Striking a match when cold and tired

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
We were taught to hold the head of the match against the finger tip and then strike the match against the box.
When cold and tired and maybe a bit 'out of it' even this can go wrong. Speaking from experience (never again) it is much easier to hold the match still and strike the box against the match. By holding the match still there is less chance of dropping it - something that is very easy to do when you can barely feel it in your fingers!

Bear

Sajuma

Dec 19, 2003
Near Geneva
When cold, I pin the match under my thumb against the box. Then just pull the match quickly. It wont burn your thumb if you are quick enough and the match it lit every time. Mind that your thumb must be dry.

Juha

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
The kids and I got very cold up in the mountains the other week and I tried to make some rat pack hot choc to warm us up. Flint and steel was a joke. It was too cold for my blowtorch too. And I used an entire pack of windproof and half a container of lifeboats before managing to finally light dry tinder. It gets really hard to do anything once you're cold. It really needs nerves of steel and a cool head!

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
It's easier said than done, but we need to tune into our own bodies and stop BEFORE fatique and inclement weather do us in. I have little use for the Rambos who make fire with ice lens or malay pirate cannon fuse. Everybody needs to find some real nasty stuff to practise in. Thats when COLD reality sets in. I have Lifeboat matches, metal match and a sparklite for systems; petroleum treated cotton balls and a small bundle of Fatwood. I hope it's enough.

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
A friend of mine showed me a good trick:

1. Hold a ball of tinder between your first finger and thumb in the left hand.

2. Strike the match in your right and then cup your hands together with the match under the tinder.

It takes a bit of practise, but when you've got it sorted it works well. The tinder might get a bit hot in your fingers when it catches but as soon as it does it's put in your kindling.
The only down side with this is that you can't see the match and if you touch your tinder with it then it might go out.

Bear

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i have often found that often manmade tinder is the only way forward when the weather gets really crappy. you know it's a great day to be in the woods when everytime you lean over to blow gently on your feeble fire and a load of rain runs off your hood right into the middle of it. :aargh4:

cheers, and.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Or the wind picks up quickly and blows the smoldering tinder into your face!!! :bu:

sargey said:
i have often found that often manmade tinder is the only way forward when the weather gets really crappy. you know it's a great day to be in the woods when everytime you lean over to blow gently on your feeble fire and a load of rain runs off your hood right into the middle of it. :aargh4:

cheers, and.

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
These things are annoying but isn't it all part of the learning curve - ready for the day when it's really needed?
I had rain drip off the end of my nose right on to a coal. In my anger I threw the tinder and the bow drill into the river! :roll:
I then had to make it all again; we live and we learn. Nowadays, if I'm making fire from wet materials I make enough tinder to put some in a dry place - just incase the fist one gets wet! :)

Bear

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I know that it sounds dumb and probably obvious but even the most obvious ot skills (such as lighting a match) need to be tried and practiced in the outdoors when you are cold and wet. Also, don't only just use one method ... practice with a lighter, matches and ferro rods under a variety of conditions ... if one runs out or breaks or you lose it, you'll have another method to fall back on!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE