Stone age man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 26, 2009
Bolsover
Cresswell Crags Cave Art
Until recently it was believed that people visiting and using caves in Britian during the Ice Age were not decorating the caves with pictures of animals and other markings. This was despite having all the necessary tools and materials, ochre, manganese and charcoal.
However, a team of archaeologists made a remarkable discovery at Creswell Crags in April 2003. They found the first and only example of rock art from the Ice Age. All of the pictures found were engraved into the rock and as far as is known colour was not applied to the figures.
The pictures range from complete figures of animals to geometric shapes and individual vertical lines.
Close to the entrance in Church Hole, on a flat surface of rock, is an engraving of an ibex, a goat-like animal. Beneath the figure Ice Age hunters have engraved a series of vertical lines. Deeper within Church Hole, engraved figures were found and are believed to be birds with long necks.
Why are works of art like the Robin Hood Cave horse so rare in England?
It is likely that Stone Age people did not settle at Creswell Crags for long periods of time but visited for a short season. People on the move, nomadic hunters, may not have wanted to carry anything but essential equipment around with them and may have avoided producing valuable items while they were here.
They may also have practised art in forms which do not survive today. For example, they might have painted their bodies and braided their hair with shells and feathers. They may have sewn patterns into their clothes using different colour furs and skins.
In order for the stone age artists to leave their engravings they would have used Stone tools such as burins that are excellent for engraving outlines, modelling and sculpturing bone and antler. The burin was used and held like a modern pencil.

It appears that cresswell crags is one of very few sites in the UK that actually has cave art leading to the possibility that ancient inhabitence of this country were very nomadic and moved frequently, possibly not having the time to paint and leave there mark. But for the ones that did find the time they have left large clues as to what type of animals they hunted and ate.

What tools did ancient man have?
As far as we know ancient man would have used natural materials such as wood and stone. As for how they came about making such tools is a harder question to answer.
One possible answer is that the first tools were discovered by accident, i.e. a "caveman" is stalking his pray and it turns on him, he falls picks up a large stick and hits the animal with it! now sencing that he has just made his life easier by using a big heavy stick to kill somthing he has just created his first tool. Now It could be assumed that the other people in his hunting party would have witnessed this use of the "tool" and have decided that it would be better to go hunting with big heavy sticks, instead of hitting an animal to death with there bear hands.

Fire
It is believed by some that FIRE was first created by lightening. Caveman saw the fire and was attracted to it. Maybe they would have thought that a part of the sun had broken off and fallen to earth. It is believed that fire was first used and controlled by caveman about 1,420,000 years ago. Although caveman did not know how to create fire himself using friction or flint until about 7000B.C. Fire was used to keep warm, cook, illuminate and later to clear forests of trees to create open areas to better hunt animals.
At some point in early mans progress, the ability to create fire was discovered. It may have been by accident, noone knows for sure as there are no written records. But we do know that when early man did know how to make fire he used flint and friction meathods.
Fire by Friction

Rather than creating a spark into tinder, fire by friction causes the fuel to heat up until it reaches the combustion temperature and ignites. This is around 800 degrees fahrenheit. Moisture is the biggest obstacle to overcome when attempting to create fire by rubbing wood. Start with extremely dry wood and keep it dry to ensure success. In areas of higher humidity, more effort is required.
Following are some of the more common methods of creating fire by friction in order of increasing complexness. All of these methods create a coal of smoldering wood dust which is then transfered to waiting tinder to be coaxed into flame. They also employ one piece of hard wood and another slightly softer wood which wears away. Neither of these woods should be too soft nor too hard. Excessive resin in the wood will also cause failure since it will cause the wood to become polished and smooth.
These are simple introductions to each method. Individual success depends on strength, practice, materials used, and troubleshooting. These methods require a lot of effort and consistency.
Some woods to consider using:
Cedar
Willow and Redwood
Yucca and Oak

One meathod of fire lighting that could have been discovered by accident is the fire plough, the individual could have been trying to shape a piece of wood when he saw smoke, below I have detailed how this works;
Form a plow board of softer wood that is flat and a couple inches across and 2 feet long.
Form a plow stick that is hardwood and has a sharpened tip.
Cut or rub a depression about 6 or 8 inches long in the plow board. This is the trough in which you will scrape the plow stick.
Hold the plow board firm as shown or kneel on it or sit on it if it is a longer board. The idea is to keep the board steady.
Point the plow stick into the plow board at about a 60 degree angle and push it forward with downward pressure.
Release the downward pressure and pull the plow stick back to the start of the trough.
Push and pull the plow stick quickly, creating wood dust at the far end of the trough. It is important to end each stroke at the same spot so dust can accumulate there.
Eventually, the wood dust will combust and can be pushed into waiting tinder. (From Ray Mears Survival)
Tools
Cutting tools for early man would have not have been made from steels, they would have been fasioned from pieces of stone, the process of making such tools is a highly skilled procedure called flint knapping, that today people would be hard pressed to learn, but for early man the only way to get a cutting tool was by making one. Other tools were fassioned from materials that were redily available, such as wood, bone and antler.
Out of these materials early man was able to create spears and bows, that were highly efficient killing tools.
As far as other tools like baskets and carrying devices are concerned, there is no physical evidence that they were used, yet it does seem likely that early man would have had to construct some sort of "bag" to carry his every day essentials.

I can possibly catagorise clothing as a tool, these were made from animal hides, probably cut using the stone tools mentioned earlier, clothing would have been functional not fassionable. Looking at bushcraft skills used today, especially the production of cordage (string) we must assume that early man also had the knowledge of what plants were useful for what purpose. One of the most important Cro-Magnon inventions was the needle. Needles were made out of slivers of animal bone; they were sharpened to a point at one end and had an eye at the other end. With a needle, Cro-Magnon man could sew carefully cut pieces of fur into better fitting garments. Evidence suggests that Cro-Magnon people developed close-fitting pants and shirts that would protect them from the cold, as well as shawls, hoods, and long boots. Because they had not learned how to tan hides to soften them, the animal skin would have been stiff at first, but with repeated wearings it would become very soft and comfortable. Jacquetta Hawkes, author of The Atlas of Early Man, believes that Cro-Magnon clothes approached those of modern Eskimos in their excellence of construction.

Society of early man is possibly the hardest thing to either prove or disprove, we know that early man somtimes used caves as refuge, evidence of this can be found in places such as Cresswell Crags in Derbyshire, where cave paintings and stone tools have been discovered, but as to how many different "families" lived in the area we can only guess. For example, early man may have been teratorial, in which case he would have faught to defend his hunting and foraging rights. As yet we have no clear picture of there society except that they were hunter gatherers.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
was believed
as far as is known
are believed
may not
may have
may also
mighthave
They may have
It appears possibly
As far as we know
would have
how they
One possible answer
could be assumed
believed by some
Maybe
It is believed
It may have
could have
could have
would have
would have
no physical evidence
seem likely
probably
must assume
Evidence suggests
believes that
prove or disprove
somtimes
only guess
may have
no clear picture

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
was believed
as far as is known
are believed
may not
may have
may also
mighthave
They may have
It appears possibly
As far as we know
would have
how they
One possible answer
could be assumed
believed by some
Maybe
It is believed
It may have
could have
could have
would have
would have
no physical evidence
seem likely
probably
must assume
Evidence suggests
believes that
prove or disprove
somtimes
only guess
may have
no clear picture

Eh ?

My head hurts :confused:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Wow, that is some lengthy post. :)
Might be easier to follow, and read, if you stuck in a few more carriage returns between paragraphs.:bluThinki Running it through a spell checker wouldn't hurt either. It would just make it easier to read. If you write something long, and want folk to plough through it, it helps to make things as clear as possible.

QDanT…you don’t know my boss do you? That is just the kind of think that he would have picked up on in one of my reports when I first started work! :lmao: I guess that it is rather less forgivable in engineering than it is in archaeology.:p Much as I hated it at the time, I reckon that his nagging got me to break some bad habits; well, some but not all :rolleyes: :lmao:

Jun 26, 2009
Bolsover
the full version of that assignment was twelve pages long and covered the whole topic of early man.

I know I wrote it.

It passed and I got an A for it

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Spelling and layout aside it is a fairly lengthy post, you could try breaking it up with some embedded images.

Do you have any photographs of the work being done at Creswell Crags?

These, on what I presume must be your own page at the Creswell Heritage Trust were some of the best I could find. :)

Last edited:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
the full version of that assignment was twelve pages long and covered the whole topic of early man.

I know I wrote it.

In which subject?

You tend to spell words phonetically which is a pretty common problem - they're close though, so a spell checker would help.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

I know I wrote it.

Wow I’ve not met someone who twirls fire. Must be time consuming running a website in new Zealand and taking a degree in archaeology.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Creswell Crags was on my list of places to visit since I found out about it ages ago and particularly after reading Homo Britannicus by Chris Stringer.

Unfortunately you can only get into the caves as part of the tour which we didn't manage to get on.
They were also building a new visitors center so that should be now complete.

Creswell Crags

Worth an afternoon if you are in the area. It is interesting to think back to what it would have been like back when it was occupied. In the Summer much of the rock is obscured by vegetation I've still not been back in the Spring or Winter.

CreswellCrags7.jpg

CreswellCrags2.jpg

CreswellCrags1.jpg

CreswellCrags3.jpg
CreswellCrags4.jpg

CreswellCrags4.jpg
CreswellCrags6.jpg

Stu

I know its a very old post, but I would like to comment, as Ive taken so much of my time reading the thread now!

I can understand QDanT point, there are too many unsures in the evidence, Could this be because your point of referance is the book called 'The Atlas of Early Man'?

I'm not bashing anyone, but I have hundreds of books on ancient history, and the problem I've found is, the further back in time the book was published the less secure the evidence seems to be. Relying mainly on guess work and speculation! I think this book was first published in 1976! Not Good in my view if your after a deeper truth on the bigger picture of man.. I'm reading a book at the moment called 'After The Ice, a global history, 20,000BC to 5,000BC.

In the publication there is firm evidence that 'Caveman' was already settled permanently, in stone built villages within the fertile crescent of Isreal by 12,300BC! I'm sure if they were building huts with stone, that they would know how to use fire to place inside for warmth.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not intending to bash any views, I'm just trying to point out that new discovery's are being uncovered all the time! Older books 'points of view' shouldn't be taken as gospel/fact, more rather as an historical document themselves, on how people viewed history in say.. 1976!
In my opinion, 'The old views of 'caveman' are so out dated.

Even though they had limited materials, we shouldnt underestimate the abilities of early man!.. and even with 'current' evidence.. we shouldn't underestimate how early these abilities started!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The OP had just completed a course with a correspondence school which gave him a certificate that left him under the impression that he was an honours degree archaeologist.

The school in question has been investigated for fraudulent claims.

I do know, as an honours graduate (BSc hons, Archaeology, University of Glasgow) that that essay would not have gotten past first year tutors with anything but an appalled gasp.

I'm not saying that the information is *wrong*, per se, but for it to be accepted it would need to directly quote primary evidences and give references, at the very least.

However, this is a bushcraft forum, and interesting topics of discussion are usually welcomed :D

cheers,
Toddy

p.s the latest I heard was that Homo erectus could, and did, make fire; takes it back a lot earlier than the Fertile Crescent settlements.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's one of those perennial topics; how do you define humanity apart from the other great apes? It looks as though there may have been several *humanities* if not homo sapiens sapiens. Quite fascinating. :D

Fire, speech, tool making, tales and song, illustration, planning.......who knows ? I have very little time for those who would blind themselves to the real wonders of the scale of the development of life to create such potted history.

cheers,
Toddy

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
First time I saw this old thread and it is an interesting lesson in critical reading. I thought QDanT's response was perfect. When a journalist gets a story they want to publish but don't want to risk being sued or take the time to check if it is true they use all the terms Dan picked out. eg

"It was believed by some that little blue men lived on Mars. They may have visited Earth occasionally to abduct people. It is difficult to prove or disprove the theory with no physical evidence. One possible answer is that they were Russians in disguise, it appears possible that it is an international conspiracy......." you get the picture.

Academic writing needs every point to be corroborated and referenced which can make it dull to read. There is also a nice in between stage well researched an written for general readership which makes it clear what is known fact and what is educated guesswork.

None of this discussion should take anything away from the fact Cresswell is an amazing site.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
First time I saw this old thread and it is an interesting lesson in critical reading. I thought QDanT's response was perfect. When a journalist gets a story they want to publish but don't want to risk being sued or take the time to check if it is true they use all the terms Dan picked out. eg

"It was believed by some that little blue men lived on Mars. They may have visited Earth occasionally to abduct people. It is difficult to prove or disprove the theory with no physical evidence. One possible answer is that they were Russians in disguise, it appears possible that it is an international conspiracy......." you get the picture.

Academic writing needs every point to be corroborated and referenced which can make it dull to read. There is also a nice in between stage well researched an written for general readership which makes it clear what is known fact and what is educated guesswork.

None of this discussion should take anything away from the fact Cresswell is an amazing site.

I'm enjoying one such "middle ground" book at the moment, "Britain BC" by Francis Pryor.

It is pitched at the layman like myself so is not too dry and technical, but is also (or seems to me to be) a serious run through of our human prehistory.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE