Striking Steel from Old Files

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Have heard it mentioned that old files are good for steels (high carbon content). Have a friend who is a blacksmith and is willing to make a couple from old files.

Question is, is the strike face the edge of the file or the rasp face ? :confused:

And any other tips you can pass on about this specific task :D

Thanks

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If I'm making steels from old files I usually anneal the file first then hammer or grind off the rasp. The final striking steel bears no physical resemblance to the original file. The only reason for using a file is it's a cheap form of high carbon steel - guaranteed. One formed into a steel it must be rehardened to get a really good spark.

Eric

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
stovie said:
Have heard it mentioned that old files are good for steels (high carbon content). Have a friend who is a blacksmith and is willing to make a couple from old files.

Question is, is the strike face the edge of the file or the rasp face ? :confused:

And any other tips you can pass on about this specific task :D

Thanks

my son's fire steel is a section of one of my old smithy files,not messed with just about 3ins of it broken off, use the side smooth edge not the rough faces or it will damage the sharp striking edge of your flint needed to produce the hot sparks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE