Stop Heavy Bleeding. Advice Please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Re. Use of sugar/honey for wounds. It has been used in much of the world for centuries, here's a recent study from the Univ. of Wolverhampton.

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/Default.aspx?page=24330

Great piccys to look with breakfast.
That is using sugar on deeply infected tissue, it doesn't help fresh bleeding wounds. If a wound is starting to look infected it may get you a better out come. I used to make "icing" with tea tree when my daughters skin would get infections. She had severe eczema and regularly got impetigo.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I can't find any good evidence one way or the other, but granular things help the blood to clot because they form a framework for the fibrin to form on so it could be that. Tea bags work as wound dressings for a similar reason but also because the tannins promote clotting. Many traditional herbal anti-bleeding plants are high in tannins which is one of the reasons that they work. Spider web is another traditional one which I suspect is again the effect of a fine structure encouraging clot formation. Sphagnum moss would work in a similar way and is also anti-bacterial.

First action is always pads and pressure rather than fiddle about with chemicals or other things. If I knew that I tended to bleed heavily I migh go for one of the medical hemostatic granules and learn how to use them properly.

Hi Tristar 777

I have always found coffee granules are an excellent coagulant. I have used them on a few extreme mountaineering wounds with great success over the years. Coffee sachets are a must in the first aid kit. Aaahh memories - old sweaty socks and plenty of coffee granules - stops the bleeding almost straight away -let the hospital deal with sterilising the wound!
Word of advice - expresso coffee will not stop the bleeding quicker!

Cheers
Huggie

Last edited:

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I was reminded earlier today that cayenne pepper was reportedly good for stopping bleeding, but as with most of these things it would depend on the severity.

via Tapatalk mind control.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I was at a conferece last week and saw a wound closure device- think a large clear bulldog clip that grips the edges of a wound with small pins- good for lacerations certainly.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can't find any good evidence one way or the other, but granular things help the blood to clot because they form a framework for the fibrin to form on so it could be that. Tea bags work as wound dressings for a similar reason but also because the tannins promote clotting. Many traditional herbal anti-bleeding plants are high in tannins which is one of the reasons that they work. Spider web is another traditional one which I suspect is again the effect of a fine structure encouraging clot formation. Sphagnum moss would work in a similar way and is also anti-bacterial.

First action is always pads and pressure rather than fiddle about with chemicals or other things. If I knew that I tended to bleed heavily I migh go for one of the medical hemostatic granules and learn how to use them properly.

Don't use fresh moss. It carrys a fungal infection and it has a lot of other organc material in amongst the leaves. Boiled washed and dried it is good stuff.

Facit:

• Cut resistant gloves - plenty of very comfy versions of these. If doing axe work consider the pants. Open bone breaks are an issue you can't use PPE for and could be a significant issue for you.
  • A great sticker I saw while learning forestry in sweden "Warning - Accidents with chainsaws are rarely trivial"
  • Wound packing. Maxi pads, trauma pads, whatever. Yup.
  • CAT - Yes. Several reasons. Bleeding out happens fast - from a cut, from an open bone break, etc. You can't keep pressure on when you are unconscious.
  • Have something more than a cell phone. (Delorme InReach or similar.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE