Straight Firebow?

wolfshead

Jun 21, 2008
Kibblesworth
Iv'e just been reading "Bushcraft" by Mors Kochanski and he recommends using a straight firebow instead of the normal bowed one, in fact he states "The straighter the bow stick the better it works" just wondering if anyone has tried this and what were the results compared to a normal firebow.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Straight is good. No need for a bowed bow as the drill should be twisted in so that it is on the outer side of the cordage anyway, so it doesn't sit inbetween the string and bow.

wolfshead

Jun 21, 2008
Kibblesworth
Sounds about right as he states later on that the bow should clatter against the drill when it's being used. I'll have to give it a go next time I'm out. Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Straight is good. No need for a bowed bow as the drill should be twisted in so that it is on the outer side of the cordage anyway, so it doesn't sit inbetween the string and bow.

I do it the other way round and it works fine. I don't feel I'm 'pulling' the spindle as well as turning it when I do it that way.
I've always preferred a short bow too, (certainly under 60cms or two feet) Long ones are just too much effort.
If the cord grips the spindle enough to give a good twist without loosing too much energy holding it, I reckon virtually any set up works fine.

.........wait for the fireworks........:D

cheers,
Toddy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm with Toddy on this one, once you have technique down I'm sure almost any setup will work.

I find a slight curve in the bow best for me, allows fingers and thumb to add a touch extra tension when needed while getting a good grip on the bow itself.

I don't see how a clattering spindle and bow can make for good technique, sounds sloppy to me ... what were you saying about fireworks Toddy?? :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I much prefer a straight bow .... I find them so much easier to use.

Ed

Likewise,
A straight bow will be stiffer and lighter than bowed bow! You also won't have so many string tension issues because once it is set, there are fewer problems with the bow "following the string" (into a tighter curve!)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:confused: Lighter? How?

I've just weighted my favourite firebow and complete with it's string it weighs in at 97 grams............and I must have made a coal with it over a 100 times this year alone.

I still reckon that once the set up works, it works.

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If a curved bow works for you, then use it. I was answering a question that specifically asked about a straight bow. I think I answered it fairly enough.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No complaints about that Spamel; it's just that sometimes things come over as, "This is the only properly approved way.... "
I'm talking about entries in books as well as on the forum here.
One man's meat and all that.

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
:confused: Lighter? How?

I've just weighted my favourite firebow and complete with it's string it weighs in at 97 grams............and I must have made a coal with it over a 100 times this year alone.

I still reckon that once the set up works, it works.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy,
Its a generalisation, stemming from:-
To get the same string length from a straight bow and a curved one, the curved one has to traverse an arc, therefore, is longer than the straight bow, and hence contains more material.
Similarly the stiffness,
A curved bow has to resist the torque/bending effect at its tips, whereas a straight one merely suffers a "push - pull" motion.

Your bow at less than 100 grams must be a delight to use and you must barely know you are carrying it.
I'll divert to Spams advice though, if you have a set that works, keep using it!

HTH

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
it's just that sometimes things come over as, "This is the only properly approved way.... "
I'm talking about entries in books as well as on the forum here.
One man's meat and all that.

cheers,
Toddy

Yup,
I suffered from this recently, and I'll not discuss it on open forum.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
I have tried the straight bow. It works fine. No problems encountered. I tried it exactly as Mors Kochanski describes it.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
There have been many valid comments made on preference and simply the set on hand, but I would like to add my perspective that has been heavily influenced by spending weeks with Mors Kochanski.

To watch Mors work in the bush is phenomenal, he is fluent in the skills and most importantly (particularly in a survival situation) efficient with his energy. Some of his insistence on a straight bow is pure efficiency.

Some of our most common woods that are suitable for making a firebow include the Salix sp. (willow) Betula sp. (birch) and Alnus sp. (Alder). These species, particularly the young or second growth individuals, will grow very straight and of fairly consistent diameter. In keeping with his motto of efficiency, why search for the 1 in a 100 that would be perfectly bow shaped, when a straight stick is functional and assumes a mild bow shape immediately upon being tensioned when the spindle is being positioned.

Having shared my interpretation of his ideas, I would like to encourage "each to their own" in keeping with Mors own personality. He is open to questioning and challenging of his own ideas and would always encourage a person to find what works for them. This humbleness towards his students is what makes him one of the greatest bushcraft instructors of all time. A truly refreshing personality to spend time around.

Remember, your skills are only as good as the materials you are able to work with!

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grey Owl my reply was not a criticism of Mors, simply that I disagreed with the statement that a straight bow is always the best one.
I live surrounded by trees, and willow (cut for basketry) and apple (pruned to keep it in fruit) apart, nothing around me grows straight lengths unless I cut down a sapling. It's really not that hard to find a bent bit of stick.
Besides a firebow doesn't need that much of a bend anyway, the cord can pull it into shape a bit if necessary, generally any bend is at the handle end. ( Imagine the curve of the branches at the bottom of a Leylandii)
If the straight bow works for you, then excellent :) I find it too much like hard work for not enough return. That's my experience, yours is obviously different.
Mr Kochanski, as ever, offers excellent advice, but I suspect he'd be among the first to say, "There are other ways too."

If I weren't so bad at working out how to load photos every blasted time I'd suggest we turn this thread into a Show your Firemaking Kit thread :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE