Strange bird

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I'm not much of a bird spotter though do know my pheasant from my owl. I've just seen two strange birds in a tree across the way. They had much the same body shape as pigeons, and similar colouring, even having some sort of collar around their necks, but were much bigger - the size maybe of a pheasant or buzzard. Never seen them before. They were maybe thirty feet up.

Anyone any ideas what they might b?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We get big fat wood pigeons here......cushiedoos.....they can be nearly twice the size of the ordinary pigeons and their being in the trees is normal for them.

cheers,
Toddy

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Had a look, and can see how they could very well have been woodpigeons, except for the size. They were truly big. I would have said about two foot, minimum. Can woodpigeons get that big? I read that the biggest they get is 45 cm. Like I said, I'm not a birdspotter, but am used to seeing birds about, especially in the woods the back of my house, and these were unusual enough for me to get my binoculars.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I would have said about two foot, minimum. Can woodpigeons get that big?

Nope.........

It can be difficult judging size at this time of year due to lack of scale...........if they looked like woodies i.e. same colour,markings, body shape etc. then they may well have been..............................
can you remember their beak shape,? if they had little pigeon like beaks then they can't be anything else. :rolleyes:

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
yes, their heads were much like pigeons, including the collar round the neck. So, if they couldn't have been anything else, will put it down to misjudgement of size. Not that I am a hunter (other than trout fishing), but I imagine a woodsman could have made a really decent pie out of them.
I do like pigeon pie, as well.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Photo shamelessly stolen from and hotlink to somewhere else on the web...

13142d1269271511-wood-pigeon-columba-palumbus-sh6971-1003-18-wood_pigeon-columba_palumbus.jpg

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Might also be a collared dove, although they are a good bit smaller than a wood pigeon, so the answer is probably a woodie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE