stove advise optimus vs msr

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I'm thinking of treating myself to a new stove. I'm upgrading and going lighter and smaller from my current user; coleman 550b.
I think i have narrowed my choices to an optimus nova/nova+ or an MSR whisperlite.

I'm canvassing for opinions. Which is best?
easiest to use/maintain/durable?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I ditched my MSR (dragonfly) - the plastic pump failed (twice) while I was out and about. I got sick and tired of being let down by an expensive stove made off plastic tat. No idea if they use plastic pumps on the whisperlite, but if they do, I wouldn't take one as a gift.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Primus Omnifuel is the pick of multifuels IME.

It has the metal pump of the Optimus (MRS is plastic) but is less susceptible to damaging the bottom nut. It also simmers much better than the others with it's two control valves.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I ditched my MSR (dragonfly) - the plastic pump failed (twice) while I was out and about. I got sick and tired of being let down by an expensive stove made off plastic tat. No idea if they use plastic pumps on the whisperlite, but if they do, I wouldn't take one as a gift.

That's not cricket!! I have an primus expedition multifuel; it too has a plastic pump but has always seemed fine - maybe yours was a bad batch? Strange that it failed twice mate, did you follow it through with msr?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope, flogged the stove (with a new pump and a warning).

It wasn't the pump replacement that royally hacked me off but being left with no stove in the **** end of nowhere. When I buy an expensive bit of kit I expect it to last. MSR didn't and I won't be foolish enough to buy their products again.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Optimus Nova for me every time. I have seen the Fuel pipe on MSR stoves ruptured,, rendering the stove totally unusable. The Nova is a relatively simple stove with little to go wrong on it. Its metal pump is superb as is the flip-the-bottle-over means of decompressing it after use.

Although I'm sure the Primus equivalent is good, I've never had much joy with it.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I love my Nova to bits but if you can get the old version, its less plasticky and I much prefer the control on the stove rather than at the tank end of the fuel pipe as you can lift the lit stove with it if you have to shift in a hurry, which has happened to me more than once.

ATB

Tom

Correction, they still make the Nova, its the Nova + that isn't as good for me

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/o...ts/katadynshopconnect/optimus-outdoor-kocher/

Last edited:

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
If you want a bargain, then this the bargain of the century! I have one, it hasn't missed a beat for two years, both my kids got one for Christmas....no expense spared for my kids!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I thought I remembered seeing something about a problem with the Optimus stove..taken from the website.
"As a result of the receipt of a number of reports of fuel leakage in the field and after quality assurance analysis, Katadyn Products Inc. has decided to voluntarily recall some Optimus Nova and Optimus Nova+ Multifuel Expedition Stoves. If you bought your stove between January 2009 and September 2010 and it has a black burner housing and shows a QA-number from QA000011-QA007313, please fill in the form below to file your request for an exchange. The QA-number of the stove is located on the side of the black burner housing. All Nova and Nova+ stoves with silver burner housing have no QA-number and are not affected. Please also see our FAQs to identify your stove." Taken from their website.

Sent from somewhere?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Phew! I bought my Nova a long time before then!

If they recalled them, they have obviously sorted out the problem on more recently made stoves so, in theory, this problem no longer exists...

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Yeah it seems by reading that all new ones are ok and it was only the ones with black housing.

Sent from somewhere?

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've had a Whisperlite for many years not had any problems however after long term storage and generally not being used for quite a while the pumps thumb pad/circle thingy broke so replaced that not had any other issues...

Sent from somewhere?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Had my whisperlite for 13 years now and never had an issue with it, i gues you get some faulty units from any manufacturer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE