Strike-a-light steel made from a file

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Got the forge going the other day and here is what i made.

001-10.jpg

004-8.jpg

011-7.jpg

017-4.jpg

018-4.jpg

009-6.jpg

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
made something like that up myself from a file but think my mistake is I quenched it in oil it throws off sparks poorly....

I quenched these first in nut oil and then strait into water to finish off the cooling i then took them into my workshop and cleaned them up so that i could watch the colour as i tempered them.

To temper them i placed them on the hot coals in my forge and when they reach straw coloured i cooled them in water.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ive made a few of these and ive always heated them beyond the curie point for large grain growth and quenched in water.Ive never tempered them though.Funny Survival bill mentions poor sparks using oil...same thing has happened to me.Some steels are oil hardening,some are water.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Ive made a few of these and ive always heated them beyond the curie point for large grain growth and quenched in water.Ive never tempered them though.Funny Survival bill mentions poor sparks using oil...same thing has happened to me.Some steels are oil hardening,some are water.
Have you ever dropped one and had it shatter on you,i have so thats the reason to temper.;)

As you can see i must be doing something right as i get plenty of sparks from them.:)

I would think that old files would be suited to oil hardening.

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Not personally but one of my customers has:eek:
Ive been using lorry leaf springs for mine,no idea what the steel is though!I know it crumbles when it overheats..

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I simply water quench the steels that I forge from files - I have not fractured any from dropping them....yet! I have cooked some of the fancy curls off in the forge though:(
The sparks are phenominal - even better than the ones off my "Dragons Breath" sets (un -reforged file steel) - and they are pretty darn sparky!

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
That's funny John because i have cooked of the fancy curls too and was gutted.:(

laundich1 i had some rail way grippers that i forged crumble like that to.:eek:

Well its all part of forging i suppose:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The joy of hitting hot metal with big hammers!
My forge is an old Wok with an old tentpole as a tue...my anvil is a bit of railway line...my bellows an airbed pump.
One day I will upgrade......

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
The joy of hitting hot metal with big hammers!
My forge is an old Wok with an old tentpole as a tue...my anvil is a bit of railway line...my bellows an airbed pump.
One day I will upgrade......
It is a joy John for sure:D

The first forge i made was from a griddle type bar-b-q,i still use it for bigger projects but it was using to much lump wood for just making knives and steels so i decided to try and make something smaller and had an old fire extinguisher hanging around so went with that.:thinkerg:

I used railway line too.:)works great don't it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE