MSR WhisperLite International Stove V2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just wanted to say hi and provide some feedback on a new stove upgrade..
412zqKztBfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

P1100783.JPG

msr 241 vs omnifuel 355
P1100784.JPG

The new MSR WhisperLite International Stove V2 from MSR
-comes with Stove, pump, tool, pump oil, spare orings,

web page info
•FEATURES
•Improved Multi-Fuel Performance: Burns white gas, kerosene, and unleaded auto fuel.
•Lighter & More Stable: Stamped stainless steel legs greatly improve stability and reduce weight.
•Compact: Folds small and fits inside most MSR® pots.
•Field Maintainable: Self-cleaning Shaker Jet technology and new, one-piece leg assembly allow fast cleaning and maintenance in the field.

Upgrades i noticed:

-Jets are taller or shorter to provide different air intake ratios
-heater tube is larger then older
-stamped legs upgrade from rolled legs
-larger legs to support larger pots
-legs are part of stove so they do not fall apart when jet(fuel line removed)
-legs have stops rather then difficult detends like old version.
-allen head screw holding flame deflector in place
-

Long story short I used to have a brunton nova till the burner snapped.

Great stove only issue is its very difficult to make is simmer or requires a great deal of work. Other down fall is the plastic pump but if you handle it with care it works fine. Obviously msr went this route for weight savings.

Positives:
-lightweight
-packs well
-simple design
-huge BTU output

Negatives:
-very difficult to simmer
-noise level but less then some other stoves (dragonfly)
-pump is plastic
-can't flip fuel bottle (easily) to burn fuel in line

71.96 free shipping is what I paid, US Funds
74.99 is the lowest price I can find now
http://tinyurl.com/6nsqrtr

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Nice thread , I enjoyed reading about it.
I've had a Whisperlite for maybe 20years now and have got used to its foibles.
One HUGE positive for your list is the truly exceptional after-sales service you
can expect from MSR.They are not the cheapest items on the market but the
guarantees are gold-plated and spare parts are also readily available in the UK.
The plastic pump IS the weak point but is much more robust than it seems and
I'm only on my second one after years of use.
Cheers , Simon

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys, Im currently watching wha I think is the older Msr whisperlite international, Im currently the highest bidder on £19.
Do you thik its actually worth that sort of money?
I have never even seen one before let alone used it, I just saw multi fuel stove and put a cheely bid in!!
It doesnt come with a fuel botlebut I guess they are easily bought?
Cheers
Steve

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yes mate, fuel bottles are easily got, as are pumps.

I don't know much about that stove but whatever you get, you'll really need a service/spares kit sooner or later to keep it purring.

Check some reviews, add it all up and see how much your saving is my advice.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
If you can get it for £20 it is a bargain. Most of the cleaning maintenance can be done by a novice and spares are cheap.Mine is the old model and works first time every time : even at altitude. Fuel bottle from Field & Trek about a tenner
but not sure onthe pump. Get it bought.
Cheers , Simon

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I missed out on that, it went for £35 which would appear to be a bargain!!

I am however now bidding on a used honey which Iv always wanted :cool:

I totaly agree Simon MSR has an amazing customer service. Unfortunely I have had to use the customer serivce and hands down MSR rocked every other company. Actually I was really shocked to see how poor some other companys customer service was. Optimus stoves owned by katadyn is one of the worst, they outright refused to return calls or emails. And when I asked to purchase replacement parts for my stove they refused to sell me anything. The only option they provided was for me to purchase a complete new stove. ***? And excuses where the couldn't sell me parts because of liablity issues *** !!
So buyer beware katadyn or optimus

plastic-ninja
One HUGE positive for your list is the truly exceptional after-sales service you
can expect from MSR., Simon

Well
35 British pounds = 56.5071555 Canadian dollars
or
35 British pounds = 55.30700 U.S. dollars

Can be purchased new for 60.00 usd http://www.bigskycountry.com/page/i...=GoogleBase&ne_ppc_id=1183&ne_key_id=24827816

I missed out on that, it went for £35 which would appear to be a bargain!!

I am however now bidding on a used honey which Iv always wanted :cool:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I had a problem with the brass valve in the plastic MSR pump (I think to be fair it was on the Dragonfly). The valve somehow seized shut and I sheared it off trying to open it. Had to get a replacement pump. I now leave the valve open.

No problems with the part on my Whisperlite. I actually prefer the Whisperlite to the Dragonfly despite its poor simmer because it strikes me as more robust than the Dragonfly.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I like MSR gear, pricey over here though and they are banned from shipping overseas apparently so you need to lump it

MSR are just switched onto the fact that the global marketplace is fast becoming a reality. By electing to not sell to markets outside of the USA where they have well established distributors they are supporting that distributor.

The MSR Whisperlite is a good stove....

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I have just bought myself one of these whisperlite international stoves for a trip to India. Petrol is easily gotten, even if you gotta siphon it out of a tuk tuk! Lol

I know what you mean about a very hot simmer setting though. I thought I would make a diffuser plate for it.

I had an old patio heater pot that came with a cheap knock off flat tabletop gas stove. I unscrewed the top off and removed the circular plates out of it that I wanted.

Cut some notches in the correct places with side cutters and added an air vent in the plate near where the generator pipe sits, so to have a good visual of the flame when the defuser plate is in use.

I tried the first stainless steel sheet plate and it worked and I also used the heavier metal painted cap. Used together it provides a very gentle simmer. I fried some onions on it as a test and simmered a pot of water gently without having a rolling boil.

I'm gonna post some pictures below.

This is the patio heater pot that sits on a cheap stove as a gimmick.

fGgl3.jpg

The two circular plates I wanted. I have already cut the notches here.
LOSlb.jpg

The stainless light steel sheet plate.
K0Aem.jpg

The heavier end cap together with the first plate.
RTdui.jpg

I am pleased with it as I can now simmer home made soups and gently fry things out in the bush with a big 30oz bottle of petrol.

Cheers!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE