Strap cutter Tutorial

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have toyed with buying a strap cutter to cut belts blanks for some time but have always baulked at the cost. I was thinking about making one from scratch but then I had one of those sparks of inspiration… :D

Take one mortise marking tool from the local market tool store
hpim1347.jpg

hpim1348.jpg

I removed the marking pin by knocking through and then used a claw hammer to remove it being careful not to mark the main ‘bar’ as this is what the leather will eventually ride on.
hpim1349.jpg

With a very fine blade (junior hacksaw) I cut a slot for the blade from the left hand side as I am right handed – this means that when cutting you will be pushing the blade into the body. I then drilled a pilot hole to take my locking screw (the smallest I had) of which once I had screwed it in once to cut a thread I removed an files the point off to give a flat end to bite into the blade better. The blade is one from my skiver / thong cutting tool but you could use a Stanley blade snapped in half.
hpim1350.jpg

With the blade in place the screw is tightened to hold it in place
hpim1351.jpg

hpim1352.jpg

And finally a shot of it in use… - you must be wary of the exposed blade but that is the same as a number of models in Stohlmans book
hpim1354.jpg

So there you have it! - a strap cutter on a budget! ;)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Brilliant! That's another tool I can make up to take to Bulgaria with me. I'll be showing the folks over there how they can make many of their own tools from recycled material, and a strap cutter was something I was scratching my head over.

I'd consider using one of those free paper tape measures you can pick up in Ikea. Glue it to the top and give it a coat of varnish, then you can get exact measurements when you move the block. It would also be good for cutting thong from the outside in.

Overall an excellent idea, and thanks so much for posting it.

Eric

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'd consider using one of those free paper tape measures you can pick up in Ikea. Glue it to the top and give it a coat of varnish, then you can get exact measurements when you move the block. It would also be good for cutting thong from the outside in.

A cunning addition Eric! - I'll be adding that in due course ;) - I will probably add it to one of the sides as the locking screw is on the top and would probably damage the tape - still a cracking Mk2 - cheers mate! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE