Stove guidance / recomendation please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Krolus

Aug 12, 2009
Leicestershire UK
Wow guys some great feedback.

I see a lot of love for the jetboil and the trangia, not so much for the crusader system.

Looking at the comments and how I know I will use the gear it looks like for day hiking solo or with my son a jetboil for brew making and some simple MRE lunch reheating looks the way to go. I think I will need the windshield and the pot stabiliser with this.

Weekend hikes I think ill throw in a trangia with a trangia fuel bottle to stop leakage myself blowing us up. This should cover the more substantial cooking.

I think ill add a stainless steel crusader cup to both of the 58 pat water bottles and that gives another option if we find a place that allows open fires etc.

Ill be making some vaseline coated cotton balls to add to my fire kit, is it worth throwing in a couple of sachets of fire snot or a box of hexy blocks into the back pack?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Would you still reccomend a Trangia??

Yes, indeed. Worst thing that could happen is that he spills some meth outside the burner, which will burn for a few seconds/minutes, no harm done. Filling up a scorching hot burner is not clumsiness, that's pure stupidity (a harsh word maybe, absent minded is maybe more appropriate).

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I did it, I chose wrong, I knew the Trangia system was the best, but I opted for the MSR Whisperlite and a couple of titanium pots. But now, I have the Trangia 27 and have discovered something very interesting ;

http://blip.tv/file/570934/

A multifuel burner that fits the Trangia, yeah, even more flexibility, so plans now to flog the whisperlite and titanium to get a burner and bottle.

I am gearing up slowly for a planned trek into North Africa in a few years time, safety considered, I need a stove that works, and Trangia's integrated system does.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I did it, I chose wrong, I knew the Trangia system was the best, but I opted for the MSR Whisperlite and a couple of titanium pots. But now, I have the Trangia 27 and have discovered something very interesting ;

http://blip.tv/file/570934/

A multifuel burner that fits the Trangia, yeah, even more flexibility, so plans now to flog the whisperlite and titanium to get a burner and bottle.

I am gearing up slowly for a planned trek into North Africa in a few years time, safety considered, I need a stove that works, and Trangia's integrated system does.

The Trangia (wish that reviewer would pronounce it correctly) is for burning alcohol only.

The multifuel unit he used is an Optimus Nova unit minus the leg supports.

I would say buy a Nova for very little more so you have the complete Nova stove, and the conversion kit to fit it in the trangia, this way you have the two cooking systems and not just one.

Another option is to use the Primus Omnifuel which like the Nova is multifuel, uses the same kit to mount in the Trangia but will also use standard thread gas cans as well as liquid fuel.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Thanks, I will look into that. On the video, what was particularly interesting, was the burner head, it looked like the simple design that my old optimus no.96 was, quite literally a vapourising tube with internal rolled gauze,(easy to pull out and flush), and the familiar pressed brass flame spreader. I wonder even, if the priming cup is the same. If it is, a very simple unit and by that, reliable, and trust worthy.

What I think makes the whisperlite attractive, is the shaker jet assembly. Am certainly not too enamoured about the often troublesome plastic fuel pump assembly.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
A few other options:

The mini Trangia. It's light and compact but robust, but best of all an absolue bargain at £16 + postage here http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Stoves.html (while the 20% off lasts). It's best with a foil windshield though, but spot on for brewing up or boil in the bag.

The caldera cone. I had one for a while with my snow peak trek 700. You have to buy the cone matched to your mug, but it's lightweight and very fuel efficient. Unfortunately I trod on mine stamping out a little fire I'd accidently started :-o and I can't find a stove to go in it that does as good a job. Basically, because of the chimney effect they all burn too fast/hot - yes alcohol stoves! Goes through fuel like there's no tomorrow, with only a modest improvement in cooking times.

The tatonka stand/burner combo. This is what I've been using, stuffed in a mug stuffed in a foil windshield stuffed in a trek 900. You need to bend the legs though (there's a post on here where someone else has done it) for smaller pots. Not the fastest thing going.

I've been playing round with the cheapo ebay multifuel burner - the was a thread on here a while back. I've got it working fine now that I've figured out how to prime it without loosing my eyebrows, but to be honest the weight and hassle puts me off for day hikes and overnighters.

Just some thought/options.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks, I will look into that. On the video, what was particularly interesting, was the burner head, it looked like the simple design that my old optimus no.96 was, quite literally a vapourising tube with internal rolled gauze,(easy to pull out and flush), and the familiar pressed brass flame spreader. I wonder even, if the priming cup is the same. If it is, a very simple unit and by that, reliable, and trust worthy.

What I think makes the whisperlite attractive, is the shaker jet assembly. Am certainly not too enamoured about the often troublesome plastic fuel pump assembly.

The Nova has a little magnetic needle cleaner, the tool that comes for maintenance is sort of just waved under the burner (its magnetic) and hey presto the stove jet is clean. I've been using one of my Nova's since 2004 or 2005 and the total maintenance apart from a bit of grease on the pump leather has been zero, nada, nothing, very very reliable stove.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
I picked up the Trangia - branded multifuel burner (Nova) in Denmark a few years ago. It is fantastic! Sounds like a jet engine when you first light up, but reliable, quick to boil, and pretty economical with fuel. Excellent in any weather, but I wouldn't use it under a tent fly!! I find the Primus fuel that you can get in Cotwold for about £5 per litre to be first class, although I've also used white spirit very successfully - just a bit more smelly. As Rik says, minimal maintenance other than greasing the leather cup. Having said that, my local Cotswold was selling off Nova spares kits a few weeks ago, as they are no longer stocking the stove. I bought 2 for £7.95 each - down from £17.95 each!

I usually take a Trangia meths burner and small bottle of meths as well just as a backup.

I've been using Trangias all over the world for the last 40 years - in fact I still have my original set. and I would swear by them. They are a compromise, but so is every cookset. That said - the Ultralight aluminium set and Nova burner, for me, is the absolute mutt's spuds:D

The Crusader cup/burner is fine as a quick brew kit, with either hexy or the gel.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The only issue I've had with my Nova+ is that there is a bit of a design flaw on the pump leather itself, and after a few goes at pumping when it was new I realised I wasn't generating any pressure at all. I whipped it apart and took a look and the leather cup had pulled over the nut holding it in place. There is a washer behind the cup for when you push down, but not one on the nut side for when you pull the pump back out and this is where the cup had come away. I removed the nut, put the leather cup back in place and fitted a small washer to the inside before re-tightening the nut. I've never had a problem since.

I cannot remember the last time I used the magnet waver thingy to clean the jet, I'm running it on paraffin from B&Q and what I tend to do is pump 20 strokes, open the valve a little and then close it, flash the parrafin up with a ferro rod or lighter and let it almost burn out and then turn on the fuel. Sometimes it comes to life by itself, this must be the needle moving due to heat or something, I've only ever had it flare up once or twice due to impatience and not letting it preheat enough. Both times was away from any tentage so no drama at all and I always light it from arms length anyway so I keep my eyebrows! I learnt that the hard way when lighting puffing billies in the Army! I also like the way you can purge the fuel line of fuel after use so there aren't any nasty drips in your kit, this is done by just turning the fuel bottle over onto the other side so that the fuel line inside is pointing up into an air void in the bottle. The pressurised air then forces fuel out of the fuel line and then you can pack your stove away with the fuel line still open. This stops the needle from jamming.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just remember to close it before try to light it again :eek:
(guess how I know... :eek: )

You realise after a few pumps anyway if you do forget, and that is your priming fuel already sorted! I think it's a great bit of kit, and the fact that you just turn the fuel line to change the burn and don't need to go near the hot end is a bonus for me. It's well worth shelling out for the Nova+. I had a mate who had the Whisperlite who couldn't believe how small the Nova+ packed down and how controllable it was.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi all

I think your choice of stove will end up being a personal one .
What I can say is I have had a jetboil for a number of years with out any problems
but what I must say is I only use it for boiling water.
They do have their new cooking system out now which looks intresting.
For pots and pans I use a msr dragonfly multi fuel stove which never let me down

scott

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Could never got on with the Whisperlite due to the lack of simmer...
The Dragonfly I I still use but usually end up deaf after brewing up as it's every so slighly LOUD!.. :) Good for the simmer though...

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
i use a optimus nova which is a fantastic stove and hase never let me down in about 7 years of using it on normal petrol and sometimes parrafin in summer when i carry a stove just for making a quick brew i carry a pocket rocket by msr and a small canaster of gas
hope this helps

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Ive tried all sorts of stoves and i still settle on my hobo stove with hexitabs/meths burner for use when woodsmoke would be frowned upon.

I think i could cook for two people for a week on it but i couldent imagine me carrying a weeks worth of food for two people.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
iv been told TRAN-JEE-A and also TRANG-E-A :confused:

another trangia/meths burner vote from me

pete

Its always been TRANG E A to me, the TRAN JEE A seems a popular way with ex army types for some reason. The TRAN YA is the best way I can describe the sound off the Swedish (or he may be from Norway, can't remember) fella's sound clip; not important I guess in the scheme of things.

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
The Jetboil might best be thought of as a very efficient 'kettle' and perfect for quick stops. It's discreet enough to use anywhere without things looking like a 'campsite'. You could sit on a park bench and brew up and no-one would notice. I use mine for work breaks too when I get the munchies. Noodles take no room. I've even used it in the car.

Can even be handheld. I've done it twice - just be a bit careful. I prefer to rest the lid on top rather than push it down. Easier and safer to get off. No boiling water going everywhere.

The cooker/stand kit is worth having so a pot and pan can be used, plus it's safer for those small canisters. Loses efficiency though as it just becomes a normal cooker again. Best use the bigger canisters if you plan to do fry-ups and all that.

It was expensive for a kettle/cooker and may seem a bit too 'specialized' for some, but I have no regrets at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE