Strange yellow fruit.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I've just been out for a walk to wake myself up (in work) and stumbled across these odd little yellow fruits.

they're part of the parks shrubs/hedges and have been trimmed right back to perhaps 1-2' tall, the little bushes were covered with these small golf ball sized yellow/golden fruits. they look similar to an apple in that they're rounded and have a skin similar to a pear. they smell a little of citrus.

i cut one in half to see what it was like on ths inside, it has very little flesh but a large seed pod in the middle filled with seeds very similar to pear/apple, same size and same brown colour.
the bush had no leaves left, however it did have small .5 to 1cm thorns covering it.

pics to follow tonight when i can upload from my phone.
does this ring a bell to anyone?

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Oooh you know it may just be?
i'll get the pics up tonight for further conformation but what i'm reading online now it may just be a kind of quince.
:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like it :D
Have a smell at one of them when it's warmed up a little. Mine have a lovely flowery scent. Gathered and put in a bowl they will scent the whole house :D
Tasty too.

cheers,
M

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
aha piccy time, sorry SWMBO had a friend round last night so it would have been rude to sit on the pc all night :D
DSC00348.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

we all thinking quince then?

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Flowering quince would make sense what with it being planted on a business park :D
cheers ;)
it is no longer a mystery :D

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Flowering quince would make sense what with it being planted on a business park :D
cheers ;)
it is no longer a mystery :D

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
in that case will stay clear! thanks.shame love a bit of free foraging on the way home

yeah you and me both, nice find for interest but a real shame as there are a fair number growing round here but as i've told col, the site used to be a steel works and this area is full of chemical works. those two i found were outside a cement factory lol.
wouldn't want to eat anything round here ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE