Stop Heavy Bleeding. Advice Please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. Im looking at my FAK in a new light after attending the local hospital to have a "lump" removed from my fore head. Let me explain. I have a few medical issues that require me to take asprin daily and other blood thinners. When the Doctor removed the lump, (this was after 7 days of not taking the blood thinners prior to the OP), he and the nurse spent 30 mins trying to stop the bleeding and finally had to cauterise the wound. They had constant pressure and years of experience plus the use of all the available equipment yet they had a hard time stopping the bleeding. After the OP the following day my head and face was swollen all over and looked like Id taken a real beating!Anyway, to the problem I have. Looking at my kit, if I was cut in a similar way, I would like to have the best equipment to deal with the bleed until I can get medical help. What do you suggest that I carry?I know the Military have Trauma kits and Blow out kits. Would these be the sort of thing I should be looking at?Any help would be helpful.Thanks in advance!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Trauma kits are fine if you are trained to use the contents.

Can't beat a First Field Dressing and direct digital pressure.

Sometimes, simple works.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
It seems clingfilm may be a good contender. Especially good for burns. Speaking from experience Dr's love it to treat wounds.

I think you would be able to seal off the wound stopping it from further bleeding and the clingfilm is clean and low adhereant. You can shape and layer it at will. also you can vary pressure.

I know its not cool, expensive, ex mod or in cammo, but in my mind probably the most adaptable and versatile FAK wound dressing you can use until you get to A&E.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Elevate, direct pressure, indirect pressure, torniquet in that order. In my experience that will stop even the most catastrophic bleeding. Just remember pressure means PRESSURE! If it doesnt hurt press harder, LEAVE IT ALONE, dont keep checking if its still bleeding every 5 mins.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Pressure.
It's not about what's in your first aid kit.

If you have a condition that is that serious then you might consider sticking a spare mobile phone and a tea towel in your first aid kit.

You might also want to think about a first aid course.

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
If it's a pre-existing condition, and it involves blood clotting (or lack of) I would be asking my doctor, or a qualified medical professional for advice, rather than asking people you don't know on a bushcraft forum. Things like Quikclot need a certain amount of knowledge/training to use......Just saying......:)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bleed, it runs like water :sigh:
Elevate, pressure, pack/pad it, bind it, leave it alone.
Unless you have 'no' clotting ability, and the wound isn't something like a violent assault, then those will work until you get to A&E.

You can pack stuff like quikclot, or the Israeli pressure bandages, but tbh....get on a decent first aid course intended for outdoor activity provision folks and learn how and when to use those, before you pack them in your kit.
We're not in a battlefield trauma situation, but we do use sharps, and injuries do happen to active people.

The mess is the worst of it I find :sigh: damned red juice runs everywhere. Clean hankie and triangular bandage are very good things :D as are the non stick wound pads. (Melolin) Cover the wound, even if it's leaking red stuff, pad it (teatowel, tshirt, shemagh, socks...whatever works) and bind it firmly. You can do that with the old fashioned triangular bandage on virtually any part of the body. Doesn't weigh much but it works.

Here's to non leakage :D

cheers,
Toddy

Huggie

Apr 6, 2014
Dundee
Hi Tristar 777

I have always found coffee granules are an excellent coagulant. I have used them on a few extreme mountaineering wounds with great success over the years. Coffee sachets are a must in the first aid kit. Aaahh memories - old sweaty socks and plenty of coffee granules - stops the bleeding almost straight away -let the hospital deal with sterilising the wound!
Word of advice - expresso coffee will not stop the bleeding quicker!

Cheers
Huggie

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Indirect pressure and elevation have been taken out the equation for some time for serious bleeds. Its direct pressure then tourniquet if applicable. They still have a place in some pretty obscure cases. Non compressible minor extremity bleeds are one example but generally the poor long term efficacy of them doesn't justify them. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...a=X&ei=UbRWU_jdGa-u7Aa2qIDoDw&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAQ

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

Hi Tristar 777

I have always found coffee granules are an excellent coagulant. I have used them on a few extreme mountaineering wounds with great success over the years. Coffee sachets are a must in the first aid kit. Aaahh memories - old sweaty socks and plenty of coffee granules - stops the bleeding almost straight away -let the hospital deal with sterilising the wound!
Word of advice - expresso coffee will not stop the bleeding quicker!

Cheers
Huggie

Absolutely agree. This is the standard method we use.

Brrrr...
Slab-rash....
Iceaxe-slash
Crampon-crash
Headrock-bash

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. Thanks for the answers so far. Just a couple of replies. Coffee, I love that Idea, is that with milk and sugar? Lol. Just kidding! Ive never heard of that before I must check that out further, especially at the cost of Quick Clot. On Ebay it £14 for 25 gram pack. That's the pad rather than the granules. But if they work! The reason as I said earlier that Im asking people on a forum is that I value peoples experience. It doesn't mean I would blindly follow any advice before checking things out for myself, but often speaking to other people helps me formulate the questions that I then need to ask "professionals" in a particular field to get the information I need. Also there are some very experienced Doctors and Nurses on this and other forums that enjoy bushcraft.
I have done a First Aid course with the Royal Navy so I know about elevating the wound, pressure etc but as per my first post my thoughts were that if it takes 30 mins for two experienced medical professionals with all the equipment, what will help me cope when on my own in the woods after say a fall or accident with minimum equipment? What would you take if in a similar situation that you feel would help?

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Hi. Thanks for the answers so far. Just a couple of replies. Coffee, I love that Idea, is that with milk and sugar? Lol. Just kidding! Ive never heard of that before I must check that out further, especially at the cost of Quick Clot. On Ebay it £14 for 25 gram pack. That's the pad rather than the granules. But if they work! The reason as I said earlier that Im asking people on a forum is that I value peoples experience. It doesn't mean I would blindly follow any advice before checking things out for myself, but often speaking to other people helps me formulate the questions that I then need to ask "professionals" in a particular field to get the information I need. Also there are some very experienced Doctors and Nurses on this and other forums that enjoy bushcraft.
I have done a First Aid course with the Royal Navy so I know about elevating the wound, pressure etc but as per my first post my thoughts were that if it takes 30 mins for two experienced medical professionals with all the equipment, what will help me cope when on my own in the woods after say a fall or accident with minimum equipment? What would you take if in a similar situation that you feel would help?

A cute nurse? :)

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Superglue and gunpowder will stop most things in an emergency... they may not the be the most comfortable or best healing of treatments... but they will save your life and stop any bleeding in an emergency.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I was under the impression that tourniquets were a big no-no for any wound; am I misinformed?

I hope not. I still have one I was issued with in my FAK.

One of those things you hope you'll NEVER have to use, because then it's all got a bit serious, but it's there if it's needed.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Touniquets can cause you to lose a limb if immediate first aid is not available. You have maybe an hour before bad things start happening with one... They are great if you are with someone who can treat the wound you have fairly quickly though.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Was the doctor and nurse trauma trained? I've responded a few times to doctors surgerys for patients needing resucitation and a&e mega fast. Always surprised me that GP's and local doctors staff aren't really clued up for immediate resus...
My two pennies worth would be to ask your gp about the prescription you're on and ask about methods to stop bleeding; my mother has the same issue; a serious bleed needs quikclot for her. Anything Major would be pressure and elevation. In direct pressure is not ruled out if arterial!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
IF you're not practised in bleeds and major bleeds; don't put yourself in an awkward position- don't use blades on your own. It's stressful and worrying with bad bleeds let alone if you have no experience of dealing with them mate

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE