps even more?

pete

I use Solvol Auto Sol

which reminds me i need to get some more :D

i use it on a Wood backed bit of leather like a file if you can clamp the knife up in a vice and get a little pressure on it you wont get sharper . I use this to hone and polish my blades before handleing will mirror finish 400to 600 gt wet n dry on the edge with a micro convex and polish up the scratch pattern on the flats.

carefull not to get the paste on wood handles it goes black when used and gets in the grain

i really need to make a clamp up for handled knifes so they dont get damaged

ATB

Duncan

B

BCpete

can you just use the strop without anything though?, just go from sharpening straight onto the leather without any sort or compound?

can you just use the strop without anything though?, just go from sharpening straight onto the leather without any sort or compound?

yes but i consider it a differnt operation as the loaded leather still abrades as well as removes the wire edge and polishes as well and i use it on the wood backing
just leather (which i rarly use) I use a a belt tied up and hold the other end classic barber style

ATB

Duncan

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland

Yes, but it will cut much slower. You can get a high polish with compounds that work much faster than leather will.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
500g block in Bill's Tool Store for £3 iirc. They had an incredibly fine one for gold and silver for £7.

cheers,
Toddy..........who doesn't sharpen, but strops on a leather covered board. Why grind away my knives any faster than I need to ?

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I use half and old dogs lead dry, that's the half the dog did'nt eat! Rough side first then change to the smooth side......

Now you've mentioned it I can see the advantage and before I read as far as the solvol, I had in mind lapping paste as used for seating car valves......maybe!

Smoggy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use pink and green buffing compound on leather,. Brilliant stuff - far far better than leather alone.

Abrasivesplus sell a block for not much

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I use Smurf Poo Blue and Flexcut Gold, I had some Red Dremel stuff that was pretty good too. I think in terms of cutting steel, red was coarsest followed by blue and gold being quite fine. They certainly do the job, and it is easy to knock up a simple strop on a block to carry along with you. You can also lay fine wet and dry over the leather for normal sharpening, the whole affair weighs next to nothing and will cater for all sharpening jobs you might encounter whilst out and about.

B

BCpete

I heard that too, tried it on a homemade strop and seemed to make my knife blunter?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE