Stove guidance / recomendation please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

BCpete

100% trangia, thinking of it even on the heavy side its the bestest stove ive ever owned and works great in the wind, boiled half a crusader cup in mid strong winds in around 10 minutes:D with only quarter filled burner on meths!

pete

W

woodlanduk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGomIOsNO-s
OK guys this is my main stove and having used it now for a whole year and gone through only 1 service item find its one of the best omnifuel type cookers in this country, if your going to rely on a single cooker for many seasons the fuel type is season and weight dependant i myself use LPG for summer and mainly Unleaded Petrol for the cold and wet parts of the year .
when you look at the price of Coleman white fuel at £7:00 per 500 ml thats aprox £63:eek:o per gallon so £5/Gal for unleaded is worth the fuel cost saving all be it a little more work in servicing your cooker throughout the year.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
dunno if anyones pointed it out but the military trangia makes a good hobo stove as well. costs about the same as putting one together anyway...

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
dunno if anyones pointed it out but the military trangia makes a good hobo stove as well. costs about the same as putting one together anyway...

I've used my Trangia set as a hobo stove a few times - it's a very good hobo stove, but the only problem is that it is made of aluminium and I find that it warps a little. As a result the billy can doesn't fit back into it after the body has been used as a hobo. I've always been able to bend it back into shape, but I'm worried about permanently damaging what is an excellent piece of kit

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you are into getting a trangia then go for one of the trangia clones. There are other manufacturers out there making trangia rip offs Gelert, Higear I think do them. Someone mentioned the mini trangia for £16! Not bad but Gelert one for £10 RRP is better (also 30g lighter). I'd avoid the mini trangia like a plague. It is not in any way good in the wind.

I prefer the primus eta express over the Jetboil PCS, cheaper and better. They are tougher than you think these two stoves but are just about heating water not for proper cooking.

If you really insist on going meths then the Caldera Cone is really the only way to go if you are backpacking. It is a lot lighter then the Trangia system and you buy the version for the pot you want to use it with. It comes with a can type stove that is optimised to the cone so you get the best efficiency. An example of this is it comes with a tiny fuel bottle and a measuring cup I believe. You are actually supposed to measure out the exact amount needed to cook what you are cooking. Usually boiling a set amount of water for a brew or to rehydrate food. A brilliant system if you ask me.

If you like the look of the caldera cone then I suggest you look at a few sites from the US that help you make them and the stove that comes with the cone. IF you do go that far then you need help as you have just become what is known in UL backpacking circles a "stovie". :D

I find my primus micron without a windshield uses a 100g can last up to 7 days. That is basically for boiling water to rehydrate and for brews. You bring the ater to the boil then use a cosy off the stove to actually rehydrate the food. Very efficient and minimises the amount of fuel you need to carry.

For these lighter cooking systems I've mentioned look at backpackinglight.co.uk or winwoods outdoors based in Keswick.

I second the honey stove. It is one of the 8 or 9 stoves I have. Minibull designs do some interesting meths stoves if you are interested. Those are for the commited (or should be) UL types.

Love kelly kettles but can't justify the purchase in light of the price / frequency of use ratio involved. Would never carry one on a 10 day backpack or indeed any backpack. Would be good canoe touring though. Although I've heard the drum of a washing machine also makes a good stove in that use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE