storing meths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miyakoboy

Aug 16, 2004
South Harting
i've just been investigating storing meths, and i'm a little concerned about what sort of bottle to store in. At the moment i'm using an msr fuel bottle, but wondered if the meths might corrode it? any ideas suggestions? thanks

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Storing when?

Trangia do some solid looking bottles(and they should know about meths!). If you are worried about long term storage at home, what's wrong with the bottle the meths comes in from the shop? They aren't all that tough, but stood in the cupboard they last forever ;)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I'm with Chris on this put it back in the bottle it came in, put it on the shelf and forget about it until you need it next.

J*

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i use a tesco household hand wash dispenser refill bottle, have done for years, never had a problem, also i have stored petrol like this with no problem.

the botles are slightly flexible, and pretty tough, the good thing is you can see how much fuel you have left without opening the bottle.

i have used sigg bottles in the past but i find them quite bulky i only tend to use a fraction of a bottle.

fungy

Jun 15, 2005
york
Have heard that sigg bottles can end up leaking if meths are left in for a long time,Heard a nasty story of what can happen if the bottle corodes anough if the bottle is being used with a fuel pump such as with msr or primus stoves the bottle can turn into a colinder, not the best thing if you are in the middle of cooking your tea.

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
I use the Trangia bottle,which is excellent and store the surplus in the plastic bottle the meths comes in. I keep the bottle in a cool garage.

Every so often if the Trangia bottle has not been used for a while I release the pressure and then do it back up again.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE