Stolen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Got home yesterday today to find my shared flat literally cleaned out. I'm not posting this for sympathy or condolences, but because some of the items taken were the kind of thing that could well turn up at bushcrafty/outdoorsy fairs/car boot sales or whatever. So although of course the police are doing what they can, if anybody spots any of the following items for sale anywhere I would be extremely grateful, as they are not insured but add up to a lot of money!
I realise it's a very long shot but I figure it's worth trying.
The big loss is my bearskin coat. It's a black bear skin, 3/4 length (so about 4 foot long), and double breasted, with a close fitting hood (quite unusual on bearskin coats). The upper left button (when facing) is missing and there is a small yellow stain on the lower hem. The buttons are pretty much unique, they are a red background with a Soviet star on each in white (the buttons are reindeer horn I think, so the white is just unpainted). It cost me only 300 pounds (in roubles) but looking around the net at other ones it could be going for anything up to 4000.
I have also lost both my sleeping bags (why would you pinch a sleeping bag??), the Vango summer bag and the Nanok -25, but as these have no distinguishing characteristics I suppose I will have to say goodbye to them. Never mind the computer (typing this on my flatmate's ancient Win95!), the TV... "%¤#//#!
I'd rather not supply my phone number on an open forum, but if anyone does spot my coat I would be extremely grateful if they could PM me and I will happily tell them.
Once again, I'm not posting this for sympathy, just to recover my goods.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Sorry to hear about that mate, never had anything to that magnitude but I've had a motorbike nicked before. Hope the police manage to find your gear, all the best

matt

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sh***y thing to happen. Hope you find your gear.

One of the policemen that I know, says that they usually have a fair idea of the 'type' of person who committed specific house-break-ins. Sometimes that can be used to figure out the most likely places to look for your stuff. e-bay, supermarket noticeboards, car boot sales and student newsletters/post it boards seem to come up awfully frequently.

May you have the best of luck finding your things,
Toddy

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Much sypathy Arctic, had a similar episode. Had a load of stuff in my parents caravan,and some lowlife kicked the door in and stole sleeping bags, cooking gear etc. Bas'$££"£$ had the nerve to steel the old chaps car to transport the gear. Then they burned the car out. In the process the car exploded and set fire to a brand new car they parked it next to. I would dearly like to set them on fire.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That is terrible. Something similar happened to me about 8 years ago and it sure leaves ya feeling cold. Fortunately I was able to recover most of my losses. Hope you do too.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I'm sorry that you were robbed. Someone coming into your home and taking your things is about as personal as it gets.

A few months back I lost a bow saw, swedish axe, canteen and belt knife from our pickup. The first thing the sheriff asked was, who knew the gear was there? Because nothing else was touched. He went on to say that many times when specific items are taken, it's an inside job. Meaning someone that knew your habits and hobbies, as well as what they would find when they got there.

I hope that fate smiles on you and you are able to recover your gear.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Burgalars tend to go for ground floor locations... hmmm interesting that they persisted at yours on the 4th floor! I would suspect a friend of a friend has done this.

Watch out though, after one visit for the next 2-6 months you are VERY likely to get a return visit as most people are insured and will replace stolen items with new.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
arctic hobo said:
Thanks all of you :) . Weirdest thing is we live on the fourth floor, and the door has been battered... looks like whoever did it knew where they were going in advance.

Errrrrr, not wishing to offend but apart from the computer some of the items seem a little strange for the average smackhead to be taking.

It's usually TVs, videos (not worth as much these days though) and DVD players.

The coat seems a really strange one as it's unique.

What are the other people that have access to the building like?

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I'll keep an eye out in Exeter and Torquay, I also think the bear skin coat is very strange thing to nick, sounds to me like someone who you know did this.

Greg

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Sorry to hear this mate :(

Can't help in your situation unfortunately but it is worth laying all your bushcraft gear out and taking a few photos of it and keeping the photo somewhere else safe, just in case of fire or theft. That way it makes it easier to deal with insurance companies and reminds you of all the bits of kit which often get forgotten but add up to a lot, when you come to claim. Also to use an invisible marker to note postcode/ identifying info on bigger items.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Thanks to you all. I will be careful in the coming months thanks General, certainly since it seems to be a targeted raid... at least we now have our door back. I agree Simon about all the little things adding up to a lot... here's hoping I get some of it back.
I can only guess that the bearskin was stolen because fur is very expensive - it's very obviously not fake fur and they may have considered it valuable. Looking at fur prices for similar items I can see that they could get a lot of money for it.
But lots of what they have taken is senseless - almost all my flatmate's clothes were stolen, as well as our very old and very large television - hardly worth it you'd think. The police have said there is a chance of recovering some of the less valuable items as a) everything they have taken is a possible lead/evidence and b) they took so much that they'd not want to cart it all around. Here's hoping they're right.
Thanks again for your support, it means a lot.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Chris sorry to hear you have been robbed. The amount of stuff stolen means they must have taken a while to cart it all away. looks like someone must know your movements. All very curious. Bad enough to lose something but to know that you were targeted and robbed. I hope our over worked police officers give this crime proper attention.

B

Bob Hurley

I'm sorry to hear about it, I've had a couple of cars ransacked, stereo stolen, etc. and I know how angry you must be.

I'd keep a watch on eBay for a while, they may turn up there. I did armoured combat for a while, and you'd be surprised how many armour thieves were caught because they tried to use eBay to fence the plunder.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Chris I would keep a close eye on ebay it is the perfect place to get rid of some of the more unusual items and make some money from them.

Hope you get some of it back.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Moonraker said:
Sorry to hear this mate :(

Can't help in your situation unfortunately but it is worth laying all your bushcraft gear out and taking a few photos of it and keeping the photo somewhere else safe, just in case of fire or theft. That way it makes it easier to deal with insurance companies and reminds you of all the bits of kit which often get forgotten but add up to a lot, when you come to claim. Also to use an invisible marker to note postcode/ identifying info on bigger items.

Good tip. The last thing I do before departing on holidays is do a quick room-by-room video of my home to use as an aide memoir for the insurance claim should the place have been emptied in my absence.

I also scan my drivers licence, passport, travel insurance certificates and other travel documents before leaving home. I then encrypt [self-decrypting archive] all the jpegs and send them to one of my web mail addresses. Should I lose [or have stolen] all my luggage and documents whilst on holiday, I can readily confirm my identity to the relevant authorities after a trip to the nearest internet cafe. And these seem to be fairly obiquitous, even in the planet's backwaters.

Vince

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE