Strimmer Line

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
bought 250ft of it off eBay to use on my crab nets but have encountered a problem, its so damn tough that you can barely tie a knot in it! its also pretty sharp and that could be a problem when pulling it in (tough gloves me thinks).
anyone know of a tough knot that will just get tighter when pulled and will stay on when being pulled very hard? i think i will have to use a metal ring and crush it over it to make it stay, but i thought i would ask you guys incase you have any good ideas.
thanks.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
ive found that warming the stuff up with a lighter or boiling water, just enough to make it supple not soft, will help tighten the knots and when it cools it holds its shape better. takes abit of practice to judge the amount of time to heat it but seems to work for me. if you want to remove the sharp edges then you could try rapping it in 1000 wet and dry and sanding it. hope this helps.
lee

Last edited:

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Aye what he said,,,,we used t' fill a pan wi' boilin' water an' have it simmerin'....dip the part o' the cord ye wants t' bend an' it should go floppy.
It don't take t' well t' melt stickin' wi' a flame.....never stays stuck!....bit o' a major net yer makin' ifin yer usin' that stuff tho.....what ye after big ol' moby?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
The other option would be to buy some more line that is better suited for the task, and use the strimmer line for a strimmer?;) seems like a lot of faffing about?

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
LOL! no i mean to tie off crab traps on the shore! not to make a crab trap! sorry if i said it so it sounded that way lol. thanks anyway, i assume the heating method would still work to just tie it to the trap. so thanks anyway :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I use this for work (gardener) Isn't it meant to snap off easily? if so it's a bad choice for a anything other than whipping plants to death!:confused:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Aye what he said,,,,we used t' fill a pan wi' boilin' water an' have it simmerin'....dip the part o' the cord ye wants t' bend an' it should go floppy.
It don't take t' well t' melt stickin' wi' a flame.....never stays stuck!....bit o' a major net yer makin' ifin yer usin' that stuff tho.....what ye after big ol' moby?

Are you in sponge bob square pants by any chance??

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
Are you in sponge bob square pants by any chance??

nah he's supposed to be like that, its how pirates talk aint it??

i will test the line a bit to see how easily it snaps, im just testing a few things, this and paracord, to see which will take the strain and last the longest.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
well after some rigorous testing, squishing with pliers, hitting with hammer, hitting with axe, tying a knot and pulling as hard as possible i have concluded it is actually indestructible and is excellent if you need to blunt a knife very quickly! took a hell of an effort to cut with the wire cutters too!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I use this for work (gardener) Isn't it meant to snap off easily? if so it's a bad choice for a anything other than whipping plants to death!:confused:

It's not designed to snap easily but wear down with use, otherwise bits would always keep flying off.

Mind you being spun round at 200mph and hitting a fence post or similar would snap just about anything.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
yea, i think it snaps easily when in a strimmer going 200mph and hitting a rock, but it should only snap when whacked sideways and not really easily when pulled hard should it?.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Strimmer line is ok on strimmers, whats it like for UV resistance exposed to sunlight all day? Polypropylene (is strimmer line polypropylene:confused:??) deteriorates and disintegrates alarmingly fast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE