Stoney Creek / Ridgeline as Swazi Tahr alternative????????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grallocher

May 14, 2010
Scotland
Morning all,

I have been looking at a possible alternative to my old Swazi Tahr and have found one or two similar products which could be in the running.
I wonder if any fellow forum members have experience of these and I’d appreciate any input you may have both good and bad

First up is the Stoney Creek Sika Top:

http://www.stoneycreekshop.com.au/Sika-Top-p-16-20-1000.html

I really like this design (windproof silent series) and as it’ll be used for stalking and general out and about activities, I prefer the quiet/breathable material as sometimes I boil in the bag when using goretex
The one and only thing I missed on the Tahr was not having hand warmer type pockets in a conventional place? Granted they are only used if I’m not belly crawling but this one is possibly top of my list.
I’d love to here of anyone’s experience especially how the garments are cut with regards to being close fitting or looser for their respective sizes.

------------------------------

Second up is the Ridgeline Monsoon:

http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/ridgeline_jackets.html#jackets

http://www.guncity.co.nz/ridgeline-monsoon-performance-jacket-teak-3-layer-xidp227638.html

I really have little info on these so if anyone from NZ is more familiar I’d like to hear their opinions on these garments as another possible alternative? They seem keenly priced even considering import duties too?

Thanks for reading!!

Cheers all
G.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
interesting jackets. However, the two ridgeline selling sites show very different colors on the Monsoon jacket. Also, I think this is a design theft from Swazi? Isn't Swazi known for the NZ production? I'd rather shell out a bit more and support humane labour and good QA, than support a design stealing company. But then again, might just be me, I don't know for sure what ridgelines policies are. Not meaning to sound rude. It's just that I kind of feel sorry for Swazi you know.

How do you find the design? My experience from membrane jackets is that they are very sweaty and that you really need vents. As these have no zip vents, and only half the front zip I think I would probably die from dehydration. Can you roll up the sleeves?

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Morning all,

I have been looking at a possible alternative to my old Swazi Tahr and have found one or two similar products which could be in the running.
I wonder if any fellow forum members have experience of these and I’d appreciate any input you may have both good and bad

First up is the Stoney Creek Sika Top:

http://www.stoneycreekshop.com.au/Sika-Top-p-16-20-1000.html

I really like this design (windproof silent series) and as it’ll be used for stalking and general out and about activities, I prefer the quiet/breathable material as sometimes I boil in the bag when using goretex
The one and only thing I missed on the Tahr was not having hand warmer type pockets in a conventional place? Granted they are only used if I’m not belly crawling but this one is possibly top of my list.
I’d love to here of anyone’s experience especially how the garments are cut with regards to being close fitting or looser for their respective sizes.

------------------------------

Second up is the Ridgeline Monsoon:

http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/ridgeline_jackets.html#jackets

http://www.guncity.co.nz/ridgeline-monsoon-performance-jacket-teak-3-layer-xidp227638.html

I really have little info on these so if anyone from NZ is more familiar I’d like to hear their opinions on these garments as another possible alternative? They seem keenly priced even considering import duties too?

Thanks for reading!!

Cheers all
G.

Hi,

Both are cut on the large size. The Stoney creek one is not a waterproof it's a windproof fleece. For bush hunting in NZ it would make a lot of sense a fleece is fast drying and quiet. So it compares in Style to the Thar not waterproof performance.

Ridgeline is another good brand and this one is a breatheable material of some sort. For the cost I don't think you'd be upset with either if your using them for stalking. I think they do them in Green for bush and Khaki for above bush/ tussock pretty much like the Swazi Thar...

Ridgeline stuff is made in China ( along with 85% of the outdoor clothing in the world) I think Stoney Creek is the same..

You might take a look at the stuff hunting and fishing sell as well.

They tend to only do green (for bush) not khaki for the open tops.

http://www.huntingandfishing.co.nz/

Reasonably priced and it works well.

As for feeling bad about buying stuff that's a rip off of Swazi..:rolleyes:

Well an over the head cagoule style jacket is a pretty common sight here, Swanndri made a garment of similar styling for a few years it makes good sense for folk hunting in bush or on the open tops probably wearing boots and shorts regardless of the weather the length covers the lower legs...

Good luck in getting what you need..

Cheers

John

Grallocher

May 14, 2010
Scotland
Also, I think this is a design theft from Swazi? Isn't Swazi known for the NZ production?

I'm really not sure on your point above, I wouldn't like to accuse anyone of product theft.
I may be wrong here but I think this type of design was first used way before Swazi started making garments in 1994?

It would be hard to pin point the date of develpoment for a general smock type over garment considering here in the UK our very own Parachute Regimnent "Dennison" smock's go as far back as World War 2

I'd rather shell out a bit more and support humane labour and good QA, than support a design stealing company. But then again, might just be me,

If ethics were a main consideration when buying a product then ideally everything would have to be made by 100% recycled material or with fully naturally sustained resources, be manufactured locally with a minimum carbon footprint by highly paid skilled workers.
Reality is a little different though isn't it, even Patagonia who are a big contributor to the environment and promote conservation and the great outdoors make some of their own gear in China so it's an ethical compromise isn't it?

Might sound hypocritical here but the global economic dowturn soon makes £££'s and $$$'s the main drive for many consumers, regardless of their ethics to a point, myself included - Rightly or wrongly??
But thats a whole different ball game and way off topic :)

How do you find the design? My experience from membrane jackets is that they are very sweaty and that you really need vents. As these have no zip vents, and only half the front zip I think I would probably die from dehydration. Can you roll up the sleeves?

I find with my Swazi Tahr, which is getting on abit now, that I do get a bit too warm if I'm climbing up steep hills all day (just with a merino wool base layer) and the lack of pit zips sometimes make me a bit " boil-in-the-bag"
This now has me erring towards the windproof fleece/non-waterproof type of outer (like the Sika top) this time round hence my original post for advice on who has experience of the equipment I had shortlisted.

Hi,

Both are cut on the large size. The Stoney creek one is not a waterproof it's a windproof fleece. For bush hunting in NZ it would make a lot of sense a fleece is fast drying and quiet. So it compares in Style to the Thar not waterproof performance.

Ridgeline is another good brand and this one is a breatheable material of some sort. For the cost I don't think you'd be upset with either if your using them for stalking. I think they do them in Green for bush and Khaki for above bush/ tussock pretty much like the Swazi Thar...

Ridgeline stuff is made in China ( along with 85% of the outdoor clothing in the world) I think Stoney Creek is the same..

You might take a look at the stuff hunting and fishing sell as well.

They tend to only do green (for bush) not khaki for the open tops.

http://www.huntingandfishing.co.nz/

Reasonably priced and it works well.

As for feeling bad about buying stuff that's a rip off of Swazi..:rolleyes:

Well an over the head cagoule style jacket is a pretty common sight here, Swanndri made a garment of similar styling for a few years it makes good sense for folk hunting in bush or on the open tops probably wearing boots and shorts regardless of the weather the length covers the lower legs...

Good luck in getting what you need..

Cheers

John

Thanks John,

Exactly the info I was after.

Good to know they have a roomier cut, means if I go for the silent/windproof style then I can layer accordingly.

Quiet material & stealth is a major factor in my deciding on a new smock.

After some more research I think its the Stoney Creek job i'll be getting, however, I wasn't aware of the H&F brand.

This also looks like decent kit and I'll have to research this a little more.

As I'm buying blind in a sense, all I can do is go by recommendations and replies like yours to help me decide so cheers for that.

G

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
As I'm buying blind in a sense, all I can do is go by recommendations and replies like yours to help me decide so cheers for that.

G

No problem I hope you get fixed up with something..

I've got some Swazi kit and some H+F kit and TBH its pretty much of a muchness. I guess they know how to sew in both Levin and Guangdong to the same standard....

Cheers

John

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hi again, I did mean to answer right away but my broad band died...

Sorry all if I came out sounding a bit self righteous. I didn't realise it was such a common item, I thought it was a clear rip-off from Swazi. And you are all right about chinese manufacturing, I would think about 95% of all clothing is made there, and sure buy whatever suits your wallet.

Thanks johnboy for your insights into this matter. Just a question, if your walking with shorts and a long top, don't you get problems with mozzzies, ticks and the like?

Regarding the anorak style jacket, it's mainly derived from inuit summer clothing if I'm not mistaken.

Green Arrow

Nov 5, 2006
Hampshire UK
Hi I have had the Stoney Creek Sambar, jacket for years, don't use it so much now, but a good jacket, has very good breathability and is quite windproof, but not as windproof as a fleece with Gortex wind stopper or Swanndri's wind stopper fabric. Will certainly keep off the odd shower and I found can be reproofed with Nikwax but not really a waterproof . Nice and quiet for stalking and does not pill to badly. Fleece is quite tough and short pile so does not catch easily. I would agree cut quite large. Hope it's of some help might be worth a look on Swanndri's site as they have some quite good stuff.

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Thanks johnboy for your insights into this matter. Just a question, if your walking with shorts and a long top, don't you get problems with mozzzies, ticks and the like?

Not really. Sandflys can be a pest but you get used to em and I'm convinced you build up an immunity to the bites..

Wearing shorts for tramping/ hunting and general outdoor activity is very common here in NZ. If it's cold you just wear long johns and put shorts on top.. Not many folk spend a fortune on Fjallraven trousers here..

In the alpine environment or snow it's a different matter but bush and to a degree on the open tops shorts are very common indeed...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
most people here don't spend fortunes on fjällräven here either. It's hard to do blanket statements and comparisons since there is a huge difference in climate and terrain.

Would you mind doing a review of some ridgeline and/or h&f garnments? Specially membrane items.

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
i've been lookin at the ridgeline monsson as i have quite a bit of there clothing.. all is great quality easy as good as my rm swazi fleece... i've got a guy down the road from me who stocks quite a bit of ridgeline stuff and he's gonna look into getting me some bits from his supplier.. i like this http://www.ridgeline.co.nz/index.php?page=classic-hooded-anorak he's gonna check out the exchange price's for me...

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
i know he orders his stuff from highland outdoors but they r a whole sale shop only to retail... will check and c if he has a website...

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
popped in to see the guy the other day and he called his supplier and they r def importing the monsoon jacket but aren't sure of the price yet so will keep u updated.. and the fleece anorak they said they aren't bringing that in so am gonna try getting one from new zealand...

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
monsoon jacket is in the uk now.. the shop near me only had large and x large so gonna get him to order me a med.. retail at about 100 quid i was well surprised they looked really nice... give these guys a call they should be able to tell u ur nearest stockist.. http://www.highlandoutdoors.co.uk/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE