Straw bale construction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
In a few weeks I am bonding with my lad (35!) on a straw bale construction weekend course. Has anyone built anything or done a course?

RobF

Dec 10, 2010
Cambridgeshire
I've never built one but I did design one a few years back as the architect, seemed a lot more solid than i expected and we ended with some pretty attractive U-values. Im rather jealous you get to built it as its one of the few jobs I actually wanted to go help build it on site.
do you know if you are going to be using panel construction or bale and stake?

Rob

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like a great course, I remember watching a programme on the tv years ago about somebody building one.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing some pics

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
Do a search for strawbales and grand designs on youtube, there are three or four builds that used them.

My fdream house would me made from shipping containers and straw bales :p

Sent from my HTC Dream using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's where you build the walls of a house using bales of straw, stacking them like they were bricks, then a conventional roof on top. Usually plaster the outside walls (or have massive overhangs on the roof). Dry line as per a normal house.

The straw insulates very very well and blocks noise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE