Storing a trailer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hi All,

This isnt a very bushy question but here goes.

I have a small Erde 122 trailer that i use for summer camping with my family. I keep it garaged on its wheels and fully loaded ready to go.

Question is, am i doing any damage to it. I was wondering if it could damage the tyres?

Thanks in advance.

Jon.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If everything is well greased, the tyres are well inflated and screened from the sun, and it's under cover so water doesn't get into everything and rot it, I'd say you probably don't have a problem from the load or the fact that it's static. But if it were mine I'd hitch it up and run it round the block two or three times a year just to make sure the wheels still go round and the lights still work. My brother-in-law has a trailer. It had been sitting in his garden unused for about five years, and I asked to borrow it. The lights didn't work, the wheels, suspension, jockey wheel jack and towing hitch were all siezed and there were huge patches of dry rot in some of the wooden bits. It took me nearly a week to get it into towable condition.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Thanks both for the speedy replies.

Its garaged and its galvanised so im happy it wont rot. Point taken about giving at run periodically. Will probably jack it up on some blocks as a precaution just in case the tyres flat spot / go out of shape etc.

Regards, Jon.

garethw

Settler
Tyres last for about five years (there should be a date or date code on the flank).. if yours are cracked or show signs of rubber damage they may need changing... Even jacked off the floor your rubber will age, harden and become porous.
When you tow just make sure you check your pressure, and the general aspect of your tyres and have a good new spare and you'll have no worries.
The rest of the trailor even out doors will suffer no harm... I've got three and a horse box in my field.
cheers
Gareth

dj77

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2010
South West, UK
This is a very real problem and something I too have been concerned about. You can seriously flat spot your tyres if left for any length of time (more so if laden). If jacking up and putting on blocks is too impeding for quick access most trailer centres sell rounded chocks that distribute the weight on the lower part of the tyre instead of one point.
586ed9b5-1ad7-c7e4.jpg
it's called a tyresaver.
Hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE