Stovie comes out of the rain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Well, it is rather damp this evening.

Just a brief introductory to say hello to all out there.

I'm middle-aged (never thought I'd hear myself say that), but staying young by enrolling my 8yr old son (and 6yr old daughter who hates to be left out of anything) into the joys of bushcraft.

My son has become quite adept at shelter building and firelighting (though not with flint and steel yet) over the last few months, and shows a hardiness that warms the heart of an old scout leader (which is one of my other personas). I wondered about posting a couple of images on the forum of him in the throes of lighting his first fire, but not sure if it is possible. Do I have to do it using a hyperlink to a site?

Looking forward to taking him on a "blue-nose" camp in november/december, to see what he is really made of :umbrella:

Cheers

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Hi mate, Welcome aboard.. glad to hear your children are getting the bug..

with reguards to posting a picture.. theres two ways
1.host is online somewhere like www.photobucket.com and then link to it here using codeing.
2.(as the pictures are bushcraft relevant) upload them to the BCUK gallery and post them from there..

any probs give us a shout!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I appear to have posted the images of my son's first bushcamp earlier this year. They can be found on the site at home< member galleries> stovie.

Good luck, it took me long enough to find them....and I posted them.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi Stovie and a warm welcome from a fire nutcase.

Just to show it can be done - here is one of your pictures.

DSCF2238_copy.jpg

What I did was find the picture in the gallery. Then I right clicked on it and then picked "properties". It then gave me the full web address of the picture. I copied this. Then I opened "reply" in this thread and clicked on the "insert image" icon at the top and pasted in the web address of the picture.

That's how I do it, but I don't know if that is the easiest way.

Good fire lighting skills there by the way.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
stovie said:
My son has become quite adept at shelter building and firelighting (though not with flint and steel yet) over the last few months, and shows a hardiness that warms the heart of an old scout leader (which is one of my other personas).

I confess I moved off regular scout leading due to work pressures but then found myself more and more interested in fire lighting. So I go back occasionally and play with fire with the lads. I amazed myself a few months ago when one evening I got every one of our small troop to get flames starting from nothing more than a tiny glow started from a spark, using some charred cloth and some materials I gathered in the local park for tinder

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
rich59 said:
I confess I moved off regular scout leading due to work pressures but then found myself more and more interested in fire lighting. So I go back occasionally and play with fire with the lads. I amazed myself a few months ago when one evening I got every one of our small troop to get flames starting from nothing more than a tiny glow started from a spark, using some charred cloth and some materials I gathered in the local park for tinder

Hi Rich

and thanks to everyone that has said hello back.

Following on from the above, my main objective in getting involved with scouting is to try and bring the group back to basics, including all the skills of bushcraft like fire making and shelter building, and actually putting all those knots to good use. Going on a "green field" camp early next year, where they will have to survive on what they can forage. Their faces lit up when I mentioned skinning rabbits....

Thanks also for the tips on posting images. I'll get the hang of it

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Hello Hello Hello Hello and in case you misunderstood, Hello
Welcome to Bushcraftuk may all who sail in her......................
hmm Bushcraftuk isnt a boat?????? oh!

Welcome aboard anyway mate :)

Treading water
Garry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE